Have We Forgotten About ... Aaliyah? | The Boneyard

Have We Forgotten About ... Aaliyah?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I've just been reading through a bunch of comments in another thread about how, by December, the two players carrying the team, at least on offense, will be Azzi and Caroline. I guess it's more likely than not that they will be the top scorers, although I would note that Caroline is likely to have some pretty stiff competition at her wing position from both Aubrey and Ayanna. But at the power forward position, Aaliyah's main competition (and it could also be stiff) will be from the Icewoman.

Some of you may recall that I have been defending Aaliyah at various times on this board. I think she has the physical talent (not talking about maturity or experience) to be as good as Morgan Tuck or Napheesa Collier, the two most distinguished recent players at her position. I think she is physically more talented (and less injury-prone) than Morgan, and potentially as skilled as Napheesa, as well as stronger and slightly bigger. Undoubtedly, her production to date at the position has not yet rivaled either of theirs, but I think the capability exists. She had a "swoon" for the first half of last season, and she certainly did not cover herself with glory in the championship game against South Carolina.

But look at the positives from last year:
  • The Tennessee game. In that game, against a team known for strong inside play and in fact leading the country in rebounding margin at the time, Aaliyah played 37 minutes with only 3 fouls, shot 5-for-6 from the field including 1 3-pointer, and had 7 rebounds to lead the team. She scored 14 points.
  • The Indiana game. Against another team with a good front court, she had 10 rebounds including 5 offensive rebounds, shot 4-for-8, and scored 9 points. She also had 2 blocks in this game, playing 30 minutes and committing only 3 fouls.
  • The NC State game. In this 48-minute game, she played 39 minutes and did foul out late in the game while scoring 10 points and grabbing 6 rebounds. This was the game in which Dorka was injured, so Aaliyah had to step up, and she probably played more minutes than Geno was planning.
  • The Stanford game. Against a very big and skilled team, she played 19 minutes with 3 fouls, shot 3-for-6 from the field and 3-for-4 from the line, and had 8 rebounds including 4 offensive rebounds. Her free throws included those crucial ones at the end of the game that put the game out of reach for Stanford.
It would require a further step forward, but not a great leap, for Aaliyah to reach the Pheesa / Morgan level this year and next. She has demonstrated that her scoring is not limited to the immediate area of the basket -- she can take midrange jump shots and even an occasional 3-pointer and hit a respectable percentage. She should be able to hit as many jump shots as Dorka, and at a similar percentage, while surpassing Dorka with her inside play at both ends of the court. I expect Aaliyah to be a bigger scoring threat than Dorka this year, and a greater focus of opponents' game plans. I would expect Aaliyah this year to score 12-14 points per game, get 6-8 rebounds per game, and get to the free throw line a lot, i.e., to get opponents in foul trouble more often than she is in foul trouble herself.

Having Ice on the bench should make her worry less about fouls, OR (if Ice plays very well) perhaps it will make Aaliyah worry more about fouls so that she gives Ice less opportunity to grab her starting job. But I really don't expect Ice to play that well as a freshman, even though her long-term potential is also probably at the Morgan / Napheesa level.

Reaction Score
@JoePgh ... No argument or disagreement. I don't think anyone has forgotten about Aaliyah. For most UConn fans that is simply impossible. I just think most the chatter has been around guard play with Paige going down for the season.
You just needed a thread to feed your addiction... ;)
Your stats and facts always welcome here. :D

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Na. Aaliyah, I suspect with show growth from last year and git it done. :cool:

It's just a thought "in my head". But, Aaliyah's being with the Canadian Team was less than positive for her development as a player. :(

But no. Haven't forgotten Aaliyah in the least. :)

Reaction Score
I personally like both Azzi and Caroline. However, I'm reluctant to pin the ONLY STANDOUT on either or both, not yet. We haven't seen the highly regarded new kids including Lou, Ines. The world goes around faster these days and I'm hoping 8 of or 11 of these kids take turns at leading the scoring and defensive attacks.
General Patton, like him, as I do, or dislike him over the press you think he received. He believed you press the attack and keep pressure on your foe until they capitulate. That is the mode Geno tends to use. Do we have the "tanks" and field pieces to maintain that attack?
To answer your question: One would likely to have been following another team not to keep Ms Edwards in their belief in Uconn's immediate future.

Reaction Score
If Aubrey gives Caroline "stiff competition" we are doomed.
I agree. Who said that? Ridiculous. Two totally different skill set. Unless Aubrey is what I think it was Cuago? Had been talking about for a few years now.

Reaction Score
Brady can be listed as a pf but I'm still thinking she will play the 5 more than the 4. Of course that is if her strength level is sufficient. UConn doesn't have a 5 and Edwards/Dorka/DeBerry aren't as well-suited. She is the closest thing to an immovable force as UConn has this season. I remember Geno commenting that he has a spot for her at the high post and just wanted to get her in the weight room.
I'm expecting that for the third straight year UConn's new players will make contributions in games and maybe even start one or two. I'm OK with living with their mistakes if they are also making plays.

Reaction Score
I've just been reading through a bunch of comments in another thread about how, by December, the two players carrying the team, at least on offense, will be Azzi and Caroline. I guess it's more likely than not that they will be the top scorers, although I would note that Caroline is likely to have some pretty stiff competition at her wing position from both Aubrey and Ayanna. But at the power forward position, Aaliyah's main competition (and it could also be stiff) will be from the Icewoman.

Some of you may recall that I have been defending Aaliyah at various times on this board. I think she has the physical talent (not talking about maturity or experience) to be as good as Morgan Tuck or Napheesa Collier, the two most distinguished recent players at her position. I think she is physically more talented (and less injury-prone) than Morgan, and potentially as skilled as Napheesa, as well as stronger and slightly bigger. Undoubtedly, her production to date at the position has not yet rivaled either of theirs, but I think the capability exists. She had a "swoon" for the first half of last season, and she certainly did not cover herself with glory in the championship game against South Carolina.

But look at the positives from last year:
  • The Tennessee game. In that game, against a team known for strong inside play and in fact leading the country in rebounding margin at the time, Aaliyah played 37 minutes with only 3 fouls, shot 5-for-6 from the field including 1 3-pointer, and had 7 rebounds to lead the team. She scored 14 points.
  • The Indiana game. Against another team with a good front court, she had 10 rebounds including 5 offensive rebounds, shot 4-for-8, and scored 9 points. She also had 2 blocks in this game, playing 30 minutes and committing only 3 fouls.
  • The NC State game. In this 48-minute game, she played 39 minutes and did foul out late in the game while scoring 10 points and grabbing 6 rebounds. This was the game in which Dorka was injured, so Aaliyah had to step up, and she probably played more minutes than Geno was planning.
  • The Stanford game. Against a very big and skilled team, she played 19 minutes with 3 fouls, shot 3-for-6 from the field and 3-for-4 from the line, and had 8 rebounds including 4 offensive rebounds. Her free throws included those crucial ones at the end of the game that put the game out of reach for Stanford.
It would require a further step forward, but not a great leap, for Aaliyah to reach the Pheesa / Morgan level this year and next. She has demonstrated that her scoring is not limited to the immediate area of the basket -- she can take midrange jump shots and even an occasional 3-pointer and hit a respectable percentage. She should be able to hit as many jump shots as Dorka, and at a similar percentage, while surpassing Dorka with her inside play at both ends of the court. I expect Aaliyah to be a bigger scoring threat than Dorka this year, and a greater focus of opponents' game plans. I would expect Aaliyah this year to score 12-14 points per game, get 6-8 rebounds per game, and get to the free throw line a lot, i.e., to get opponents in foul trouble more often than she is in foul trouble herself.

Having Ice on the bench should make her worry less about fouls, OR (if Ice plays very well) perhaps it will make Aaliyah worry more about fouls so that she gives Ice less opportunity to grab her starting job. But I really don't expect Ice to play that well as a freshman, even though her long-term potential is also probably at the Morgan / Napheesa level.
I love AE and agree that she has a tremendous amount of untapped potential left in her. I’m hopeful (and fairly confident) that we will see a huge jump this season. However, I would be very surprised (though very happy) to see her reach Pheesa’s level of play. While I am bullish on AE’s future and am convinced she will likely be an All-American before she leaves UConn, Pheesa might be a little out of reach. Pheesa was (and continues to be) a transcendent talent! I would put Pheesa among the very best UConn players ever, just below the usual suspects at the very top! Take Dee, Maya, Stewie, Sue, and Paige, off the list and Pheesa would have to be on that next line! Not alone, of course, but definitely imo, among that next group of players! Could Aaliyah reach that level? Possibly, I hope so, but she has a long way to go.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone has forgotten about AE or any of the players because they will all be need a some point during this season. I have a great deal of curiosity about AE for this reason: AE had a statistically superior freshman season as compared to her sophomore campaign (Higher as a freshman in: FG%, PPG , RPG, & Blocks.). AE's tournament against Iowa as a freshman was her most significant game in a UCONN uniform. Part of the fall in AE's numbers can be attributed to the arrival of Dorka. Dorka is still on the roster and with the arrival of Ayanna and Ice I disagree that @JoePgh that this arrival (Ice especially) is a good thing for AE.
If I had to bet on a player to achieve a Tuck or Collier level of performance from among the 4 players I would bet on Ice Brady first, Patterson 2nd, Dorka 3rd and unfortunately AE last. An area of concern for AE remains her high turnover numbers, she was the team leader in that category last season. When you combine high turnover with her infrequent 3PT FG attempts ( 5 total in two season) and an inexplicable drop off in FG% ( down from 69% to 52%) I just don't think AE can become the inside/outside player that Tuck or Collier definitely were, or that Ice has the ability to become and to a lesser extent Dorka is trying to be right now. Tuck and Collier were truly triple threats: They could beat you from deep if you sag off, they could beat you with the bounce to the basket if you overplayed and they would torture you in the paint with moves and courter moves. Everything I see in Ice's tool kit I would grade higher that what I've seen in AE's toolkit and that would include the physicality because ice is more purposeful and controlled in the use of her body. I'm not giving up AE, quite happy she is on the team but I think the next step she should be striving for is to become an All-conference performer not trying to be a Tuck or Collier.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
You could regard the lack of discussion of Aaliyah as a good sign in that folks aren’t worried about her. Many posts on the BY are from worriers.

I think another reason she hasn’t been discussed much is the plethora of options in the front court. There’s little margin for error in the guard corps, while there are many options up front.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You could regard the lack of discussion of Aaliyah as a good sign in that folks aren’t worried about her. Many posts on the BY are from worriers.

I think another reason she hasn’t been discussed much is the plethora of options in the front court. There’s little margin for error in the guard corps, while there are many options up front.
I think the way she played in the Summer International Tournament this year gives us alot of confidence she won't have a hangover like last year out of the gate.

Reaction Score

And, of course, Aaliyah was the MVP at the international Toronto WBB tournament this summer!
Go Aaliyah.!! Aaliyah, those were was very nice rebounds and blocked shots!! Truly a
team leader and inspiration to Team Canada! ( see the highlights reels!!)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One of the things I’m looking forward to this season is seeing how much Aubrey has recovered. I am hopeful that she will meaningfully contribute this year.
Me too. She was in the pick-up game when Paige got hurt. I take that as a good sign.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One person’s “stiff competition” is another’s “has progressed enough to give Caroline a blow so that she doesn’t need to play 35 minutes a game.”
Well, and I know I seem to be picking on Aubrey, but I don't think we do our young women any favors by inflating their performance levels, particularly one who played injured and has not played at all for many months. There is no empirical evidence that Aubrey's game has advanced. Love to see her rewarded for her work and her courage. What we have now is hope.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
And, of course, Aaliyah was the MVP at the international Toronto WBB tournament this summer!
Go Aaliyah.!! Aaliyah, those were was very nice rebounds and blocked shots!! Truly a
team leader and inspiration to Team Canada! ( see the highlights reels!!)
I did not know this about Edwards. It is really good news to know.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I expect Edward to build on her performance during the 2nd half of last season. There was discussion during one of the NCAA tournament games that Edwards started last season out of shape and how she worked hard on fitness and changing her diet during the season. We saw a gradual improvement in her performance -- double digit scoring in 8 of the team's final 18 games. Her rebounding improved as well. Overall she averaged 7.9 ppg and shot 52% from the floor while playing 25 mpg. It's not unreasonable to expect her to reach 10 ppg in the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
A lot has been said about Edwards alleged "regression" last year. Instead of reading the stats, watch the first half of the Indiana game. Watch ONO and Edwards and decide who you would rather have on the team this year if you could choose.
Edwards and Dolson, though different players, have a few relevant parallels. Both got into the starting rotation as freshmen, in part because there were no viable alternatives. That almost guaranteed freshman and sophomore mistakes that got them pulled from games (mostly for foul trouble) (and gave BY posters a lot to talk about. (less so for Edwards IMO) They both also made large contributions during their 1st 2 years. That's what you get when you play talented but inexperienced freshmen. The game slowed down for Dolson as a junior. Her fouling went down and her offensive efficiency improved. She learned to hit from around the key. Edwards and Dolson have different skill sets but I don't think it's a stretch to expect similar improvements in her game. Often the game slows down for upper classmen and that would reduce Edwards' silly fouls like it did for Dolson. I also think that the 2 freshmen and DeBerry offer hope that Edwards and Juhasz can stay fresh all game/season.

Of course, those errors don't really disappear, they just transfer over to the freshmen. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO it's impossible to forget about Thor. Strongest player on the team and potential to be a beast in the post.

I'm not sure I understand the questions about "forgetting" about player A, or "arguing" about the importance of player B, etc.

I do get the debates over PT, roles, who will excel, who will falter, and certainly that all makes for good debate. But a short while ago, Paige went down with a season ending injury. So a TON of focus, rightfully so, was on the guards. Then we went out and landed Ines, a much needed support piece for our guard contingent.

Earlier in the summer we landed Lou. We have read some recent news about Griffin playing and getting close to 100% healthy. That will dominate the conversation for a bit. We have 2 new freshmen, one of which is a physical SPECIMEN and working out like a super hero, the other played super well for Team USA and joined the team recently. Aaliyah had a great summer tourney and that was discussed.

All those topics are big. They get bandwidth. To title a post "have we forgotten about ___" smacks a bit of "click-bait" - something we dislike when other bloggers or journalists do it. Very soon we will have posts about "have we forgotten Griffin and Juhaz" - both coming back from injuries, not a lot of "posts" about just them.

We had a thread on forgetting about Amari. And now one on forgetting about Aaliyah.

I guess my point is that discussing fans "forgetting" players seems to have a negative connotation, and for me personally, there is not a single player who has not been in my thoughts and prayers this summer as we prepare for this coming season. There is not a player on this team who is "out of sight and out of mind"... Just my $.02 ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
. . . We have 2 new freshmen, one of which is a physical SPECIMEN and working out like a super hero, the other played super well for Team USA and joined the team recently.
I’d argue that Ice is a physical specimen, too. Have you seen the legs and shoulders on her? I can’t wait to see her, and I hope she plays more low post than further out.

Reaction Score
No reason for so many lengthy positive comments regarding Aaliyah - believe 99% of the Boneyard are thrilled to have her on the team. Players lead in multiple ways and while I value verbal cheer leaders, seeing outstanding offense, rebounding and defense, particulary in one package against the many competitive bigs out there, gets me excited.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom