HBO - The Defiant Ones | The Boneyard

HBO - The Defiant Ones

Reaction Score
Watched ep 1 last night. Great stuff. Very well done and had no idea that Jimmy basically stumbled into working with Lennon/Springsteen/etc. Wow.

Reaction Score
Finished it last night, great stuff. Interesting it was directed by Allen Hughes, seems like the Hughes brothers haven't done anything since Menace II Society, Dead Presidents, and their stomping at the hands of Tupac. One of my best friends works for HBO on Game of Thrones and was at The Defiant Ones premier. He got to shake hands with all those guys and yes Jimmy Iovine is cool as hell.

Reaction Score
Watched ep 1 last night, loved it. I knew a lot (not all) of the stuff about how Dre' came up, but not so much Iovine. Note to all... if your boss asks you to come to the office to work on Easter Sunday, then go to the office on Easter Sunday. Also had no idea Springsteen originally wrote 'Because the Night' and gave it up to Patti Smith b/c he never planned to use it.

Watching ep 2 tonight.

Reaction Score
It is excellent. Great story and well done. Come away liking and respecting them both.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just finished... ridiculously good. Holy smokes Interscope was on fire... I mean, I knew, but... damn. Dre and Iovine are legends.

Reaction Score
We watched ep 3 last night, really well done. I vividly remember when it all went down at the source awards between Death Row and Bad Boy which ultimately turned it into a broader East Coast/West Coast issue.
Loved the interchange between Gangsta Rap, and then Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Primus., etc... Holy smokes Interscope evolved music at a really fast pace.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In its entirety, it was a terrific.

Three things that stood out -

Iovine pursuing Trent Reznor for an entire year, basically from a captain's chair in his bathroom.

An intern gives a tape to Iovine. Iovine plays the tape for Dre. Dre goes nuts over it and that turns into Eminem.

Beats came out of a ten minute conversation that started with sneakers.

Two brilliant, brilliant dudes.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Even Primus was in it for a second! Too bad they didn't interview Les.

One of the moments I enjoyed was Snoop using the word "content". As if he was originally from the publishing or marketing world.

Reaction Score
In its entirety, it was a terrific.

Three things that stood out -

Iovine pursuing Trent Reznor for an entire year, basically from a captain's chair in his bathroom.

An intern gives a tape to Iovine. Iovine plays the tape for Dre. Dre goes nuts over it and that turns into Eminem.

Beats came out of a ten minute conversation that started with sneakers.

Two brilliant, brilliant dudes.

That plus the marketing genius of getting Beats into mainstream (having them appear in all videos etc).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Even Primus was in it for a second! Too bad they didn't interview Les.

One of the moments I enjoyed was Snoop using the word "content". As if he was originally from the publishing or marketing world.

Why would you want to see Les interviewed? Hes nuts.

Reaction Score
First time on this board. This was excellent. Forget sneakers, were gonna make speakers was brilliant.

Litre known fact. Eminem hand delivered mix tapes to Fat Joe 4 times, and remembers exactly where. Joe said he remembers it but got so many mix tapes those days he never listened to them.

T

The Butler

That sneakers/speakers part was the best line in the whole documentary!

Being a hip hop guy my entire life, I have to admit I enjoyed the Jimmy stuff 50x more than the Dre stuff, there were a few things I didn't know but the Iovine stuff was fascinating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom