OT: - Hats off to Tom Brady | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: Hats off to Tom Brady

Reaction Score
And to me Brady’s 7 is not more impressive than Russell’s 11 so yeah it is apples and oranges
Russell's 11 is only one more than the next closest teammate and that equates to 10%. There are also a handful of other Celtics with eight championships. Also, the NBA had 10 teams during Russell's era and the NFL currently has 32 teams making it much more difficult. Brady's seven is 40% more than the next closest player in the NFL and none of Brady's teammates have more than four.

Having said that, Russell was an incredible winner, with 2 more NCAA Championships and an Olympic Gold as well. Brady is in great company to be in the conversation with Russell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He played his entire career for one of the most moribund franchises in sports. One dude, no matter how good, is not going to change the fortunes of a football team, especially one that's been as poorly run as the Detroit Lions.
Lions won 1 playoff game since the merger, that 1 win was 29 years ago.

Reaction Score
Russell's 11 is only one more than the next closest teammate and that equates to 10%. There are also a handful of other Celtics with eight championships. Also, the NBA had 10 teams during Russell's era and the NFL currently has 32 teams making it much more difficult. Brady's seven is 40% more than the next closest player in the NFL and none of Brady's teammates have more than four.

Having said that, Russell was an incredible winner, with 2 more NCAA Championships and an Olympic Gold as well. Brady is in great company to be in the conversation with Russell.
And Russell won 11 in 13 seasons, kind of silly to compare different sports.

Reaction Score
He played his entire career for one of the most moribund franchises in sports. One dude, no matter how good, is not going to change the fortunes of a football team, especially one that's been as poorly run as the Detroit Lions.
That's myopic. He had Matt Stafford as his QB who threw for 4,900 and 5,000 yds in a season and will go down as a really under appreciated statistical QB leader when he's done.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
And to me Brady’s 7 is not more impressive than Russell’s 11 so yeah it is apples and oranges
It has to be different. Brady’s competing against what 3 or 4 times the amount of teams? During the height of the sport. Different ball game.

Reaction Score
Why?
Apples and oranges as huskybass said because of different sports and all that. Brady is the best QB and player of all time in the NFL. To win championships in the NFL you need to be at least good in three phases of the game offense, defense and special teams. Brady didn’t play a lick of defense or any special teams to put him in a position to do what he does leading an offense. Not his fault, just the sport. In hoops Russell was playing offense and defense and could affect all parts of the game. Again, not his “fault” just the way the sport is. But that is why I think his 11 rings in 13 years is more impressive

Reaction Score
That's myopic. He had Matt Stafford as his QB who threw for 4,900 and 5,000 yds in a season and will go down as a really under appreciated statistical QB leader when he's done.

Matt Stafford has won a grand total of zero playoff games in his career. I don't think it's all that myopic. Good players languish on bad football teams. I'm not sure why you'd be diminishing Calvin Johnson and not the guy throwing him the ball who never won anything either.

Reaction Score
Matt Stafford has won a grand total of zero playoff games in his career. I don't think it's all that myopic. Good players languish on bad football teams. I'm not sure why you'd be diminishing Calvin Johnson and not the guy throwing him the ball who never won anything either.
Detroit has 1 playoff win in 50 years. Tell me how Stafford with no one around him takes the bullets there.

Reaction Score
Detroit has 1 playoff win in 50 years. Tell me how Calvin Johnson with no one around him takes the bullets there.

See?

I guess I'm just confused why a no-brainer HOF receiver like Calvin Johnson gets dinged but not the guy throwing him the ball. Stafford is the ultimate "good stats on a bad team" guy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a lifelong Giants fan I hate the Pats and him and I am glad we are the only thing standing between him and two more Super Bowl rings, but damn there is no denying his greatness.

Unreal that he is going to another SB—at home—in year one in Tampa.
Great performance by TB. MVP Todd Bowles

Reaction Score
Some of these Giants fans posing here don't speak for all of us. At this point to argue against Brady being the best ever is just being obnoxious. We beat him twice so why not hang our hats on that?

Giants fan here too, he's the GOAT QB no argument for Montana or anyone at all. I'm not sure why anyone would disagree with that. All I have is beating them twice but he's always in the mix for a title for years and years, it's amazing. And those who say 'lucky" well the great ones get lucky because they create the opportunities for luck to impact their lives, careers.

Mt Rushmore of athletes, no not close too many alike winners.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree with you on his pocket presence. Very efficient. Results speak for themselves. Not many defensive schemes he hasn't seen if he has the time to read and react.

My point was it is usually the O line giving him the time vs his foot speed/nimbleness.
He is very nimble in the pocket. Reminds me of Marino who used to play with a darn boot. Marino was similarly great moving around the pocket. Brady has been playing for 20 years behind many different linemen, most of them unwanted by other teams and unheralded. When he went to the Bucs, their fanbase thought he was going to get killed. Granted, I think the Bucs OL is more talented than any Brady has ever had before, but last year, they almost got Winston killed. It actually helps OL to know where their QB is going to be and it's almost impossible to block for a guy who ad libs.

Reaction Score
He is very nimble in the pocket. Reminds me of Marino who used to play with a darn boot. Marino was similarly great moving around the pocket. Brady has been playing for 20 years behind many different linemen, most of them unwanted by other teams and unheralded. When he went to the Bucs, their fanbase thought he was going to get killed. Granted, I think the Bucs OL is more talented than any Brady has ever had before, but last year, they almost got Winston killed. It actually helps OL to know where their QB is going to be and it's almost impossible to block for a guy who ad libs.
With few exceptions, Belichick would never overspend or typically use low draft picks for OL. There were exceptions but he seemed to pride himself in finding free agents/cuts/or mid round draft picks for his teams. Dante S also seemed to enjoy the challenge of coaching guys "up" and was excellent at it.

I have tons of respect for Tom's accomplishments and doing it his way. On paper during SB time/playoffs over the years, rarely did the Pats have the better athletes as a whole. They were winners ,well-prepared/ rarely outcoached. Despite their tremendous successes as a franchise. .I always thought of them as a blue collar/lunch pail kind of team.

Tom is a student of the game and is always well-prepared and precise. Sunday was a lot of fun to watch.

BTW.Agree with you on OL liking to know what QB is going to do: was a season ticket holder in Denver during the Elway years.. Another baseball player oriented QB like Patrick M with great athleticism.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Bucs QB coach was on McAfee's show this morning and he said ABrown got the whole play wrong. He was supposed to run in, pivot and go outside. He did the opposite. Brady just went with it.

Brady's line last year was just like KC's last night. 4 injuries. QBs with a bad Oline look bad. But you don't need an all-world OLine. Brady has had a mediocre OLine his whole career, with only one Pro Bowler (Mankins, who never played on a Super Bowl team).
You gotta respect the football iq on that play cause it seemed like honey badger was clued in on that lil out route which it was why he got so cooked at the top of the route.. and your absolutely right in ur 2nd point it’s all starts up front and that pats line his last year there was shaky and beat up all year especially at tackle

Reaction Score
It frustrates me. So many dumb football fans out there. My fellow Patriots fans are all concerned about the next QB, and upgrading the "weapons", better WR, TE etc. Sure, they need a guy to throw the ball. Between veterans and the draft, there are more of them than there are teams right now. QB is the most important position, but the caliber of play is now very high across the league.

What I'm concerned about are a pro-bowl C and LG that are free agents to be, mediocre left tackle play, and a DL that is the worst Patriots DL I've seen since before Parcells arrived. The LB Corps, aside from Hightower (assuming he comes back) and rookie Uche, is terrible.

So we get hot takes about trading everything for Watson, when we need a competent QB, maybe one WR with speed, and to put everything else into the front 7 and OL.
Yea I feel u man I’m a pats fan as well die hard to be exact and I’ve said all year our roster talent and skill position players gotta be bottom 5, and we STILL won 7 games and people in the thread are calling BBelichick a loser smh

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom