Have an "Ice Holiday" from UConn | The Boneyard

Have an "Ice Holiday" from UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Awesome!!! Will send it to out of town family (including Alaska)!

Reaction Score
The video holiday message was sent by President Susan Herbst along with this note.

’Tis the season for Husky holiday spirit. UConn pride has a way of shining through wherever Huskies are gathered. For this year’s message of holiday cheer, our students got a little help from the top dog himself, Jonathan. Their seasonal work of art is a reminder of how just how special this place is to those of us lucky enough to call it our community.
With best wishes for a joyous holiday spent with those dearest to you,

President Susan Herbst

Reaction Score
Like the Husky chaps, never seen anything but orange before that.

Reaction Score
am I the only one that thinks the new logo doesn't match our mascot...
as I was watching, couldn't help but think there is big disconnect.
didn't hit me until watching that video.

Reaction Score
Marty Jackson said:
am I the only one that thinks the new logo doesn't match our mascot... as I was watching, couldn't help but think there is big disconnect. didn't hit me until watching that video.

Agreed. Two different characters.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
am I the only one that thinks the new logo doesn't match our mascot...
as I was watching, couldn't help but think there is big disconnect.
didn't hit me until watching that video.

It's the first thing that I thought of too. I'm glad that Nostical sent out the message from SH, which clearly shows that she acknowledges the existence of Jonathan (and his importance to us). I selfishly still hold out hope that the logo will be changed back to a more "Jonathan-like" mascot sooner rather than later...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Close, but the other way around, mascot to match logo. That will be a fun day on the BY....

So you believe our mascot Jonathan, who has over 70 years of tradition, should match the newly made Husky logo, which is less than 1 year old?

(why do I get the feeling your post was only made to draw me into a dumb argument...)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I thought it was terrific - I think I've gotten more 'outreach' emails from SH and UConn over the past year than I had over the five previous.

Definitely the best of the 'happy holidays' emails even if the video did inspire some you nitwits to start whining about stuffed animals again.

Say....how come some of you kids weren't on her mailing list to start with? That's the first thing I thought about, not the mascot.

Let's knock the dust off those checkbooks.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I thought it was terrific - I think I've gotten more 'outreach' emails from SH and UConn over the past year than I had over the five previous.

Definitely the best of the 'happy holidays' emails even if the video did inspire some you nitwits to start whining about stuffed animals again.

Say....how come some of you kids weren't on her mailing list to start with? That's the first thing I thought about, not the mascot.

Yeah, because all the hundreds that leave my checkbook for athletic events and UConn gear makes me a kid, and because my love for Jonathan's look makes me a nitwit. Sometimes, I think you need to see a psychiatrist...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
So you believe our mascot Jonathan, who has over 70 years of tradition, should match the newly made Husky logo, which is less than 1 year old?

(why do I get the feeling your post was only made to draw me into a dumb argument...)

Do remember though that the original Jonathan was mix colored, so one could make the argument that they are just going back to the original style

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Do remember though that the original Jonathan was mix colored, so one could make the argument that they are just going back to the original style
As long as they don't go back to the inflatable (secondary) mascot during the late 90's that used to dance on its head. OMG... that thing sucked. I wish I had a picture and it can't found on google.... anyone?

Last edited:

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

Herbst has been top notch in reaching out to alumni. I haven't felt this much a part of the school as since I was as student there. Kudos to Herbst.

But I can't be all rainbows and sunshine over here -- she (her office) should have proofread her message better.
upload_2013-12-4_12-34-35.png

Reaction Score
No, not what I believe... just what's gonna happen. Trust me, I'm not interested in another logo debate, I think that's been covered enough around these parts.

Do you know the timing on that change? I know the basketball team will be getting completely new uniforms next year so would it coincide with that change? Any idea if the football team's uniform will be changing again too?

Reaction Score
Do you know the timing on that change? I know the basketball team will be getting completely new uniforms next year so would it coincide with that change? Any idea if the football team's uniform will be changing again too?
What difference does it make to you? You have a husky that represents the new logo as your avatar. This is going to suck. So long white-furred Jonathan.

We must revolt against the new design. The white-furred husky IS our identity.

Reaction Score
What difference does it make to you? You have a husky that represents the new logo as your avatar. This is going to suck. So long white-furred Jonathan.

We must revolt against the new design. The white-furred husky IS our identity.

Really? How is there anything wrong with being curious about what's going on with the school and athletic department? Maybe I'm in the market for a new jersey and don't want to buy now if next year's will be completely different (which for basketball, it will be). Or maybe I just want to know how much longer I get to enjoy the all white mascot. What difference does it make to you?

And as for a revolt? Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
And as for a revolt? Good luck with that.
That's the sad part. Oh well. This is still going to suck. What a beautiful identity that was. The white Jonathan is going to be as much a part of Connecticut sports lore as the Hartford Whalers logo. We still haven't forgotten the Whalers.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The first dog was black and white - the rest were white. The rest were white.
Herbst has been top notch in reaching out to alumni. I haven't felt this much a part of the school as since I was as student there. Kudos to Herbst.

But I can't be all rainbows and sunshine over here -- she (her office) should have proofread her message better.

You're right and you're right.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No no our identity is the one carrying the musket. Wait no it's the one from the 50s that looks like it's constipated. Guys back then were probably pissed when we went to the ol facelicker Jonathan! These things change over time and I'm ok with that.

As a bonus I scored some great Nike shorts with the block C on them for half off at the co-op on Monday night. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom