Haven't beaten a top team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Haven't beaten a top team

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If you read the names of the schools we played, it sounds a lot better than their performances so far this year.

KenPom has us ranked 250 for Non Conference SOS..a lot different from Purdue's 6th ranked NCSOS.

Forget their brand names, if KenPom thinks 249 schools have played teams better than Kansas, Texas, UNC and Indiana, then Ken needs to check his calculator.

Reactions: caw

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
It's all kinda hilarious when I hear the negative stuff - I guess folks really hate us. Works for me and our 5 rings.

Reaction Score
Although Houston is still a question to me best win at home against a meh A&M team
While played in Houston, technically it was a neutral site game played at the Rockets arena.

Reaction Score
We tried to beat more people last year, but, eventually, there was no one else left to play.
That’s what happens when people keep talking about SOS not realizing you are the BEST. The team others need to be compared to…

This year Is last year all over again - sure when we have a few losses we drop like a rock in rankings.

Reaction Score
While played in Houston, technically it was a neutral site game played at the Rockets arena.
Which I was aware of but have to say it is a genius NET move. Oh no that Marquette win was a neutral we played them at E.O. Smith.

Reaction Score
It's pretty funny how no matter what P5 competition we play, the same people (on and off the Boneyard) say they're overrated the year we play them

Reaction Score
It's true that we haven't beaten any world-beaters, but then again, so have few others.

Gonzaga, UNC, and Texas are all overrated and won't be as "quality" wins as those teams' ranking indicated at the time. Those are basically 2nd round to maybe Sweet 16 caliber teams.

But we've beaten them convincingly and played a close game against a true contender on the road, which means we've looked the part of a #1 seed.
Don't acquiesce to moronic arguments. We are the only world-beating team. Don't believe me? Give me another team that has beaten OOC opponents by more than 10 points consecutively the last two years more than us? The answer is nobody is close! That stat is not normal; we should not take it for granted. This team is a world beater, and nobody else is close. So stop the nonsense. They can rank us wherever they want. They still will have to beat us in March. And I do not see that happening.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Sounds like a luke-warm take to generate some kind of engagement with the populace.

Reaction Score
Blah Blah Blah Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
the best win among Zona, Houston, and Baylor might be #24 wisconsin (i'm putting them ahead of duke for their win against Marquette) yet all three are still ranked in the top 10. is the same being said about them? prob not.

Reaction Score
Several podcasts I listen to bring up that the top teams UConn has beaten are not truly top ten caliber teams. It seems like a ridiculous argument to me. So far to me it seems like there is a clear top 6 in some order Purdue Kansas UConn Arizona Houston Marquette (Although Houston is still a question to me best win at home against a meh A&M team) but after that who are these other actual top ten teams. UNC and the ZAGs have as good a case as anyone. They didn't look like top ten teams because they played us and looked bad. This might be news to the media but that is going to happen a lot this year.
That’s fine- we went to the hardest place to play in the nation in where fans camped outside for multiple days to get tickets & had a 46% three point shooter take a wide open 3 to win the game that unfortunately just came up short.

With that said, that statement doesn’t really matter if it is true or not.

Reaction Score
Over the weekend I heard at least 3 basketball analysts on television thought we were the best team in the nation right now & have a great chance to repeat. Also, heard probably another handful say we are at worst top 3 in the nation. If the point of this thread is to say UConn isn’t getting enough PUB, don’t think that’s accurate- I think a lot of high end CBB analysts know how good this UConn team is.

Reaction Score
Several podcasts I listen to
You're not going to name the podcasts?

Why do I have a feeling we're going to find out it's two teenagers with a Youtube channel that has 200 subscribers.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Old habits die hard. We didn't beat anyone last year until we beat everyone.

Reaction Score
You're not going to name the podcasts?

Why do I have a feeling we're going to find out it's two teenagers with a Youtube channel that has 200 subscribers.
Field of, eye on, 3 man it's the main shows

Reaction Score
I'll also say I fully understand the hate on this thread. UConn nation myself included loves to play the victim, but I think when seeding is selected by a subjective committee these things matter. While we've historically done great out of the west a regional of Brooklyn and Boston would give is a significant advantage. Also haven't been AP number 1 since I was a freshman and I'm not exactly young so that would be cool too

caw

Reaction Score

Compared to Purdue, no good team has played a harder schedule. It's not like it's all their OOC scheduling though. They lucked out on their draw in Maui (they still won but we are talking SOS) and having an absurdly stacked field where they did not draw any of the mediocre to bad teams in the first round (Chaminade, Cuse, UCLA). They got X in the Gavitt Games.

Aside from that they got Bama and Zona. Zona is a huge surprise this year, but both are really good solid schedule games. Their other four games are: Samford, Moorehead State, and upcoming Jacksonville and Eastern Kentucky.

Still better than UConn's 6 buy games but it's really boosted by the early BIG games (which pushed buy games back, to be clear, I know these games wouldn't be included in OOC SOS) and only having played two buy games so far.

Reaction Score
Of those, I only occasionally listen to Eye On, but I can't remember them being negative on UConn. Sleepers guys are constantly saying how great they think UConn is.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Did you know?

If IU or TX or UNC or the Zags had beaten us, they'd all be ranked hire. And our SOS improves too, whoop whoop whoop

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom