Hawkins - The couple 3s he took didnt fall but he legit looked like an NBA athlete out there | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hawkins - The couple 3s he took didnt fall but he legit looked like an NBA athlete out there

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our non-con will not be 355/358 by the end of it. The 2009 team opened with American International, UMass Lowell, Western Carolina, and Hartford. They then went to the Paradise Jam in the US Virgin Islands, played 5 more cupcakes and then @ Gonzaga.

This year we have the opening 4 cupcakes, Bahamas, @ WVU, and then the Bonnies. They are remarkably similar schedules.
Whatever you do, don't compare them to 2006 team that won Maui to start then came home to face a murders row of: Army, Texas Southern, UMass, New Hampshire, Morehead, Stony Brook and Quinnipiac. Five of those were sub-300.

Reaction Score
Whatever you do, don't compare them to 2006 team that won Maui to start then came home to face a murders row of: Army, Texas Southern, UMass, New Hampshire, Morehead, Stony Brook and Quinnipiac. Five of those were sub-300.
Some people here either have bad memories or are still scarred from the Ollie years. You don't need to play a great OOC to realize how good the team is going to be. Being conservative in your expectations is so lame considering we have won 4 national championships. It takes all the fun out of it. We know what a championship team looks like, no one can tell me this team doesn't have the pieces to get it done.

I don't even care if we come out flat next week in the Bahamas. We're already looking great and we will continue to get better as the season goes on. No one will want to play this team in Feb/March

Reaction Score
He is one of those players that obviously has "it." He has an NBA skillset and athleticism... just needs the muscle to back it up.

The comparison to Bouk people make is way, way off base though. Hawkins isn't a 1v1 creator like Bouk nor is he a creative finisher. He's an elite shooter with fantastic defense.

"Elite Shooter" - music to my ears - has been a minute since we had one.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Before he got hurt, it seemed like it was trending that he would've started.
Higher in the rotation maybe, but I recall Hurley implying on a podcast, pre-injury, that he was going to ease Hawkins in. In other words it was not a consensus. I think the starting 5 have established themselves for the time being, with Akok and Gaffney being the first to off the bench.

On the other hand, Polley's minutes are probably going down.

Reaction Score
Some people here either have bad memories or are still scarred from the Ollie years. You don't need to play a great OOC to realize how good the team is going to be. Being conservative in your expectations is so lame considering we have won 4 national championships. It takes all the fun out of it. We know what a championship team looks like, no one can tell me this team doesn't have the pieces to get it done.

I don't even care if we come out flat next week in the Bahamas. We're already looking great and we will continue to get better as the season goes on. No one will want to play this team in Feb/March
So true, where's the fun in talking about how there might be some problems in creating in a half court setting? I'd rather talk about how Andre Jackson is the best player of all time and not much else.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
1. Hawkins passed the initial eye test. Looking forward to seeing more.
2. How do you shoot 60% on four attempts? (as an earlier post attributed to Gaffney)
3. I always figured mid-majors were the teams in two-bid conferences.

Reaction Score

Everybody wants so bad to be an objective analyst. Go apply to espn lol. We're fans, have fun.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Limited sample size but Gaff is hitting 60% of his 3's on 4 attempts per game so far. He'll come back down to earth but he has great shot mechanics. He was a 36% guy last year, I can see him hitting 40% this year which is approaching that 'very good to elite' territory
enlightenment
[inˈlītnmənt, enˈlītnmənt]

NOUN

1. (the Enlightenment)
    a European intellectual movement of the late 17th and 18th centuries emphasizing reason and individualism rather than tradition. It was heavily influenced by 17th-century philosophers such as Descartes, Locke, and Newton, and its prominent exponents include Kant, Goethe, Voltaire, Rousseau, and Adam Smith.
    imma patient sort....

Reaction Score
The step back, or pull up would be all he needs with a defender in his face. He looks taller than 6’4”.
Funny, I remarked that I thought he would be taller. Old age eyesight must be setting in.

Reaction Score
Incredibly obvious that he has it. Glides similarly to Ray.
I’m Obviously not saying he’s going to be ray ray but the way he moves on the floor reminds me so much of him —- just my initial eye test

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The excitement police are by far the worst part of this board. Let fans be excited
I'm mindful that the popularity of this comment is double that if the one quoted directly below, but I still find it hard to accept that so-called "excitement police" would be considered worse than "haters," if I wanted also to use an exaggerated characterization. I consider an equal degree of criticism level against individual players at a formative stage of their basketball careers worse, which makes "by far the worst" not simply excessive, but just wrong.

And yes, let us be excited, especially by what we've seen thus far: a rotating cast of blocking, stealing, sharing, running, jumping, dunking Huskies is fun fun fun to watch.
Only if yall promise to stop hating on guys when they inevitably fall short of being Bouknight or Allen. It was annoying sifting through posts about how Jackson sucks because his first 2 games weren't lottery pick worthy. There's a difference between being excited, and being unreasonable.
Seems quite fair.
But these 4 games aren't our full ooc schedule. It's just the first 4
Your valid perspective (that "these 4 games aren't our full ooc schedule") fully applies to considering the POV of those who would extend their speculations about this team to include the upcoming, elevated competition, and currently withhold some measure of excitement accordingly. It need not be considered "policing."

Again, I'm delighted by the best of what I've seen so far. Who could ask for more?

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
He is one of those players that obviously has "it." He has an NBA skillset and athleticism... just needs the muscle to back it up.

The comparison to Bouk people make is way, way off base though. Hawkins isn't a 1v1 creator like Bouk nor is he a creative finisher. He's an elite shooter with fantastic defense.
Where they seem comparable/similar is their instinct for where the ball is going and make an athletic play.

Reaction Score
The 2009 team played a worse schedule than a team that is 355 out of 358 teams? That seems amazingly unlikely.
Western Carolina: 241/344
Hartford: 313/344
Bryant: 333/344
Delaware St.: 316/344
@Buffalo: 119/344
Fairfield: 173/344

It has 3 sub-300 games, but it has some better cupcakes.

But, also, the BE finished with two other Top seeds aside from UConn, 4 other teams in the Top 20, and 2 other Top 50. It was a gauntlet that had 4 E8 and 2 Final Four teams. In other words, much tougher than our current league.

Add in, too, that low risk games meant more because AJ was coming off a knee injury.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm mindful that the popularity of this comment is double that if the one quoted directly below, but I still find it hard to accept that so-called "excitement police" would be considered worse than "haters," if I wanted also to use an exaggerated characterization. I consider an equal degree of criticism level against individual players at a formative stage of their basketball careers worse, which makes "by far the worst" not simply excessive, but just wrong.
I'm thinking he wasn't being literal, cause there's people on this board who take pleasure in putting players down. Reasonable people would agree they're the very worst among us.

Reaction Score
Everybody wants so bad to be an objective analyst. Go apply to espn lol. We're fans, have fun.
Maybe, just maybe, having a reasonable conversation that's not beholden only to the current moment stripped of all meaningful context is enjoyable for some. A circle jerk of "oh my god we're the best team in the conference I know because Jackson dunked on a glorified middle schooler" is not only far more uninteresting to me, but frankly tiresome because we know that, usually, that same person is the first to start calling for heads to roll when the team doesn't effortlessly meet that standard.

Give me a conversation people who know and watch hoop and can put UConn and it's performance into a proper context rather than someone who thinks a team who is likely at best a 5 seed is a title contender and gets mad when people try to have a rational discussion.

That's just me. No harm in the board having multiple views.

Reaction Score
The first time I watched both of them I knew they were NBA players who wouldn't spend four years on campus. That's what I meant. The specifics are irrelevant to my point.
I agree with this. When youve seen enough players come and go for 30 years or more in some cases you see special pretty quickly. Sometimes its a few games sometimes it can be just a few minutes in a first game. Jordan Hawkins showed it in a few minutes. Besides with a name like that its like you were born special.

Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe, having a reasonable conversation that's not beholden only to the current moment stripped of all meaningful context is enjoyable for some. A circle jerk of "oh my god we're the best team in the conference I know because Jackson dunked on a glorified middle schooler" is not only far more uninteresting to me, but frankly tiresome because we know that, usually, that same person is the first to start calling for heads to roll when the team doesn't effortlessly meet that standard.

Give me a conversation people who know and watch hoop and can put UConn and it's performance into a proper context rather than someone who thinks a team who is likely at best a 5 seed is a title contender and gets mad when people try to have a rational discussion.

That's just me. No harm in the board having multiple views.
Except that isn’t what’s happening here. Most of what I see is the same 3-4 posters littering every thread with “we haven’t played anyone good yet”. It’s quite annoying. It’s an obvious observation that is constantly repeated anytime anyone has an excited view of our team, a player or our season. No one is saying don’t have “context”. We’re saying stop repeating yourself

Reaction Score
I wonder if that terrible stretch contributed to the beatdown they took in their first game after that against Marquette?

Also, I'm going by KenPom here...and there were not five sub-300 games by KenPom:

UMass 105
New Hampshire 277
Quinnipiac 253
Army 331
Texas Southern 319
Morehead State 328
Stony Brook 313

The best NC Home game this year is LIU at 273...

And, again, that league was stacked will excellent teams.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Except that isn’t what’s happening here. Most of what I see is the same 3-4 posters littering every thread with “we haven’t played anyone good yet”. It’s quite annoying. It’s an obvious observation that is constantly repeated anytime anyone has an excited view of our team, a player or our season. No one is saying don’t have “context”. We’re saying stop repeating yourself
Bc the same people who said we're gonna win it all after these three games said Polley was going to the NBA after his only two good games last year. People get in a euphoric state after these wins and then when reality hits, they destroy the board. All people are saying is temper expectations for now. We'll have a better idea after the tourney. We do look very good, very deep, and we're talented. But we haven't had to face adversity or had to run a halfcourt offense that much so far.

Edit: I will say that a lot of the posts after the losses are from lurkers and posters who don't post often

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You're really comparing the roster of '06 to this one?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom