Hawkins assigned to G-League 12/28 | The Boneyard

Hawkins assigned to G-League 12/28

Reaction Score

Not a big deal but stinks because he had played well when given the chance (three 25-plus point performances in 27 games (9 starts)). Hopefully the Pelicans can move some pieces around and give our guy some more playing time.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This really stinks IMO. I think we all knew NO was not a good fit but this is kind of ridiculous when you look at what he has put on tape. They should just trade him as I have to believe there are more than a handful of teams that don’t have the guard depth that NO does. I know this Hawk is an NBA player. Any team that caters to an out of shape Dookie is no place for a winner. Best wishes Hawk on getting onto a franchise that will appreciate your talents.

Reaction Score
Better than wasting away on the bench. But he's a lottery pick that has already proven he can be a flamethrower in the league. 31 against the reigning champs and 2 other games of 25. Most threes on his team and among all rookies despite minutes being cut pretty much all month

For a team that struggles to make threes, the Pelicans better hope Zion figures it out for them and carries them into the second round of the playoffs. Because me thinks he's requesting a trade next year.

Reaction Score
I'm annoyed as a Hawkins fan, but he'll be fine, he was on pace to set the rookie 3 points record. It's good he'll get on the court now.

I'd be pissed if I was a Pels fan. You gotta find minutes for your lotto pick rookie who was 3rd in ROY odds behind Wemby and Holmgren.

Reaction Score
There isn't a stigma to going down to the G league anymore.

They should probably be stealing him 10 minutes a game from their other bench guys, but whatever. He'll be back with the team in no time.
It's a demotion and Willie Green's words don't match up with his actions. He wants to shoot 40 threes per game yet he sends down one of the most talented shooters in the league. You screw around with a young player like this and you run the risk of losing him mentally.

Reaction Score
Our guy deserves way better than this dumpster fire organization. Trade him to Golden State.

Reaction Score
the pelicans benching hawkins was understandable when the team looked like world beaters. they are just a really, really deep team.

now, they have lost three of their last four games, including multiple fourth quarter collapses. i still don't think it's a huge deal, as @auror said, but it's definitely something to monitor as the trade deadline approaches.

Reaction Score
Obviously when putting bias and emotion aside, NO likely has the luxury of having depth and want our guy to grow up after by going to the G league to develop and improve on a few things. Sure he is a scorer and a three point threat, but perhaps there are things we don’t necessarily see that they do. Anyway, I know my opinion is worth less than two cents so I am likely wrong in your eyes. If NO can be wrong than I am certain to be way more wrong

Reaction Score
This is weak, for someone selected that high and performed very well in games to be sent down just b/c they don't have room on the roster is essentially an admission that they fvked up the draft and have no idea what to do. Hawkins isn't going to magically put on 15lbs of muscle or grow broader shoulders by virtue of being on the Birmingham Squadron (what a crappy name by the way, 'Squadron'?!).

Reaction Score
It's a demotion and Willie Green's words don't match up with his actions. He wants to shoot 40 threes per game yet he sends down one of the most talented shooters in the league. You screw around with a young player like this and you run the risk of losing him mentally.
I don’t think this will be a problem for Hawk. He is strong mentally. There were times at UConn when his defense was weak and he worked to improve. As a shooter, there will always be cold spells. You learn to deal with adversity. Hawk has fought these times previously he will fight through them again. I’d rather see him play than sit on the bench. His time to shine will come and he’ll thrive. I’m confident of that.

Reaction Score
He is clearly an NBA player and the Pelicans organization is absolitely blowing it.
Yeah and he fits a lot better on an nba team as a floor spacer and a shooting threat than in the g league style of completely run and gun. I really don’t see the benefit for him in the g league besides the game cardio

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Better than wasting away on the bench. But he's a lottery pick that has already proven he can be a flamethrower in the league. 31 against the reigning champs and 2 other games of 25. Most threes on his team and among all rookies despite minutes being cut pretty much all month

For a team that struggles to make threes, the Pelicans better hope Zion figures it out for them and carries them into the second round of the playoffs. Because me thinks he's requesting a trade next year.
FWIW the most overachieving teams in the NBA this season are in the bottom 10 in 3s attempted (Magic, TWolves, and OKC).

Percentage wise, the Pelicans are middle of the pack in shooting 3s.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
If the options are DNP-CD or lots of minutes in the G League I'd opt for the latter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He needs to keep his head up. It will be tough considering how grim the G-League is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom