Have our OOC opponents come up small or what.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Have our OOC opponents come up small or what....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Schedule perennial powers.

Like North Carolina? Go back a few years. Kentucky schedules Louisville and that's it. Indiana was #1 last year but this year they are down. UNC has been down a while. Only Michigan St and Duke qualify as perennial powers. UConn has played Michigan St. Go back a couple years and you'll see UConn with better OOC than Kentucky. Not only that, UK had a weak SEC sched.

caw

Reaction Score
Like North Carolina? Go back a few years. Kentucky schedules Louisville and that's it. Indiana was #1 last year but this year they are down. UNC has been down a while. Only Michigan St and Duke qualify as perennial powers. UConn has played Michigan St. Go back a couple years and you'll see UConn with better OOC than Kentucky. Not only that, UK had a weak SEC sched.

Let's schedule UConn...ohh

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Schedules are made in advance. Indiana was ranked #1 just last year.
This, this, this.

I'm not sure the Tenspro et al. crows realize that schedules are made in advance and there is no crystal ball to see whether a team will be a powerhouse or a dud. If UConn had UNC on the schedule this year, the entire board would have been beyond ecstatic based on expectations and hype. Turns out UNC is having yet another down season.

On the flip side, I think everyone was very happy with scheduling Florida, but I'm pretty sure no one could have really appreciated just how good they would be. Turns out that win against them is currently one of the premiere wins of the entire college basketball season.

Reaction Score
This, this, this.

I'm not sure the Tenspro et al. crows realize that schedules are made in advance and there is no crystal ball to see whether a team will be a powerhouse or a dud. If UConn had UNC on the schedule this year, the entire board would have been beyond ecstatic based on expectations and hype. Turns out UNC is having yet another down season.

On the flip side, I think everyone was very happy with scheduling Florida, but I'm pretty sure no one could have really appreciated just how good they would be. Turns out that win against them is currently one of the premiere wins of the entire college basketball season.

And there's another side to this too. UConn isn't Kentucky. It's a good thing that over the years UConn has managed to play Texas, Indiana, Maryland, North Carolina, Michigan St., NC State, Florida, Stanford. I'm just not sure what people expect beyond that. Kentucky can pick and choose. UConn is getting the best of the best not named Kentucky and Duke.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This, this, this.

Exactly. Interestingly when this season's schedule was announced there was not one poster griping about it. The overwhelming consensus by everyone posting was that there was a significant upgrade in the OOC schedule compared to seasons past. People were thrilled by the upgrade and excited about the match ups.

There was no way of knowing that the majority of predicted good teams would have an off year. It happens. Those claiming that the fault lies with the UConn AD and poor scheduling are ignoring how potentially lethal this years schedule could have been. It just didn't pan out that way. On the flip side, the AAC was predicted to have 3 top 25 teams this season and not five. Point is there is no way to know in advance how things play out. Hindsight is always wonderful.

Regarding the OP by @Hi-Low, he's not putting blame on the schedule. He's pointing out the OOC didn't pan out as opposed to criticizing that the schedule was inadequate. Big difference.

Reaction Score
And there's another side to this too. UConn isn't Kentucky. It's a good thing that over the years UConn has managed to play Texas, Indiana, Maryland, North Carolina, Michigan St., NC State, Florida, Stanford. I'm just not sure what people expect beyond that. Kentucky can pick and choose. UConn is getting the best of the best not named Kentucky and Duke.
And, despite getting the best not named Duke and Kentucky, they've managed to play them OOC on neutral courts over the years (2009 vs. Duke, 2011 UK).

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Interesting from ESPN Bubble Watch:
"On Wednesday afternoon, one day before the start of the 2014 media mock selection, new men's basketball committee chair Ron Wellman sat down for the customary media teleconference. One question, about Wichita State's schedule strength, led to a particularly worthwhile answer. ...
"Oftentimes schools will develop a schedule thinking that it is a very strong schedule, only to have their opponents fall on their face," he said. "And the schedule isn't nearly as strong as what they thought it might be originally. Those are some of the factors that we look at beyond just the RPI. "
Bump up us a seed line because BC is terrible? OK.

Reaction Score
Interesting from ESPN Bubble Watch:
"On Wednesday afternoon, one day before the start of the 2014 media mock selection, new men's basketball committee chair Ron Wellman sat down for the customary media teleconference. One question, about Wichita State's schedule strength, led to a particularly worthwhile answer. ...
"Oftentimes schools will develop a schedule thinking that it is a very strong schedule, only to have their opponents fall on their face," he said. "And the schedule isn't nearly as strong as what they thought it might be originally. Those are some of the factors that we look at beyond just the RPI. "
Bump up us a seed line because BC is terrible? OK.

I can't tell if he means they're giving a team the benefit of the doubt for trying to develop a difficult schedule or if he means they're punishing teams for their opponents actually turning out to be terrible.

Reaction Score
I can't tell if he means they're giving a team the benefit of the doubt for trying to develop a difficult schedule or if he means they're punishing teams for their opponents actually turning out to be terrible.

It's really not that hard, only way you could possibly view it as the latter is if you try to always see the negative in something, and well...

Reaction Score
All you who expected IU to be something this year shouldn't have thought so...the team was decimated after Oladipo and Zeller left. It's not a deep team at all with almost no outside shooting. I saw this coming from the beginning of the season...but it's surprising how even IU fans have been slightly delusional (see /r/collegebasketball for instance).

Reaction Score
All you who expected IU to be something this year shouldn't have thought so...the team was decimated after Oladipo and Zeller left. It's not a deep team at all with almost no outside shooting. I saw this coming from the beginning of the season...but it's surprising how even IU fans have been slightly delusional (see /r/collegebasketball for instance).
Didn't expect great things from IU but I think most experts saw them as a Tourney team with Ferrell/Vonleh/Sheehey. Maybe our attempt at a really strong SOS considered, who knows....we still have a good SOS regardless & Harvard back in top 50...for now:cool:

It's all in front of UConn though with at least 4 top 50 games left on schedule and as many as 7 top 50 games left if we make AAC final. If we take care of business and win the majority of the games should be a top 5 seed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right on cue, Washington easily handled at home by Cal; Indiana getting blown out at Purdue. Maybe Maryland can shock the universe and show up against Duke later.

Good news: BC can't lose today, because they don't play.

In seriousness, I hope the Committee does actually give us the benefit of the doubt for trying to schedule a challenging OOC slate, even if the majority of those teams have badly underperformed our expectations.

Reaction Score
I knew the second I flipped and saw the Indiana score that someone would come to the board after a great win and whine that Indiana was getting blown out.

Hey, did you forget we played Florida out of conference? And won? They seem to have come up pretty big. They are ranked #3.

Indiana, Washington, and Maryland turned out to suck. Big deal. You can kindly move on and get over it anytime and realize we have 3 games remaining against #10, #14, and #23 ranked teams. Our RPI and SOS are moving upward and if we finish strong we are headed for a seed in the 4-5 range. Oh yeah we just beat the #20 for the second time too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32