Hawaii Honeymoon Advice | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hawaii Honeymoon Advice

Reaction Score
HMM. Our 20 year is coming up next year. Never been. What's a quieter Island that is more nightlife and romance than touristy?

Reaction Score
Honeymooned at Grand Wailea for 5 nights 25 years ago. Back then was able to use some American Airlines points/vouchers to cut rate by 50%. Nicest hotel I've ever been to in my life. Highly recommend Wailea area even if you can't swing the Grand Wailea.
I remember those days, can you no longer use American miles on hotels? We flew business class and all our hotels and rental cars for 10 nights were covered with miles. On Kaui we stayed at the Princeville Resort. One of the nicest if not the nicest hotel I have stayed at. Ocean view room overlooking the beach where they filmed South Pacific.

Reaction Score
Looks like you already have some great advice. I'll pile on here.

Can any of you guys share any advice as to which island would be best suited for a romantic getaway?

Kauai and Maui hands down

Any tips or lived experiences would be much appreciated as I scramble to get this organized. Thanks!

Black sand beaches, if you go to oahu and like to hike look up the stairway to heaven, also I'm sure this is on here but Pearl Harbor is a place I would not skip (not exactly romantic) if you are going out there it makes my hair stand up every time im there, road to Hana on Maui is a must get up early it takes all day AND most people don't keep going around when they get to hana they turn around and go back the way they came (go all the way around), Kauai helicopter tour is worth it (and usually consider them a waste of money), if you dive that is a must too while you are there completely different than the Caribbean. Hawaii is a special place.

Congrats, Good Luck, Enjoy

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Thanks for the fact check and snarky reply. Clearly "only on the Boneyard". Its ok to take a break from the Boneyard, give it a shot sometime.

Not sure local Las Vegas news is the best justification. Vegas also isn't a great airline hub.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
HMM. Our 20 year is coming up next year. Never been. What's a quieter Island that is more nightlife and romance than touristy?

If you consider a full resort hotel loud, I'd say the Big Island has plenty of quieter places to go along with the resorts, though they are farther apart than on Maui. Kona has a very New England feel to it's main drag. It could be compared to Hampton Beach, NH, OOB, ME, Newport, Martha's Vineyard in terms of eating and drinking. It's touristy but there is a lot of variety. There are enough hotels/AirBNBs in and around Kona. Waikaloa is the major resort area, it's about 30 minutes or so north of Kona Airport (KOA). I wouldn't stay on the Hilo side unless your mission is to explore VNP or the beaches on that side of the island.

Kauai, Molokai, and Lanai don't have much in the way of nightlife. There are restaurants and bars off-property but they are closer to a small town scene than a hot spot. But if you want quiet, you can more easily find it there. Molokai is the quietest and has the least amount of development. There are two "towns" Manualoa is more of an encampment, if it even still exists now that Molokai Ranch is closed. Kaunakakai is the main "town" but there isn't a ton of variety. You will however, be able to find your own private beach.

Lanai, as stated earlier is a one resort island, the Four Seasons, and that's it. Also very quiet and not much else.

Kauai has two main areas, Poipu and Princeville with a handful of resorts in between the two. The capital of Lihue is not really a vacation destination. Kauai can be quiet and you can find a place to hang out at night, but there will likely be a lot of people doing the same things as you as the to do list is quite short. I've been there twice and would go again.

As for Oahu, you can find both but not likely at the same time or the same place. If nightlife is more important than avoiding traffic and crowds, it's worth considering but,...

When in doubt, go to Maui.

Reaction Score
Good Morning Boneyard!

I'm getting married this October and recently cancelled mine and my Fiancée's Paris honeymoon plans. I'm now pivoting to booking a 2 week stay in Hawaii during the second half of October and am finding the task more daunting than first expected. Can any of you guys share any advice as to which island would be best suited for a romantic getaway? Any tips or lived experiences would be much appreciated as I scramble to get this organized. Thanks!
Can Hawaii, go to Bora-Bora or Moorea.

Reaction Score
Honeymooned at Grand Wailea for 5 nights 25 years ago. Back then was able to use some American Airlines points/vouchers to cut rate by 50%. Nicest hotel I've ever been to in my life. Highly recommend Wailea area even if you can't swing the Grand Wailea.

This. The grand Wailea is unreal (but pricey). there are like 4 hotels centered around the same beach if I remember correctly, a beach that is literally a post card. You go out a few yards into the water and your riding waves with sea turtles.

Reaction Score
Good Morning Boneyard!

I'm getting married this October and recently cancelled mine and my Fiancée's Paris honeymoon plans. I'm now pivoting to booking a 2 week stay in Hawaii during the second half of October and am finding the task more daunting than first expected. Can any of you guys share any advice as to which island would be best suited for a romantic getaway? Any tips or lived experiences would be much appreciated as I scramble to get this organized. Thanks!
Bring plenty of money!

Reaction Score
I have done both and preferred Hawaii. For pure beauty the Tahitian islands win, but I found Bora Bora especially to be a bit boring. Zero light pollution though, so best night sky I have ever seen in my life.
Moorea is my favorite, best coral reef snorkeling I’ve ever done, and only 30 yards beyond the dock.

Reaction Score
Thank you everyone for taking the time to advise, I am overwhelmed by how helpful you all are! I shared the thread with my lady and while we are still wading through all of the responses I can happily report that she's starting to get why I tune in daily to the 'yard. We are still trying to decide between Maui and Kauai, but thanks to your responses a convertible is now firmly on the list of demands.

Cheers Everyone!
Went to Hawaii for mine as well. Spent the obligatory two days in Honolulu. Just to catch your breath after wedding and long flight. Pearl Harbor is a must. Then did 5 nights in Maui and 5 in Kauai. Both are awesome. The island hopper on Hawaiian air is affordable. Make sure while in Kauai you do one of those sunset cruises. The scenery is unreal and you should spot a few whales!

Reaction Score
Went to Hawaii for mine as well. Spent the obligatory two days in Honolulu. Just to catch your breath after wedding and long flight. Pearl Harbor is a must. Then did 5 nights in Maui and 5 in Kauai. Both are awesome. The island hopper on Hawaiian air is affordable. Make sure while in Kauai you do one of those sunset cruises. The scenery is unreal and you should spot a few whales!
Unfortunately you won't see whales in Hawaii in October. Whale season in Hawaii starts in December and goes into May. It's possible to see a stray whale or two in late October but don't count on it.

Reaction Score
Got engaged on Maui in Oct '03, so my info is aged but consistent with a lot of what has been said. Get the convertible. We stayed in Lahaina for the central location. We did sunrise on Haleakala but not the bike ride as my wife wasn't much of a rider. Do it early in your trip as being on Eastern Time will help you get up early enough to make the trip. The drive up alone is worth it. It will be cold at sunrise, but warms up quickly, so bring layers. We did hike the crater after too, and I recommend that. If you're really adventurous, you can hike down the crater to Hana. We didn't. I think that's a two-day hike. And the Uber back up to get your car would cost a mint.

It was quiet in October when we were there, so the Road to Hana wasn't very crowded. It's a must-do. As others have said, start pretty early. We took lots of little excursions down side roads along the way. Someone said not to drive and to take a tour, but forget that unless you're a lousy driver. You'll drive in and out of rain on a twisty road, but it's not as nerve wracking as a lot of drives I've done. The rental car companies all had restrictions on going around the south end which is why most drivers go back the way they came. The road is supposed to be treacherous, but we had no problems in our Chrysler convertible.

The surf and snorkeling are just fantastic. I heard Molikini was damaged. We took a snorkel trip there which was amazing. Snorkeling among the sea turtles is just incredible. But you can walk in off most beaches and find great snorkeling.

After a week on Maui, we moved on to Kauai where we stayed in Poipu for the swimmable beaches, warmer water, snorkeling and for more restaurants. "More" is relative, as Kauai is quite quiet. Our hotel's pool closed at 6:00, for example. And lots of restaurants closed on the earlier side. The north side resorts like Princeville are beautiful, but the water isn't swimmable much of the time with the surf and currents.

You think Maui is incredibly beautiful until you get to Kauai. The boat tour on the Napali coast is phenomenal aside from sea sickness (about 75% of the people on our catamaran hurled in 6' swells). Our captain took us right into a waterfall coming down from a couple of hundred feet up a cliffside. So cool. And the helicopter tour is well worth it too. Just try to get the best weather day for it that you can as they may not be able to get you into some of the ravines.

There is hiking galore. We took the road around the north shore all the way to the end for the trailhead to Kalalau Beach. It's about a 2 hourish hike to the beach. If you start early enough, you can then take the trail inland along the stream up to a series of amazing waterfalls. Just leave enough time to get back. We finished the hike in the dark (shorter days in Oct) which wasn't fun as you're along cliff edges on a narrow trail at some points. If you do this from Poipu, start early and drive directly to the trailhead without a lot of stops on the way. Use another day to go back if you want to explore the civilized part of the north shore.

Wai'mea Canyon is also incredible. It can be a half day if you just drive up and explore the rim or much more if you want to hike that area.

I think someone else mentioned Barking Sands Beach for sunset. Rent a Jeep if you go or bring an extra 6-pack to reward a local for winching you out of a rut if you get stuck.

Whatever you choose, have fun. It will be an unforgettable trip.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunately you won't see whales in Hawaii in October. Whale season in Hawaii starts in December and goes into May. It's possible to see a stray whale or two in late October but don't count on it.
Wasn’t aware of that. Good catch. I went I. may.

Reaction Score
Got engaged on Maui in Oct '03, so my info is aged but consistent with a lot of what has been said. Get the convertible. We stayed in Lahaina for the central location. We did sunrise on Haleakala but not the bike ride as my wife wasn't much of a rider. Do it early in your trip as being on Eastern Time will help you get up early enough to make the trip. The drive up alone is worth it. It will be cold at sunrise, but warms up quickly, so bring layers. We did hike the crater after too, and I recommend that. If you're really adventurous, you can hike down the crater to Hana. We didn't. I think that's a two-day hike. And the Uber back up to get your car would cost a mint.

It was quiet in October when we were there, so the Road to Hana wasn't very crowded. It's a must-do. As others have said, start pretty early. We took lots of little excursions down side roads along the way. Someone said not to drive and to take a tour, but forget that unless you're a lousy driver. You'll drive in and out of rain on a twisty road, but it's not as nerve wracking as a lot of drives I've done. The rental car companies all had restrictions on going around the south end which is why most drivers go back the way they came. The road is supposed to be treacherous, but we had no problems in our Chrysler convertible.

The surf and snorkeling are just fantastic. I heard Molikini was damaged. We took a snorkel trip there which was amazing. Snorkeling among the sea turtles is just incredible. But you can walk in off most beaches and find great snorkeling.

After a week on Maui, we moved on to Kauai where we stayed in Poipu for the swimmable beaches, warmer water, snorkeling and for more restaurants. "More" is relative, as Kauai is quite quiet. Our hotel's pool closed at 6:00, for example. And lots of restaurants closed on the earlier side. The north side resorts like Princeville are beautiful, but the water isn't swimmable much of the time with the surf and currents.

You think Maui is incredibly beautiful until you get to Kauai. The boat tour on the Napali coast is phenomenal aside from sea sickness (about 75% of the people on our catamaran hurled in 6' swells). Our captain took us right into a waterfall coming down from a couple of hundred feet up a cliffside. So cool. And the helicopter tour is well worth it too. Just try to get the best weather day for it that you can as they may not be able to get you into some of the ravines.

There is hiking galore. We took the road around the north shore all the way to the end for the trailhead to Kalalau Beach. It's about a 2 hourish hike to the beach. If you start early enough, you can then take the trail inland along the stream up to a series of amazing waterfalls. Just leave enough time to get back. We finished the hike in the dark (shorter days in Oct) which wasn't fun as you're along cliff edges on a narrow trail at some points. If you do this from Poipu, start early and drive directly to the trailhead without a lot of stops on the way. Use another day to go back if you want to explore the civilized part of the north shore.

Wai'mea Canyon is also incredible. It can be a half day if you just drive up and explore the rim or much more if you want to hike that area.

I think someone else mentioned Barking Sands Beach for sunset. Rent a Jeep if you go or bring an extra 6-pack to reward a local for winching you out of a rut if you get stuck.

Whatever you choose, have fun. It will be an unforgettable trip.
I’m amazed at your recollection from 18 yrs ago!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Consider getting a jeep. Your rental car contract will include several no go zones. Some of those you will want to go to.

Also the Hawaii sun can be brutal. Consider that before renting a convertible.

Reaction Score
my Ex wife insists that her first husband- on Honeymoon in Hawaii - schtupped multiple women.

don't do that. Sheesh. She'll talk about you for the next 35 years

Reaction Score
my Ex wife insists that her first husband- on Honeymoon in Hawaii - schtupped multiple women.

don't do that. Sheesh. She'll talk about you for the next 35 years
Were you her first husband?

Reaction Score
I remember those days, can you no longer use American miles on hotels? We flew business class and all our hotels and rental cars for 10 nights were covered with miles. On Kaui we stayed at the Princeville Resort. One of the nicest if not the nicest hotel I have stayed at. Ocean view room overlooking the beach where they filmed South Pacific.
Pre-internet days when I booked this 25 years ago. IIRC, I used miles for entire flight and when AA sent me the paper ticket, it included some vouchers which could be redeemed for AA hotel, car rental partners, etc. At the time, Grand Wailea was owned by Hyatt Corp. (i think) so you could use that voucher for a max of 4 nights of 50% off per night.

I also used miles to cover my wife's airfare. AA sent her the same vouchers so I used those towards 4 nights 50% off at Princeville Resort which was then a Sheraton property. As you said, another amazing property.

Reaction Score
Were you her first husband?

NOPE ... he was a NFL linebacker who played for the New England Patriots then the San Francisco 49ers. I am just a guy from her hometown that was doing well when she needed to get to the next stone crossing on that river.

Reaction Score
NOPE ... he was a NFL linebacker who played for the New England Patriots then the San Francisco 49ers. I am just a guy from her hometown that was doing well when she needed to get to the next stone crossing on that river.
I was just joking with my question. I’m sure she was happy when trading up for a new model.

Reaction Score
I was just joking with my question. I’m sure she was happy when trading up for a new model.

ya know

first. I lived in California for a decade. We went to Hawaii regularly every year; my roommate was from a Kamehameha foundation family. They are in Kaneohe today. Hawaii is just a reasonable west coast flight. From NY, it's too much.

second. As you get older. Lots of stories. I wish I had wisdom at 30. However. I did watch my University rise from a weak farm school in a fieldhouse to a national sports power. In several sports. God blessed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom