HC Candidates | Page 8 | The Boneyard

HC Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed. Could you land the next Brian Kelly from a Grand Valley State? Possibly. But I think that UConn needs to land a person with name recognition in order to not only jump start the team, but also to jump start the fanbase and to continue to grow our recruiting...
Good point... watching Michigan do work on ND right now and saw part of MD's blow out win earlier today... The next couple of weeks will say a bunch about our team... I'm already pessimistic... if Coach P doesn't have our troops ready to show up at either game I say the coaching search shouldn't wait til closer to season's end.

Reaction Score
After last night, I am guessing that Lane Kifflin (USC) and Mack Brown (Texas) may be available as an interim football coach for UConn very soon, not that I would want either.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Based on what I'm watching right now, Schiano should be fired by Thanksgiving. He's got a circus going on down there, sprinkled with charity cases from Rutgers all over his roster.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Honestly, what about DJ?
He's a position coach right? For a Div IA football program you gotta bring in somebody with at least coordinator experience. Can't be learning all the program management stuff on the fly here, maybe at a Div II-III school.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can I pull back PJ Fleck. Don't know what he's got player wise but losing to Nicholls State is like UConn losing in basketball to Eastern.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
PJ Fleck is at the top of my current mental list.

September 3rd, 2013. Anyone know how PJ Fleck turned out?

Just ignore when I got a little scared :)

#scoreboard

Reaction Score
Since we are restarting this thread, how about we look at Randy Edsall. He had great success here, and we are certainly willing to forgive and forget. Gives him a chance to become a head coach again, and I would be tickled to once again talk about HCRE. Those were the days! Little did we know.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He begged for the job and I think he is the kind of guy who would be proud to step in.

That was 3 years ago, and I don't remember reading about him "begging". If you have inside info then I stand corrected, but I always considered the BY to have more interest in Weist than he had in us.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
That was 3 years ago, and I don't remember reading about him "begging". If you have inside info then I stand corrected, but I always considered the BY to have more interest in Weist than he had in us.
Whether that's the case or not, there are only so many FBS HC jobs out there, and nobody is currently beating down his door. It's a stretch to imagine he WOULDN'T be interested, you know?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Whether that's the case or not, there are only so many FBS HC jobs out there, and nobody is currently beating down his door. It's a stretch to imagine he WOULDN'T be interested, you know?

He's overseeing one of the top offenses in the G5. He will have options this offseason - and he very well may spring for a school with less institutional prestige than us if he likes what he sees on their roster more than ours. Being a Michigan native, I can see him potentially taking Fleck's spot at WMU after he gets poached, winning a couple of MAC championships, and snagging a P5 job in 2019 or 2020.

Reaction Score
He wants an HC job. You might be right that he has moved past UConn especially with his current success as OC and other schools looking at him. But, he'll jump with the first decent HC offer. He had the taste and wants it. That much is known. I have no specific info beyond that.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He's overseeing one of the top offenses in the G5. He will have options this offseason - and he very well may spring for a school with less institutional prestige than us if he likes what he sees on their roster more than ours.
I doubt he'll have options with higher upside than us. For as miserable as the last 6 years have been, we still have the biggest G5 budget and great facilities. You can get to a New Year's Day bowl at UConn, and I'm sure he knows it.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I doubt he'll have options with higher upside than us. For as miserable as the last 6 years have been, we still have the biggest G5 budget and great facilities. You can get to a New Year's Day bowl at UConn, and I'm sure he knows it.

It's possible to be successful here, but he could be courted by places that are much further along in that process than we are.

Reaction Score
I really don't want a coordinator. I want a game manager, preferably with an offensive mindset. Someone who is already used to the recruiting cycle. A coordinator needs to build his first staff basically from scratch, whereas a proven MAC or top D2 coach can just bring his staff, as this is obviously a clean-house job; incompetency across the board.

If that's not possible, I'll take a P5 coordinator, but I don't want anyone with under 10 years experience. Someone who has actually spent a lot of time on the sidelines, preferably with a good coach, and learn how the game is managed. These up-and-coming guys like Diaco who win these stupid coordinator of the year awards (most useless awards in sport) have no idea what is going on in the executive position, at least at this level of football. Diaco flew too close to the sun.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think that Moorhead and Weist are two good choices. The upsetting thing is that I thought Weist was a good choice when he was the interim.

Would either candidate be able to recruit? I don't know. But they can coach. They can run a team. Get it done, Benedict...

Reaction Score
I think that Moorhead and Weist are two good choices. The upsetting thing is that I thought Weist was a good choice when he was the interim.

Would either candidate be able to recruit? I don't know. But they can coach. They can run a team. Get it done, Benedict...

I think with the right staff and budget Moorhead could make an immediate impact on this train wreck. Deserves serious consideration.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Again, my choice is still Todd Orlando (if he wants to be a HC) with TJ weist as his OC

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Again, my choice is still Todd Orlando (if he wants to be a HC) with TJ weist as his OC
If Hermann gets the UT job, Orlando will make a good amount more as his DC than we could pay any HC.

Reaction Score
TJ Weist is our man. Low cost. Wants the job. Knows the school and program and will be ready day 1. Again, proving he can get a high scoring offense on the field. Guy is buttoned up, classy and commands respect. GET IT DONE.
His wife also loved working in the Business School although now with 3 kids that might not be high on her list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom