HC Candidates | Page 10 | The Boneyard

HC Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chiller99.5

For me finding a coach who can do more with less should be the first item. The climate and conference is a big deterrent for speed burners and most players from the south.Installing an offense such as the flexbone is a fast way to alleviate recruiting issues and succeed because of a system not individual talent.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No, we hired one of the hottest coordinators who wasn't head coach material. It happens. Our list needs to be built from.

- "The Jim Tressel Model" Winning FCS coaches who aren't feasting on bad competition and have local players fall into their laps. Must be a guy that can identify, recruit, and develop talent. Our recruiting cred is in the toilet. Known talent isnt coming here in large numbers.

- "The Butch Davis Model" A proven HC who gets bounced from a big program so long as he still has the fire to win. Don't need anyone broken or just looking to cash a check.

- "The Randy Edsall Model" An NFL assistant with college recruiting experience looking for a head job.

- "The Scott Frost Model" A college coordinator who everyone thinks will be a good HC but needs a chance.

Within all these groups are hits and misses. DB needs to find the right guy. If Tom Hermans staff blows up, I take a run at one of those guys but I think one will get the Houston job and the other go with him to Texas. I'd give Charlie Strong a look, see if he still has the fire, but I think our best move is the NFL assistant route so long as he can build a solid college staff and recruit. I'd try the FCS route as the #2 option, but there are likely only one or two guys worth taking a shot on.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
No, we hired one of the hottest coordinators who wasn't head coach material. It happens. Our list needs to be built from.

- "The Jim Tressel Model" Winning FCS coaches who aren't feasting on bad competition and have local players fall into their laps. Must be a guy that can identify, recruit, and develop talent. Our recruiting cred is in the toilet. Known talent isnt coming here in large numbers.

- "The Butch Davis Model" A proven HC who gets bounced from a big program so long as he still has the fire to win. Don't need anyone broken or just looking to cash a check.

- "The Randy Edsall Model" An NFL assistant with college recruiting experience looking for a head job.

- "The Scott Frost Model" A college coordinator who everyone thinks will be a good HC but needs a chance.

Within all these groups are hits and misses. DB needs to find the right guy. If Tom Hermans staff blows up, I take a run at one of those guys but I think one will get the Houston job and the other go with him to Texas. I'd give Charlie Strong a look, see if he still has the fire, but I think our best move is the NFL assistant route so long as he can build a solid college staff and recruit. I'd try the FCS route as the #2 option, but there are likely only one or two guys worth taking a shot on.

We should go with someone who has had successful HC experience - a proven leader. Bobby D is a good cheerleader for the program, but he is not a leader or an X and O guy. That is why he fails on the field and the locker room. A successful HC from a smaller program has demonstrated leadership experience. He can hire guys to do the X and O work if he doesn't have it. Convincing young men to play better than they think they can play - that is what a leader can do and what we need.

Reaction Score
Tresses
Rich Rod
Petrino

Anyone else? And don't give me the "character issues" because we can't worry about them.

If Diaco gets canned, I like Tony Sparano. He is a Connecticut native with NFL head coaching experience. He also specializes in the West Coast offense. If UCONN couldn't bring him in as head coach due to buy out, maybe offensive coordinator with BD coughing up some of his salary to reel him in. This is the kind of thing needed to make a dramatic statement. He is currently Offensive line coach for the Vikes where interestingly, Norv Turner just resigned as offensive coordinator. Hmmmm. No denying that I have been a Diaco advocate from day one but considering how awful things have gone, I do agree with the majority of the Boneyard that something needs to happen. It will be interesting to see what transpires in the coming months. Corley seems like a nice guy and maybe someday will be a top coordinator but he obviously does not have enough experience to turn the offense around.

I found this article somewhat ironic:

Vikings coach Tony Sparano losing sleep over offensive line issues

Reaction Score
Boring, neanderthal garbage.

Throw the ball.
Exactly, football on the collegiate level is all about spreading the field. But....have to find a qb that can do it.

Reaction Score
If Diaco gets canned, I like Tony Sparano. He is a Connecticut native with NFL head coaching experience. He also specializes in the West Coast offense. If UCONN couldn't bring him in as head coach due to buy out, maybe offensive coordinator with BD coughing up some of his salary to reel him in. This is the kind of thing needed to make a dramatic statement. He is currently Offensive line coach for the Vikes where interestingly, Norv Turner just resigned as offensive coordinator. Hmmmm. No denying that I have been a Diaco advocate from day one but considering how awful things have gone, I do agree with the majority of the Boneyard that something needs to happen. It will be interesting to see what transpires in the coming months. Corley seems like a nice guy and maybe someday will be a top coordinator but he obviously does not have enough experience to turn the offense around.

I found this article somewhat ironic:

Vikings coach Tony Sparano losing sleep over offensive line issues

If you love field goals, Sparano is your guy.

Reaction Score
Al Golden

God I hate him, but, this could be a situation that might work for him. I think he is probably better as a coach of a team that is an underdog and has to stay close to try and "steal" wins as opposed to trying to hammer the opposition with a lot of talent. The real problem is that if you get Al, you probably Get D'oNofrio with him, and that guy is poison, period.

Reaction Score
God I hate him, but, this could be a situation that might work for him. I think he is probably better as a coach of a team that is an underdog and has to stay close to try and "steal" wins as opposed to trying to hammer the opposition with a lot of talent. The real problem is that if you get Al, you probably Get D'oNofrio with him, and that guy is poison, period.
Start looking at the boards of other schools that will need coaches in the ACC and B1G. And then start building the list of people below those schools. One of the more credible ones I see are Morehead taking a job and bringing Golden as OC and Edsall as DC as all 3 of them have some common roots and would actually make a lot of sense as a package. Golden's strength has always been recruiting. I have heard this from a UVA guy and NC State would give that a look too.

People here need to come to grips with reality. If Diaco is let go (50/50 at best in my mind), you need to look at FCS coaches to get one with HC experience, or you are looking at moderately successful coordinators from teams outside of the top 30. And, you must avoid any coordinator that has been passed over for a HC position by any school at any level.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Hire a consultant and let the chips fall where they may.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Hire a consultant and let the chips fall where they may.

Given our financial limitations at UConn, maybe we can get a great deal on a consultant if we are using them for a search for Football, Basketball, and Soccer all at the same time! ;)

Reaction Score
I worry about bringing in another coordinator. I really would like a candidate that has been a HC for 5 years. Someone that knows how to assemble a coaching staff that isn't packed with friends, someone that can manage in game and someone that can bring toughness, speed and aggression back to the field. I long for the days of McClain and Edwards returning punts and a LB corp that made plays in the backfield. Most importantly, someone that can identify talent and development talent.

I would give a top-shelf offensive coordinator a shot, but I understand that reservation. I'd rather have a coach with decent experience/success ideally.

Reaction Score
When do we announce our endorsement to the Courant? ;)

I know that it sounds funny, but The Boneyard endorsement is EXACTLY what should be sought by the administration, as we are likely the highest spending per fan that UCONN has. We also spend the most time on this type of research, and if we all agree on a list of candidates, there's a good chance that we've got the right idea...

The fact that none of us came up with Diaco or PP in the last 2 disastrous hiring cycles proves this indisputably.

Reaction Score
For me finding a coach who can do more with less should be the first item. The climate and conference is a big deterrent for speed burners and most players from the south.Installing an offense such as the flexbone is a fast way to alleviate recruiting issues and succeed because of a system not individual talent.

How many freezing bad weather games have we had this year?

C

chiller99.5

Zero to this point, I think there was one last year.
Well ECU blamed their loss in Storrs from the weather also are we taking a poll of one season,doesnt seem to smart.Running a program in a state with so little talent in high school screams out for the recruitment of ball control scheme players. The post said climate as well as conference.The rest of the aac gets the spill over of local talent from football rich areas who have to opt for second or third choices in schools .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom