HBCU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

HBCU

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
(Tommy?) Morrison. Nickname was Butter. Vs. Morgan State. Got credit for a touchhdown. Lived on my floor in Stowe C. Made national news. ESPN was in its infancy and we didn't get cable in the dorm but I'm sure it would have made Top Ten plays.

Reaction Score
With Deion Sanders and Eddie George upgrading their perspective programs don't be surprised to see these teams playing more like the North Dakota States of the world... or, end up ultimately upgrading to FBS status... That part may be a decade away, but the quality of play ( case in point, Jackson State probably has a better recruiting class than us if you go by the number of 3 star kids they've recruited recently and will be recruiting going fwd, along with them getting kids that transfer in from SEC schools )... Playing a team like that is no regular walk in the park for a FCS school.... That'd be a better game for us than Grambling... unless Grambling follow suit with Jackson State (probable)...
I love tradition-rich HBCU football. But the overall quality of play is a long, long way away from FBS level. It's slightly below Patriot/NEC level of play but with G5-level attendance, especially in the SWAC. Jackson State, where Deion coaches now, usually leads FCS in home attendance. Neither HBCU conference sends its champ to the playoffs at moment due to the Celebration Bowl commitment but prior to this, the MEAC hadn't notched a I-AA/FCS playoff win in 15+ years. Florida A&M and Hampton both had some damn good teams in the late 1990's/early 2000's. FAMU tried moving up to I-A but the experiment was a total disaster to the point where the program is just now recovering. The biggest issue with these programs and why you don't see more NDSU-level teams in the HBCU circles is the funding. Most of these schools are severely under-funded. Graduation rates are among the lowest of any 4-year colleges.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek
Top Bottom