HBCU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

HBCU

Reaction Score
Um OK, for the love of the God that wasn't the point. Would you be happier if I didn't mention Umass ? My only point was I'd like to see a press release regarding bowl tie ins soon from Dave Benedict. Since we're an Indy now, but we haven't heard anything except crickets, but Umass of all programs has one, since 2019 no less ?
When I read the article, my cynical mind said I've seen this before:
1. Reminded me how Calipari and his agent would play the media.
Example: Job opens up and there's speculation about who is being looked at and Calipari's agent puts out a release saying Calipari's very happy at his current job and he has no interviews scheduled. No one has heard his name mentioned for the UCLA (or similar job back when he was exiled in Memphis) position, it may or may not be true that he's happy, but he gets free publicity without having to lie about there being no interviews.
2. In this case, UMass gets their name out in a positive way, they can reprint the story and hand it to recruits, and it probably only cost them an agreement to play a men's basketball game at midnight during "Feast Week" or some similar dead time slot against an unknown opponent from some mid-major conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Um OK, for the love of the God that wasn't the point. Would you be happier if I didn't mention Umass ?
I would, Muck UFass! (seen on a homecoming float 40 years ago)

Reaction Score
So, UConn needs a bowl tie-in against an HBCU???
by 2026 that may happen with the way some programs are bringing in kids with higher rankings than ours... they won't be FCS then....

Reaction Score
If we are to make noise playing an HBCU school for the purpose of making a statement, we should play at Delaware State. I know that won't happen.

Hard to believe native Americans don't have their own school. Less than 2% of the population here, too. That's unreal. If there's one top tier pro franchise that'll probably never leave CT, that would be the Connecticut Sun.

The Hartford Yard Goats and Hartford Athletic might want to take up colors of the Sun now. :D

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If we are to make noise playing an HBCU school for the purpose of making a statement, we should play at Delaware State. I know that won't happen.

Hard to believe native Americans don't have their own school. Less than 2% of the population here, too. That's unreal. If there's one top tier pro franchise that'll probably never leave CT, that would be the Connecticut Sun.

The Hartford Yard Goats and Hartford Athletic might want to take up colors of the Sun now. :D
Did you notice that the Sun's new special alt-uniform is Athletic Blue?

Reaction Score
HBCU's ain't a bad idea....if you have other solid teams on the schedule..

Florida A&M plays UNC, USF,Miami, Florida, Georgia in future

Bethune Cookman plays UCF and USF

Grambling State plays Houston and Southern Miss this season

Howard plays Maryland and USF (Maryland this season and USF next)

Reaction Score
HBCU's ain't a bad idea....if you have other solid teams on the schedule..
True, like those you mention and Uconn's played them in the past in FB as an FCS team, like Hampton ( alma mater of Hartford/NBA's Rick Mahorn !) in 1998. But they need to get this thing fired up first as a new Indy with solid draws to the Rent. Like the Huskies had as a new FBS member in the BE, when the team was playing to sold out crowds in the 1st decade. Then the AD can get creative like an established program ( with actual fans in the stands ).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Suggestion... and I hope our AD reads this....

Why not have UConn schedule a HBCU (i.e. Jackson State U - now coached by Deion Sanders... or ETSU now coached by Eddie George)?

It's a great opportunity IMO...
I saw one of Uconn's FBS opponents( the next 2 years ) took your cue on a HBCU game.

Reaction Score
THERE IS ... a California state university nudged to be the College for hispanics - Cal State Monterey Bay. As a bonus, it is an extraordinary location to visit. Put that on the schedule of one of our teams. Better destination than Fresno

The HBCU is not a bad idea ... just one that is not a no brainer as we scramble to gain credibility and wins. We - David Benedict - found great acceptance in universities we wanted. We need to play regional and develop regionally significant rivals. And play them often ...

Reaction Score
Is Cal State Monterey Bay starting to bring in FBS talent like the HBCU schools are?

Reaction Score
It needs to happen... The Harvard/Howard experience a few years back drew a lot of folks to Cambridge.... It did even more off the field... A bridge to graduate studies and other programs are in the works now because of it to better the overall academic experiences (which is the actual end game to all of this... the football part is just an added bonus)...

UCONN has a pretty solid Multi-Cultural base that could bridge gaps between it and HBCUs....

The benefits are definitely out there, past this wonderful game called College Football
Does everything have to be about race? Ugh!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
THERE IS ... a California state university nudged to be the College for hispanics - Cal State Monterey Bay. As a bonus, it is an extraordinary location to visit. Put that on the schedule of one of our teams. Better destination than Fresno

The HBCU is not a bad idea ... just one that is not a no brainer as we scramble to gain credibility and wins. We - David Benedict - found great acceptance in universities we wanted. We need to play regional and develop regionally significant rivals. And play them often ...

Most understated BY comment ever.

Reaction Score
Back in our FCS days we played several HBCUs. Delaware State is one. Morgan State too I think. Plus didn’t we play one of the Virginia schools in the playoffs? Hampton if I remember correctly.

Del State is practically down the street from UD. I went to games at both. The facilities at the time were very unequal.
On a side note, my friend's son holds the record for receptions at Del State-Another friend's son played tight end and also basketball a few years back when they played Duke in the tourney

Reaction Score
On another side note, I went to a wedding in Delaware thebyear before Covid. Stayed in the same hotel as Florida A&M Who was in town to play Del State. 3 of the starting linemen were white and so was the Rattler QB. Kind of surprised me. On a slightly different note, same wedding one of the bridesmaids was in grad school at Del State on a full ride because she was white according to her and they were trying to integrate the School. She was from Newark DE. Earned her bachelors from some college in Storrs CT.

Reaction Score
Interesting article; learned Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman (a private school) recently joined the SWAC; a conference spanning from the Sunshine State to the Lone Star State. Also, A&M recently hired successful businessman, ex-NBA player and coach, and ex-college hoops coach Reggie Theus as AD.

Reaction Score

When will the "Otters" be adding football so we can mark our calendars?

Reaction Score
On another side note, I went to a wedding in Delaware thebyear before Covid. Stayed in the same hotel as Florida A&M Who was in town to play Del State. 3 of the starting linemen were white and so was the Rattler QB. Kind of surprised me. On a slightly different note, same wedding one of the bridesmaids was in grad school at Del State on a full ride because she was white according to her and they were trying to integrate the School. She was from Newark DE. Earned her bachelors from some college in Storrs CT.
There are plenty of white players on HBCU football rosters. It's not abnormal at all.
The best part about that is the players don't see skin color when they go to war on the football field for one another. It's a brotherhood.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom