Hating Notre Dame | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hating Notre Dame

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I definitely deserved that. I grew up in South Bend, IN, a few blocks from the Notre Dame campus and learned to dislike everything associated with that university. As a lifetime Chicago Cubs fan, I decided to stick with the best, when I began watching basketball. I was a John Wooden and UCLA fan and now I am a Geno and UCONN fan. But I do love the way UCONN plays basketball and that is why I watch all their games. You may be correct that if UCONN stops playing beautiful basketball, I will stop watching them.

I grew up in West Lafayette, IN, and as a diehard Purdue fan there is NOTHING that could make me like ND. I'm also a life long Chicago Cubs fan and will admit to crying when they won it all 2016.

Reaction Score
The Jessica Shepard situation is almost exactly the same as the Chatrice White situation.

After some controversy, Illinois assistant coach Mike Divilbliss departed after the 14-15 season. White stuck it out for the 15-16 season and then decided to transfer. She was granted immediate eligibility at Florida State. Scandal played role in White's departure

After some controversy, Connie Yori departed Nebraska after the 15-16 season. Shepard stuck it out for the 16-17 season under the new coach and then decided to transfer. She was granted immediate eligibility at Notre Dame.

There is a clear precedent for the NCAA's decision on Shepard.

Notre Dame earned a #1 seed with 9 top-25 and 16 top-50 wins.
They would have never had the #1 seed without the HUGE NCAA gift of Shepard. Period. Makes me dislike them even more than before.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I don't see the connection.

I'd be inclined to agree with you. ;)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
They would have never had the #1 seed without the HUGE NCAA gift of Shepard. Period. Makes me dislike them even more than before.

You quoted my post but didn't engage with any of its content.

Please explain to me how Shepard's transfer is different from Chatrice White's transfer. It was not a "gift". It was the NCAA following established precedent.

Reaction Score
The Jessica Shepard situation is almost exactly the same as the Chatrice White situation.

After some controversy, Illinois assistant coach Mike Divilbliss departed after the 14-15 season. White stuck it out for the 15-16 season and then decided to transfer. She was granted immediate eligibility at Florida State. Scandal played role in White's departure

After some controversy, Connie Yori departed Nebraska after the 15-16 season. Shepard stuck it out for the 16-17 season under the new coach and then decided to transfer. She was granted immediate eligibility at Notre Dame.

They should only be allowed to play that first year right away.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

Please explain to me how Shepard's transfer is different from Chatrice White's transfer. It was not a "gift". It was the NCAA following established precedent.

I almost always give your posts a like, due to the thoughtful, reasoned, researched approach you take to any argument. How you maintain your good nature in the face of some pretty vehement anti ND sentiment (myself included) is amazing.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

I have no idea if this has any relevance but I believe that White had to write a letter to Illinois, I am guessing that it was to ask for "permission" to avoid the red shirt year. If it was, and Illinois okayed the request, then I would understand the waiver. If this was the case, did Shepard have Nebraska's ok?

Reaction Score
I definitely deserved that. I grew up in South Bend, IN, a few blocks from the Notre Dame campus and learned to dislike everything associated with that university. As a lifetime Chicago Cubs fan, I decided to stick with the best, when I began watching basketball. I was a John Wooden and UCLA fan and now I am a Geno and UCONN fan. But I do love the way UCONN plays basketball and that is why I watch all their games. You may be correct that if UCONN stops playing beautiful basketball, I will stop watching them.
Chicago Cubs fan! Now I understand the jumping on the band wagon of other teams,lol!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I have no idea if this has any relevance but I believe that White had to write a letter to Illinois, I am guessing that it was to ask for "permission" to avoid the red shirt year. If it was, and Illinois okayed the request, then I would understand the waiver. If this was the case, did Shepard have Nebraska's ok?

Yes, and from what I've heard Nebraska also okayed it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Yes, Nebraska cooperated with Notre Dame's waiver request.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, but:
1. Notre Dame gives cache to college sports. The richest sports tradition and fun to root for and against.
2. If Baylor got ND's seed and it goes chalk, UConn would be playing Baylor in the semis and MissState in the finals. I think UConn prefers it the way it is now.
3. And, much as I really hate to admit this, let's give Muffet credit: she did an awesome coaching job given what's happened to her team, and her team really came through as well. Who's ever had so many serious injuries?
So(1) , is that a place to hide away (cache) or a vile-tasting medication(cachet) ? You may be correct either way.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

Yes, and from what I've heard Nebraska also okayed it.

Yes, Nebraska cooperated with Notre Dame's waiver request.

Which begs the question, why should the prior school have a veto vote on a hardship waiver? It would only take an angry coach with an axe to grind to mess with a young athlete's career.

Shouldn't the NCAA have a clear cut definition of what constitutes a hardship to the student athlete and when a waiver can be applied?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

What do we call this precedent? The good soldier waiver? That's the hardship? The Notre Dame coaches didn't expect the waiver to be granted. It was a gift. Sounds like FSU's was a gift as well.

Seriously, how do you know what the waiver requests were about without actually reading what each player/school submitted and argued?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I like Louisville over Baylor in a head to close game. Who on Baylor is going to be able to control Durr ? Noone. People have to stop rating teams on how they played UConn. I still think Baylor is overrated , especially without Wallace.
NooneCharlie.jpg
Wisconsin-Oshkosh's starting guard Charlie Noone might be up to the task? I'm not convinced..........

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So you have a problem with Natalie Romero (from Nebraska to Washington), Chatrice White (from Illinois to FSU), Rylie Cascio Jensen (from Nebraska to South Dakota St) to name 3 players who all transferred from programs and were granted immediate eligibility to play or is it only because Shepard went to ND? The NCAA was not capricious in this decision. It has been detailed ad nauseam on this forum as to the reasons the players left their former programs and why they were granted immediate eligibility. These were unlike the Te'a Cooper situation from Tennessee to SC, which the NCAA rightfully denied.

I would suggest you do a little research to understand the situation as the waiver was logical and fair. It's okay if you want to dislike ND, just don't smear the conspiracy theory that the NCAA is complicit in your imaginations.

Reaction Score
I have it on good authority that Alexis Morris is the second coming of Odyssey Sims, so there are some that would take issue with that statement.
The statement that Alexis Morris is the next Odyssey Sims or My statement that they are not as good without Wallace.
Lets see.....Wallace AND Morris can not be worse than just Morris. QED.

Reaction Score
So you have a problem with Natalie Romero (from Nebraska to Washington), Chatrice White (from Illinois to FSU), Rylie Cascio Jensen (from Nebraska to South Dakota St) to name 3 players who all transferred from programs and were granted immediate eligibility to play or is it only because Shepard went to ND? The NCAA was not capricious in this decision. It has been detailed ad nauseam on this forum as to the reasons the players left their former programs and why they were granted immediate eligibility. These were unlike the Te'a Cooper situation from Tennessee to SC, which the NCAA rightfully denied.

I would suggest you do a little research to understand the situation as the waiver was logical and fair. It's okay if you want to dislike ND, just don't smear the conspiracy theory that the NCAA is complicit in your imaginations.[

Yawn....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
What do we call this precedent? The good soldier waiver? That's the hardship? The Notre Dame coaches didn't expect the waiver to be granted. It was a gift. Sounds like FSU's was a gift as well.

Seriously, how do you know what the waiver requests were about without actually reading what each player/school submitted and argued?

I guess I'm fine with people calling it a "gift" as long as they acknowledge that other programs have received the same "gift" before.

Yes, of course, we do not know what the waiver requests were about. From publicly available information, we know that there is at least a parallel between Shepard and White with regards to the coaching situation at the institution they departed. It is entirely possible that the coaching situations had nothing or little to do with the waiver being granted.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I guess I'm fine with people calling it a "gift" as long as they acknowledge that other programs have received the same "gift" before.

Yes, of course, we do not know what the waiver requests were about. From publicly available information, we know that there is at least a parallel between Shepard and White with regards to the coaching situation at the institution they departed. It is entirely possible that the coaching situations had nothing or little to do with the waiver being granted.
Ok, I guess Shepard's waiver was legit, but I still hate ND, always have, always will.

Reaction Score

I am convinced by your argument and apologize for calling Notre Dame a cheat over Jessica Shepard. I guess they deserve a break, after all the injuries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom