HBCU | The Boneyard

HBCU

Reaction Score
Suggestion... and I hope our AD reads this....

Why not have UConn schedule a HBCU (i.e. Jackson State U - now coached by Deion Sanders... or ETSU now coached by Eddie George)?

It's a great opportunity IMO...
Most HBCU's play FCS division, so this game would be scheduled instead of a local FCS team. IF the Huskies were to schedule an HBCU, go for the GOLD standard & schedule Grambling!

Reaction Score
With Deion Sanders and Eddie George upgrading their perspective programs don't be surprised to see these teams playing more like the North Dakota States of the world... or, end up ultimately upgrading to FBS status... That part may be a decade away, but the quality of play ( case in point, Jackson State probably has a better recruiting class than us if you go by the number of 3 star kids they've recruited recently and will be recruiting going fwd, along with them getting kids that transfer in from SEC schools )... Playing a team like that is no regular walk in the park for a FCS school.... That'd be a better game for us than Grambling... unless Grambling follow suit with Jackson State (probable)...

Reaction Score
If a HBCU program was to be scheduled, schools with greater likelihood of alumni and other fans nearer CT or in locations UConn targets for recruiting may be more likely than historically successful Grambling from Louisiana and recent Sanders' flash Jackson State in Mississippi. Possible examples: Howard, Morgan State, Delaware State for relative proximity/alumni/fans, or Morehouse, Bethune-Cookman, FL A&M for possible GA/FL recruiting PR.
HBCU Football

Based on higher perceived ticket sales, more proximate ex-Yankee/A10/Colonial conference, SUNY, and other FCS schools closer to East Hartford are more likely IMHO. Could be wrong.

Reaction Score
If they schedule an HBCU, make sure that their band is included in the contract. HBCU half-time shows are usually better than the game. Schedule it during warm weather so people can stay for an after-game battle of the bands with UCMB. I don't think Jackson State's "Sonic Boom of the South" is even considered to be one of the top bands and they put on a hell of a show.

Reaction Score
Back in our FCS days we played several HBCUs. Delaware State is one. Morgan State too I think. Plus didn’t we play one of the Virginia schools in the playoffs? Hampton if I remember correctly.

Del State is practically down the street from UD. I went to games at both. The facilities at the time were very unequal.

Reaction Score
Back in our FCS days we played several HBCUs. Delaware State is one. Morgan State too I think. Plus didn’t we play one of the Virginia schools in the playoffs? Hampton if I remember correctly.

Del State is practically down the street from UD. I went to games at both. The facilities at the time were very unequal.
They still are.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Wasn't the Delaware St game in the 80's the one where their assistant coach tackled our kick returner?

Reaction Score
Suggestion... and I hope our AD reads this....
This is not an attack!!! Again no malice meant to the OP. Opinions about future scheduling are valid but doing so and so is coaching a team is meaningless.
Games are scheduled so far in advance that coach may no longer be in charge. That and when our AD has to depend on The Boneyard for advice for the program it's fourth and sixty from the one yard line. I hope he would punt on the idea. ;)

Reaction Score
It needs to happen... The Harvard/Howard experience a few years back drew a lot of folks to Cambridge.... It did even more off the field... A bridge to graduate studies and other programs are in the works now because of it to better the overall academic experiences (which is the actual end game to all of this... the football part is just an added bonus)...

UCONN has a pretty solid Multi-Cultural base that could bridge gaps between it and HBCUs....

The benefits are definitely out there, past this wonderful game called College Football

Reaction Score
Rutgers

when Rutgers was losing to University of New Hampshire & Villanova ... they had an epiphany. Let's play HBCU. Howard, Norfolk State, Delaware State started showing up ... and they actually could win a few.

Reaction Score
If what Deion Sanders is doing to help change the platform of HBCU football... The Howards, Norfolk States, Delaware States of the world won't be cupcakes... I give by 2025 season you'll season competition at the FBS level from those schools... if everything flows right....The kids that typically commit to the big boy schools will be going to those schools instead. The pipeline is just beginning...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It needs to happen... The Harvard/Howard experience a few years back drew a lot of folks to Cambridge.... It did even more off the field... A bridge to graduate studies and other programs are in the works now because of it to better the overall academic experiences (which is the actual end game to all of this... the football part is just an added bonus)...

UCONN has a pretty solid Multi-Cultural base that could bridge gaps between it and HBCUs....

The benefits are definitely out there, past this wonderful game called College Football

Let's reset the conversation to reality.

this doesn't "need" to happen. It's something you appear to feel strongly about wanting to happen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
this doesn't "need" to happen. It's something you appear to feel strongly about wanting to happen.
People use that phrase all the time, are you planning on writing similar posts every time or just when you disagree?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
People use that phrase all the time, are you planning on writing similar posts every time or just when you disagree?

Only when someone starts their discussion/viewpoint as "a suggestion" and then pivots to it's a "need" in 20 hours. Feel free to send me any links when others do this in case I miss it. I'll point it out to them as well.

And I never said I disagreed or agreed with the viewpoint of the on field or off field value of scheduling HBCU's.

Reaction Score
Let's reset the conversation to reality.

Why not? Just trying to understand is all...

Reaction Score
I hear you K, it could be a nice novelty but not for where Uconn FB is at this point, IMHO. Because H & H's with teams like Rutgers, Pitt, UVA, WVU, more series with BYU, BC, etc...need to happen. ( HCRE has mentioned both BYU and PITT in the last year). Plus additional one off paydays with teams like Penn St. and some of the other big boy$ in CFB, really need to happen. Something like the nixed 10 game deal with Notre Dame would also be nice along with so many more needs, that trying to prop up a game vs. a HBCU at this point, shouldn't even be on the radar. Especially if we ever want to get back to playin' big boy FB again after the body slam of CR and being demoted from the BCS (especially in the minds of the casual/ fickle Uconn fans that used to fill the Rent w/ 40K). Or at least if we want to see Uconn get close to BYU's level as an Indy with Notre Dame the gold standard, scheduling up really needs to happen, not down.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I hear you K, it could be a nice novelty but not for where Uconn FB is at this point, IMHO. Because H & H's with teams like Rutgers, Pitt, UVA, WVU, more series with BYU, BC, etc...need to happen. ( HCRE has mentioned both BYU and PITT in the last year). Plus additional one off paydays with teams like Penn St. and some of the other big boy$ in CFB, really need to happen. Something like the nixed 10 game deal with Notre Dame would also be nice along with so many more needs, that trying to prop up a game vs. a HBCU at this point, shouldn't even be on the radar. Especially if we ever want to get back to playin' big boy FB again after the body slam of CR and being demoted from the BCS (especially in the minds of the casual/ fickle Uconn fans that used to fill the Rent w/ 40K). Or at least if we want to see Uconn get close to BYU's level as an Indy with Notre Dame the gold standard, scheduling up really needs to happen, not down.

It will be absolutely normal for UConn to schedule games against FCS opponents. Hopefully most of them will be home games early in the season. If it works out that the school which best fits the scheduling needs is an HBCU, great. But let's not let the tail wag the dog. And I definitely don't want UConn travelling on the road for any FCS opponent.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Wasn't the Delaware St game in the 80's the one where their assistant coach tackled our kick returner?
(Tommy?) Morrison. Nickname was Butter. Vs. Morgan State. Got credit for a touchhdown. Lived on my floor in Stowe C. Made national news. ESPN was in its infancy and we didn't get cable in the dorm but I'm sure it would have made Top Ten plays.

Reaction Score
It will be absolutely normal for UConn to schedule games against FCS opponents. .......... If it works out that the school which best fits the scheduling needs is an HBCU, great.
True, I'd even say if it was in place of a Lafayette for example, fine. But FCS games are pretty low on the list of the "need to happens", if at all, as you mentioned. We season tix holders got stuck with 2 this year because of the Indy change/ scheduling issues. Though Yale was a nice in-state blast from the past.

I 've noticed some schools (even newbies like UTSA) have skipped FCS games certain years, which probably helps fan interest. So winning football and filling the Rent again by that and bringing in quality H and H's are the 1A and 1B of the real "need to happens". I'd also like to read something soon from the AD that is similar to what our neighbors up north put out regarding bowl tie-ins for Uconn, as 1C.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
True, I'd even say if it was in place of a Lafayette for example, fine. But FCS games are pretty low on the list of the "need to happens", if at all, as you mentioned. We season tix holders got stuck with 2 this year because of the Indy change/ scheduling issues. Though Yale was a nice in-state blast from the past.

I 've noticed some schools (even newbies like UTSA) have skipped FCS games certain years, which probably helps fan interest. So winning football and filling the Rent again by that and bringing in quality H and H's are the 1A and 1B of the real "need to happens". I'd also like to read something soon from the AD that is similar to what our neighbors up north put out regarding bowl tie-ins for Uconn, as 1C.

This is an article from 2019. How has that helped UMass? And please for the love of G-d, please let's not compare our situation to UMass. We have a brand recognition that allows us more opportunities and leeway for football they could only dream of.

Reaction Score
This is an article from 2019. How has that helped UMass? And please for the love of G-d, please let's not compare our situation to UMass. We have a brand recognition that allows us more opportunities and leeway for football they could only dream of.
Um OK, for the love of the God that wasn't the point. Would you be happier if I didn't mention Umass ? My only point was I'd like to see a press release regarding bowl tie ins soon from Dave Benedict. Since we're an Indy now, but we haven't heard anything except crickets, but Umass of all programs has one, since 2019 no less ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gotta love the BY…

How it started: “Hey we should play a HBCU game”

How it ends: “Do you know that UMass has a bowl-tie agreement”
True that, but I thought it started with things the AD needs to read.....and then things that "need to happen" along the way....;)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom