Have we spoken about this yet? | The Boneyard

Have we spoken about this yet?

Reaction Score
If we win the 3rd, I think it is a world away from 2.

Back to back is crazy impressive but 3?

If you're a weightlifter, remember how easy it was to cruise from 225 to 285 on the bench, but then you hit a wall at 300lbs? That 3 is another stratosphere.

So here's the question: would a 3 peat, with another few lottery picks, put us into that Michigan football category? Where we are so damn huge that non CT kids are rocking our gear?

Would every worry and concern about realignment be put to bed?

I think a 3 peat would be enough for us to go Caitlin C level viral. And that would be too much for people to ignore.

How does a 3peat change things for us in regards to the ncaa landscape?

Reaction Score
Can't speak to much else but realignment concerns would be entirely unaffected. B1G would give up ever playing basketball again to keep their FB media money if it came to that.
The wild card is the ratings increase in women’s basketball. We shall see if it’s strictly a Caitlin Clark phenomenon, or something larger. If the trend were to continue, then that would put a premium on the UConn brand, which would undoubtedly draw a large number of viewers, particularly with Paige being the face of the sport next year in college.

Reaction Score
The wild card is the ratings increase in women’s basketball. We shall see if it’s strictly a Caitlin Clark phenomenon, or something larger. If the trend were to continue, then that would put a premium on the UConn brand, which would undoubtedly draw a large number of viewers, particularly with Paige being the face of the sport next year in college.
I tend to agree more with this stance.
If we get a big following outside of Connecticut, that's 'different' money.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree more with this stance.
If we get a big following outside of Connecticut, that's 'different' money.
Men’s basketball revenue is considered “nice” by the power football conferences. But if women’s basketball continues its upward trajectory, then that’s a game changer for tv contracts and revenue. All of a sudden the UConn brand would be mightily attractive even with a middling or middle of the road football program.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
To be honest, I really have no idea. My instinct is to think it will be story for a few weeks and we will all feel great, but I don’t see any significant change in overall perception.

Reaction Score
Hurley and the staff are not focused on a “3 peat” I bet though it’s all he will be asked about the entire year.
This is meticulous brick by brick building of his team and his and staff’s effort and intensity will not be matched by any other program but the players are variables and so can injuries be. There are other players and their teams working just as hard so if it happens it happens.
I find it insane to be talking about the so called 3 peat or where it places the program.
If and when it happens is the time for that speculation. To me it’s bad luck.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
With Cooper Flagg there should be a lot more eyes on college basketball this year. If we have any stars that the average fan can gravitate towards I think that could definitely help.

Kemba and Shabazz earned us a lot of buzz during their times.

Also I hope women’s basketball continue their trend with Paige and Juju who looks like she can break Caitlin’s scoring record next.

Reaction Score
Hurley and the staff are not focused on a “3 peat” I bet though it’s all he will be asked about the entire year.
This is meticulous brick by brick building of his team and his and staff’s effort and intensity will not be matched by any other program but the players are variables and so can injuries be. There are other players and their teams working just as hard so if it happens it happens.
I find it insane to be talking about the so called 3 peat or where it places the program.
If and when it happens is the time for that speculation. To me it’s bad luck.
Hurley and staff are absolutely focused on a three-peat.

Reaction Score
It would only make sense. Everyone is aware of it. The back-to-back titles is THE reason that the Lakers and Kentucky came after DH. Though athletes may be more physically gifted than us, it doesn't mean that they are automatically morally superior, where they can claim that they don't care about money, or setting records, or posterity. Ricky Williams is the exception.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is assembling one of his best teams ever. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t get #12 next spring.

Reaction Score
Last year they were focused on the 2 peat, so what? Every team is focused on building a championship team as is Uconn which if they win it will be a 3 peat. It’s not like they are doing something different because it would be 3rd in a row. They are just building the best competitive team they can which is what they did the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
If Hurley doesn't win the championship again, he's going to go into solitary confinement for months in shame. It's probably the only thing in his mind during every practice. Hurley is psycho, and that's why he's so good

Reaction Score
Would we be in the conversation as the greatest college basketball program/Hurley as the greatest coach? Absolutely. But I don't think you'd suddenly see tons of kids wearing UConn shirts because of that.

3 is no different from 2 in that sense, and Duke already has the mass appeal of casual fans. Winning has very little to do with that. The bandwagon kid is still a Yankeee/Cowboys/Lakers/Duke fan, and anyone born this century has barely seen any championships from that group.

Unrelated, I'd never wish being compared to Michigan on my worst enemy. That's worse than any nightmare imaginable

Reaction Score
Last year they were focused on the 2 peat, so what? Every team is focused on building a championship team as is Uconn which if they win it will be a 3 peat. It’s not like they are doing something different because it would be 3rd in a row. They are just building the best competitive team they can which is what they did the last 2 years.
You said Hurley and staff are not focused on a "3 peat."

This couldn't be further from the truth, he's talked constantly about how he's focused on the three peat.

You then said you find it insane to be talking about the so called 3 peat and said it's bad luck.

Jibsey not being focused on a three-peat is entirely different than Hurley and staff not being focused on the three-peat.

Reaction Score
Would we be in the conversation as the greatest college basketball program/Hurley as the greatest coach? Absolutely. But I don't think you'd suddenly see tons of kids wearing UConn shirts because of that.

3 is no different from 2 in that sense, and Duke already has the mass appeal of casual fans. Winning has very little to do with that. The bandwagon kid is still a Yankeee/Cowboys/Lakers/Duke fan, and anyone born this century has barely seen any championships from that group.

Unrelated, I'd never wish being compared to Michigan on my worst enemy. That's worse than any nightmare imaginable
Doubt any bandwagon followers born in past 30 years are Cowboys fans…there’s no winning to get behind

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He said as much in multiple interviews, including giving going for the three as a partial reason for not taking the LA job

Reaction Score

I'm not so sure UConn can't win the mass appeal battle but they do have to overcome over 30 years of hype under a coach with great national recognition who put a lot of stars in the NBA.

Maybe it'll come down to what's more important: stars like Flagg or a three peat by a team that plays like no other.

The talking heads were effusive in their praise for the style of play, and astonished at the margins of victory, in the last two championships. If there's a third straight title that'll be further amplified and we may have a new America's Team, especially since the team has so many likeable players and plays with such obvious joy.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I feel a lot of fandom is built either growing up with a close family member or friend (but usually a parent or grandparent) being a fan of that team or through transcendent superstars.

So I answer your question with a question (because I can’t think of any but may be missing something…) what modern (last 30 years) team has become a bandwagon fanbase without a superstar player or coach?

The Warriors have Steph. The Patriots had Brady & Belichick. The Chiefs have Mahomes. Duke had Coach K.

I think if UConn becomes a bandwagon team it will be because of the personality of Dan Hurley not a 3 peat.

Reaction Score

I saw a ton of people wearing UConn shirts in Europe this past summer. Didn’t see North Carolina shirts, Villanova shirts, Gonzaga shirts, Kansas shirts, or Tennessee shirts. I did see ONE Duke shirt, one Kentucky shirt, 2 UCLA shirts on a couple holding hands, a Michigan shirt, LOL a Boston College shirt, LOL again a Rutgers shirt. Saw several Harvard/Yale/MIT shirts. Basketball is very big in Europe, so I think Uconn is a well known quantity over there.

Went to Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Czechoslovakia, the UK, Denmark and Norway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I feel a lot of fandom is built either growing up with a close family member or friend (but usually a parent or grandparent) being a fan of that team or through transcendent superstars.

So I answer your question with a question (because I can’t think of any but may be missing something…) what modern (last 30 years) team has become a bandwagon fanbase without a superstar player or coach?

The Warriors have Steph. The Patriots had Brady & Belichick. The Chiefs have Mahomes. Duke had Coach K.

I think if UConn becomes a bandwagon team it will be because of the personality of Dan Hurley not a 3 peat.
That's a really good point... and question. It used to be more prevalent. I think many of the older Reds fans, Steelers fans, dolphin fans, notre dame fans didn't jump on the bandwagon because of the existence of a star. (Bradshaw, Griese or Rose, )

But... we can also ask if there are many recent, super successful teams that DONT HAVE a star?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom