Hawkins assigned to G-League 12/28 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hawkins assigned to G-League 12/28

Reaction Score
I wish our players would stop getting drafted by the most disastrous organizations in the league. Look at how the Bucks are developing Andre Jackson, a second round pick, vs the Pelicans developing their lottery pick who was the best shooter in his draft class. No surprise that the organization who let Zion balloon up to 400 pounds is poorly run.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
FWIW the most overachieving teams in the NBA this season are in the bottom 10 in 3s attempted (Magic, TWolves, and OKC).

Percentage wise, the Pelicans are middle of the pack in shooting 3s.
Yeah but they are bottom of the barrel in 3 pts made

Reaction Score
FWIW the most overachieving teams in the NBA this season are in the bottom 10 in 3s attempted (Magic, TWolves, and OKC).

True but I have a hard time believing those 3 teams are legit playoff threats, and OKC is #2 in 3P% so it offsets a bit. They're pretty average in 3PM even though they're way down in attempts

It's not a 100% dealbreaker if you're not making a lot of threes, but it's a major trend. Of second round playoff teams -
  • 2023 - 4/8 were top 12 in 3PM/game. 2 of the remaining 4 are teams led by generational superstars (Denver/Jokic and LAL/Lebron)
  • 2022 - 5/8 teams. 1 of the remaining 3 had a generational star (76ers/Embiid)
  • 2021 - 4/8 teams. 2 of the remaining 4 had generational stars (76ers/Embiid and Denver/Jokic). This was the year Trae Young went ballistic if we want to count that too
Around 75% of second round teams need to make a lot of threes, or have a superstar to carry you. Pelicans in theory have that generational superstar in Zion, but it isn't looking good..so they need to make the call to double down on Zion/CJ/BI, or adjust their organization to a new style. They've chosen to double down, all we can do is wait and see if it was the right call

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
They just want to give in PT. He produced, he'll be on somebody's roster

Reaction Score
What a sad mindset. I guess its the sentiment of the generation. Things don't go perfect, cry and quit. See it with college kids transferring over and over at the slightest adversity.
Sorry boomer. But if I'm playing well, waiting my turn and then getting sent down to the G league all of a sudden with a sharp decrease of minutes, any normal person would be upset

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
He needs to play and there are too many guys in the rotation ahead of him. It looked better early when NO had guys hurt. He needs minutes not DNP’s at this point. This ain’t so bad.

Reaction Score
Sorry boomer. But if I'm playing well, waiting my turn and then getting sent down to the G league all of a sudden with a sharp decrease of minutes, any normal person would be upset
No reason to apologize pronouns. There is a difference from being upset and demanding a trade. One is normal, the other is pathetic.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
True but I have a hard time believing those 3 teams are legit playoff threats, and OKC is #2 in 3P% so it offsets a bit. They're pretty average in 3PM even though they're way down in attempts

It's not a 100% dealbreaker if you're not making a lot of threes, but it's a major trend. Of second round playoff teams -
  • 2023 - 4/8 were top 12 in 3PM/game. 2 of the remaining 4 are teams led by generational superstars (Denver/Jokic and LAL/Lebron)
  • 2022 - 5/8 teams. 1 of the remaining 3 had a generational star (76ers/Embiid)
  • 2021 - 4/8 teams. 2 of the remaining 4 had generational stars (76ers/Embiid and Denver/Jokic). This was the year Trae Young went ballistic if we want to count that too
Around 75% of second round teams need to make a lot of threes, or have a superstar to carry you. Pelicans in theory have that generational superstar in Zion, but it isn't looking good..so they need to make the call to double down on Zion/CJ/BI, or adjust their organization to a new style. They've chosen to double down, all we can do is wait and see if it was the right call
I don’t think it’s fair to make the superstar caveat when you have Steph and the Celtics who are on the other side.

In last year’s playoffs, 6 of the top 8 out of 16 teams who had the highest % of points from the midrange moved on to the 2nd round. 7 was 9th in the category and 8 was the Boston Celtics.

That category more than any other scoring category had the highest correlation of success of teams that moved on. Only the Celtics, who has one of the best rosters in basketball, bucked the trend pretty much. The Knicks best player Brunson is of course elite in the midrange as well.

The bottom 4 teams in % of points from 3 all made the 2nd round. 2 of them made the conference finals.

The Pelicans more than anything else needs a PG who focuses primarily on distributing instead of having CJ play the role of scorer and distributor in one.

A lineup of a real PG, CJ, BI, Zion, and Val looks much better than the same lineup but Herb Jones thrown in there. Malcolm Brogdon is begging for a contender to save him from Portland.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I wish our players would stop getting drafted by the most disastrous organizations in the league. Look at how the Bucks are developing Andre Jackson, a second round pick, vs the Pelicans developing their lottery pick who was the best shooter in his draft class. No surprise that the organization who let Zion balloon up to 400 pounds is poorly run.
In their defense, Andre and Hawkins have almost opposite skill sets. Andre’s skill sets are consistent ones that the Bucks can rely on (energy, defense, playmaking) compared to Hawkins that is more reliant on making 3s to be successful. He’s much easier to play and know what you’re getting.

Hawkins will be okay though. G League has improved a lot in developing guys over the years.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s fair to make the superstar caveat when you have Steph and the Celtics who are on the other side.

In last year’s playoffs, 6 of the top 8 out of 16 teams who had the highest % of points from the midrange moved on to the 2nd round. 7 was 9th in the category and 8 was the Boston Celtics.

That category more than any other scoring category had the highest correlation of success of teams that moved on. Only the Celtics, who has one of the best rosters in basketball, bucked the trend pretty much. The Knicks best player Brunson is of course elite in the midrange as well.

The bottom 4 teams in % of points from 3 all made the 2nd round. 2 of them made the conference finals.

The Pelicans more than anything else needs a PG who focuses primarily on distributing instead of having CJ play the role of scorer and distributor in one.

A lineup of a real PG, CJ, BI, Zion, and Val looks much better than the same lineup but Herb Jones thrown in there. Malcolm Brogdon is begging for a contender to save him from Portland.
Very fair, love Herb Jones but he’s super one dimensional. They do need a PG desperately. Especially one that can shoot

Reaction Score
What a sad mindset. I guess its the sentiment of the generation. Things don't go perfect, cry and quit. See it with college kids transferring over and over at the slightest adversity.
This you fr fr
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In Hawk I trust
He will be OK but what WG is doing with Zion is laughable, which in itself is weird because Zion is laughable period. A 300 pound point guard wannabe.
BTW - Hawk is not an NBA PG, at least not presently - SG only

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Very fair, love Herb Jones but he’s super one dimensional. They do need a PG desperately. Especially one that can shoot
Not for nothing, having a true PG would also help Hawkins when he’s in the game too to help setup good looks for him.

The whole SGs masquerading as PGs never work out for teams. It’s why Phoenix is a super mess now. Houston brought in FVV and all of a sudden they’re a playoff team.

Reaction Score

They each have their own unique reason why, but these 3 are also 3 of the tallest teams in the league, and each emphasizes defense.
Orlando and Minnesota have actual game plans that revolve around non shooters on offense. OKC may not shoot a ton, but they make them at a great percentage. SGA, and Edward's can get to the rim whenever they want, so they do. Orlando just has no one that can shoot from more than 15 feet, so they don't.
It's not because they don't want to shoot...you can tell by their draft picks.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
what a joke. I hope his reps figure out a trade for him. What a garbage organization NOP is for burying their lotto pick

He was a lottery pick? I though he was 14th.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
He’s going to use this as even further motivation & continue to improve. I feel for him, because he’s clearly good enough to be a contributor at the NBA level. The Pelicans (hopefully) know what they have in him & are excited for his future; let’s hope this turns into a positive for Hawk.

Reaction Score
This is a terrible take.. This isn't 5th-grade rec league basketball--it's his career.
Yea, and the best thing to do when you are under contract for 4 years is to demand a trade 2 months into your rookie year. Smart move. Just what other organizations want to see in a player.

Its a clown take.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom