HAWK time??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

HAWK time???

Reaction Score
Maybe if he changes his spot, he will bobble the ball less, and they will be more likely to pass to him?

Or, none of the above?

Since he is only a freshman?

:confused:

Reaction Score
How about some stickum for his hands like quarterbacks and receivers use? Just a bit of tack. He has a high dribble which is an invite to steal the ball. He has to bend down to dribble not stand straight up, I noticed it.
Ok

Reaction Score
Hawk made one or two nice defensive plays last night but he can’t stay in front of anyone he’s guarding. He’s consistently been a matador all season, needs to fix that ASAP to keep his playing time up.

Reaction Score
How about some stickum for his hands like quarterbacks and receivers use? Just a bit of tack. He has a high dribble which is an invite to steal the ball. He has to bend down to dribble not stand straight up, I noticed it.
Ok
Let’s not forget that Ray Allen had a very high dribble and he turned out to be pretty good. None of these guys are complete players so Hurley just needs to be able to use Hawkins correctly to maximize his strengths.

With Martin being out 2+ weeks, Hawkins will have 25 minutes a night to show what he can do as long as Danny does not have a short leash with him. So he is not a good open floor ball handler, big deal. He’s a scorer so let him loose. Five shots a game is not going to cut it though. Shooters need to shoot!

Reaction Score
Hawk made one or two nice defensive plays last night but he can’t stay in front of anyone he’s guarding. He’s consistently been a matador all season, needs to fix that ASAP to keep his playing time up.
Unfortunately, aside from Polley, he’s the best option off the bench, which really isn’t saying much.

Reaction Score
The bobble thing will be fine. Probably just a little sped up and nervous wanting to make things happen. He will settle in once he relaxes and finds his groove. His handle is something that can be improved on with hard work. Progess is not always linear. By the end of the year he will most likely be a vital part of the offense and lots of this stuff will be ironed out minus some typical freshman mistakes.

Reaction Score
Not worried long term for him, by the end of year 2 he'll be a more finished player.

Reaction Score
Hawk needs to understand CBB at a high level is a Team game.. Not a Me game.

He'll figure it out. Positive body language shows maturity.

Reaction Score
Hawk needs to understand CBB at a high level is a Team game.. Not a Me game.

He'll figure it out. Positive body language shows maturity.
People keep making comments like this and I don't get it, his usage rate is really not that high to say he's playing selfishly

2352B79A-EF0D-45C9-8709-761C9323A486.jpeg

Reaction Score
Perfect situation for a freshman perimeter scorer to step into.
If you remember part of the success of 2011 was Lamb emerging as a scoring threat.Taking a little heat off Kemba .
Lamb probably had a worse handle or at least similar to The Hawk
Hurley has to play this kid or this team is a one trick pony.

Reaction Score
It also seems the other players do not want to pass to him?
I hope not:(
Just play hard and smart--listen to the coach --find the open man or take the open shot/drive.

Reaction Score
If only we knew someone who could teach him to dribble lower and under control

university-of-connecticut-basketball-player-chris-smith-dribbles-the-picture-id173084000
The Lowest dribble in CBB history, barely any air under the ball

Reaction Score
People keep making comments like this and I don't get it, his usage rate is really not that high to say he's playing selfishly

View attachment 71479
If you eliminate walk-ons and little used bench players in above list he's right there with other starters re: usage. However, the point to my comments was more about Hawk sharing the ball with his teammates instead of shoot-first all of the time. When he isn't receiving passes when he's open--It's starting to show in his body language.

Kind of like NFL receivers who return to the huddle after a pass play and tell the QB he was wide open once again and he missed him.

I am a big Hawk supporter-He will probably evolve into one of our top offensive threats while at Storrs. Can shoot the rock. Give me an assist to an open teammate once in awhile just to keep the D honest. His talent(s) are obvious.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you eliminate walk-ons and little used bench players in above list he's right there with other starters re: usage. However, the point to my comments was more about Hawk sharing the ball with his teammates instead of shoot-first all of the time. When he isn't receiving passes when he's open--It's starting to show in his body language.

Kind of like NFL receivers who return to the huddle after a pass play and tell the QB he was wide open once again and he missed him.

I am a big Hawk supporter-He will probably evolve into one of our top offensive threats while at Storrs. Can shoot the rock. Give me an assist to an open teammate once in awhile just to keep the D honest. His talent(s) are obvious.
This is a very bad and inaccurate read imo. He has passed plenty of times--too often if anything; and his main purpose on the floor is to shoot.

In a similar vein, I remember being frustrated that Ray used to camp out outside the three point line and was hesitant to mix it up much of the time; then I realized that that's exactly what Calhoun wanted him to do.

Extrapolating that Hawkins is a selfish, me-first player is quite a stretch, and not a healthy one.

Reaction Score

Yes, that's literally what usage rate is. It means 20.7% of the time that he gets the ball he either shoots/gets FTs/turns the ball over. So 4 out of 5 times he's passing to his teammates. Your take is wrong

Reaction Score
This is a very bad and inaccurate read imo. He has passed plenty of times--too often if anything; and his main purpose on the floor is to shoot.

In a similar vein, I remember being frustrated that Ray used to camp out outside the three point line and was hesitant to mix it up much of the time; then I realized that that's exactly what Calhoun wanted him to do.

Extrapolating that Hawkins is a selfish, me-first player is quite a stretch, and not a healthy one.
Comments have been made on the Yard about Hawkins being frustrated with his teammates (shown through his body language) when they're not getting him the ball when he's open.

IMO- I believe part of that reason could be to include them in passes(when the ball is in his hands) when they're open as part of a balanced offensive attack. Team ball. Part of his evolution.

Just an observation being made by me based on previous Yard posts. Hawkins is a baller and a next-level talent. There is no argument about that. Enjoy him while he's here.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
He is averaging a hair over 7 ppg with a 48/38/80 split. Overall that’s a good start if you figure continued slight improvement over the year, ending up at say 11 or 12 ppg. Right on the 2 and done path like Bouk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom