Hating Notre Dame | The Boneyard

Hating Notre Dame

Reaction Score
OK, hate is, admittedly, a very strong word, and I mean it, of course, only in the "sports rivalry" context, but the abundance of reasons to "hate" pretty much everything about them is inescapable. First and foremost among those, ironically, is not even through any fault of their own, but can be laid at the doorstep of the sports media. So smitten with the Notre Dame "legend" are sportswriters and commentators that the Irish, in every sport in which they participate, are inevitably ranked higher than warranted by their on-field or on-court performance. The NCAA Selection Committee has now fallen right in line, awarding them a #1 seed in the tournament ahead of Baylor, whose credentials are much stronger.

I know that my friends here will point to relative strength-of-schedule and the like, and to Kristy Wallace's injury, but I'm not buying it. No team that lets another put up 100 points on it in a 30+ point loss is a deserving #1 seed...period! I feel badly about their multiple injuries, just as I feel badly about Kristy's, but ND simply does not have a very intimidating team out there as a result. But the evidence of that will neither dissuade nor deter the committee or the writers, all of whom think the ghost of Knute Rockne still walks the halls in South Bend.

Add to that reality the fact that, irrespective of the overly-generous ranking that they consistently are awarded, their fans, the biggest whiners on the planet, inevitably complain that they were robbed, that, contrary to all evidence, they should have been ranked higher. And add to that the constant losers' refrain to which they resort when other teams prove the folly of their lofty rankings - "the refs screwed us!" - I dunno...just can't stand them or their unwarranted arrogance. Sorry...just me sounding off!!

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, but:
1. Notre Dame gives cache to college sports. The richest sports tradition and fun to root for and against.
2. If Baylor got ND's seed and it goes chalk, UConn would be playing Baylor in the semis and MissState in the finals. I think UConn prefers it the way it is now.
3. And, much as I really hate to admit this, let's give Muffet credit: she did an awesome coaching job given what's happened to her team, and her team really came through as well. Who's ever had so many serious injuries?

Reaction Score
Miss.St., Baylor and Louisville are all on the opposite side of the brackets. Great for UConn. N.D. got the #1 seed , but I'd be surprised to see them reach Columbus. I love Oregon to meet UConn in national semis.
I hope we play the Ducks, too. I think it would be the slightly easier out for us, and I'd enjoy watching this matchup. These are two really fun-to-watch teams. Both can put the ball through the hoop for days, but only one brings the defense necessary to make it to the Final Four.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, but:
1. Notre Dame gives cache to college sports. The richest sports tradition and fun to root for and against.
2. If Baylor got ND's seed and it goes chalk, UConn would be playing Baylor in the semis and MissState in the finals. I think UConn prefers it the way it is now.
3. And, much as I really hate to admit this, let's give Muffet credit: she did an awesome coaching job given what's happened to her team, and her team really came through as well. Who's ever had so many serious injuries?
Gotta agree with your points 1 and 2, even though I am a true ND hater, but if the NCAA hadn't for whatever (cash:rolleyes:) reasons allowed Shepard to play this season, their seeding would have been considerably lower and number 3 would have been moot. That they allowed her to play is another reason for our dislike of the Golden Domers...

Reaction Score
I hope we play the Ducks, too, because it would be a slightly easier out for us, and I'd really enjoy watching this matchup. These are two really fun-to-watch teams. Both can put the ball through the hoop, but only one brings the defense necessary to get to the Final Four.
Don't disregard the Ducks. They have great offensive players, size and athleticism. N.D. does not have the personnel to defend them. UConn does !

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The NCAA Selection Committee has now fallen right in line, awarding them a #1 seed in the tournament ahead of Baylor, whose credentials are much stronger.

How are Baylor's credentials much stronger than Notre Dame's? ND has 9 RPI Top-25 wins and 15 Top-50 wins. ND's best wins: #8 Florida State 2x (away and neutral), #9 Tennessee (home), #11 South Carolina (neutral).

Baylor has 4 Top-25 wins and 6 Top-50 wins. Baylor's best wins: #12 Texas 3x (home, away, and neutral) and #13 Stanford (home).

Now let's be real: Baylor is probably a better team. But they do not have better credentials. Notre Dame has a better body of work. The committee does not reward teams for what they might have done had they played a better schedule. People get hung up on losses. Year after year, it is clear that the committee puts more stock in the number of significant wins a team has than it does the number of losses a team has.

No team that lets another put up 100 points on it in a 30+ point loss is a deserving #1 seed...period

Which game is more relevant? Louisville's 100-67 win at home in January. Or Louisville's 74-72 win in March at a neutral site?

And add to that the constant losers' refrain to which they resort when other teams prove the folly of their lofty rankings - "the refs screwed us!" -

Let's not try to pretend that many folks here haven't spent years insisting that ND's Diggins-era wins over UConn were the result of referees falling for ND's "flopping". I pretty sure there is no fanbase that doesn't complain about the refs when things don't go their way.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Kind of tough to work up a good hatred for ND in the post Skylar Diggins years. Man, it seemed like she'd find a way to get it done with the game on line.

Don't really dislike Miss. St. either, but that could change if they take out us out two years in a row.

Now Tennessee... that's a dislike I can keep on simmer.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Glad to see the ND-UConn rivalry in full swing as we head into the NCAA Tournament. The whole issue of ND this year is definitely more "gray" than "black & white". Starting at the top-Shepard was granted immediate status from Nebraska due to a few mitigating cirmcumstances that were fairly assessed. Remember Yori was dismissed at Nebraska during the 2015-16 season and all players were allowed to transfer without restraints. Shepard chose to stay and give the new staff a chance. Last year after the season she spoke to the staff and they blessed her leaving. NCAA did the right thing in allowing her to play at ND, IMO. Muffet for all her "quirks" has regularly scheduled tough teams in her OOC, this year being no different and her SoS was superb and warrants consideration for #1. Kim for as good as we think BU is, schedules far too many games at home against weak competition. No Tenn, UConn this year, only UCLA on the road. This conspires against her as it should. She is a Hall of Fame coach so act like it and play tougher teams! Kudo's to Muffet for doing more with less this year regarding the injuries. That said, her roster is still littered with healthy All-Americans.
Last, I don't view the ND as the biggest whiners at all. Go to VolNation, Baylor Bears or South Carolina's board to hear/read that. All of our colleagues from these schools on this board are infinitely more rationale and logical than their brethren.
Quibbles on the tournament selection happen every year and it is good discussion that ultimately is played out on the court. Let the real games begin!

Reaction Score
Keep in mind this "not very intimidating team" was well on its way to beating UConn, on the road, and with a new roster full of ACL victims until they ran out of steam in the 4th quarter.

I agree that ND gave UConn its money's worth. I agree that ND's coach has done an amazing job given all of the problems the team has encountered. BUT as for running out of steam, I disagree. The Irish stopped making shots and ran, not out of steam, but into Z. That great comeback by our Huskies should not be denigrated. We earned it . . .

Reaction Score
Don't disregard the Ducks. They have great offensive players, size and athleticism. N.D. does not have the personnel to defend them. UConn does !

A Nurse (defense) vs. Ionescu (offense) matchup would be very compelling, perhaps one of the best 1:1 battles of the tournament. Kia may have something to prove after all the AA teams are chosen.

Reaction Score
Miss.St., Baylor and Louisville are all on the opposite side of the brackets. Great for UConn. N.D. got the #1 seed , but I'd be surprised to see them reach Columbus. I love Oregon to meet UConn in national semis.

Agreed. I do not see ND or Louisville making the semi's.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Glad to see the ND-UConn rivalry in full swing as we head into the NCAA Tournament. The whole issue of ND this year is definitely more "gray" than "black & white". Starting at the top-Shepard was granted immediate status from Nebraska due to a few mitigating cirmcumstances that were fairly assessed. Remember Yori was dismissed at Nebraska during the 2015-16 season and all players were allowed to transfer without restraints. Shepard chose to stay and give the new staff a chance. Last year after the season she spoke to the staff and they blessed her leaving. NCAA did the right thing in allowing her to play at ND, IMO. Muffet for all her "quirks" has regularly scheduled tough teams in her OOC, this year being no different and her SoS was superb and warrants consideration for #1. Kim for as good as we think BU is, schedules far too many games at home against weak competition. No Tenn, UConn this year, only UCLA on the road. This conspires against her as it should. She is a Hall of Fame coach so act like it and play tougher teams! Kudo's to Muffet for doing more with less this year regarding the injuries. That said, her roster is still littered with healthy All-Americans.
Last, I don't view the ND as the biggest whiners at all. Go to VolNation, Baylor Bears or South Carolina's board to hear/read that. All of our colleagues from these schools on this board are infinitely more rationale and logical than their brethren.
Quibbles on the tournament selection happen every year and it is good discussion that ultimately is played out on the court. Let the real games begin!

Let's not forget the political side of the NCAA and the brackets. Baylor should have been the #2 in the Spokane bracket, which I would have loved to have seen. The Spokane bracket will be a home game for Oregon, which will not help ND. A semi-final game of UConn and ND would be exciting, however, I don't see ND making it that far (hope they proved me wrong). UConn/Baylor would make a great Championship game, with UConn winning, of course. ND deserved the #1 ranking strictly for their schedule.

DefenseBB - you know a little about me.... Regarding the Non-Conf schedule for Baylor, Kim requested that UConn play at Baylor this year, however, UConn said no. UConn had to skip a year, so we go to Baylor next year. Also, Kim had the team scheduled in a tournament in New Orleans, which would have had them play 2 top 15 teams, but it was cancelled in late October! Also, Baylor got scheduled for the Big 12/SEC Challenge to play Kentucky in Waco since they played Tenn at Tenn the prior year. I believe Kim tried to have a little better non-conference this year, but it just didn't work out. I know they have UConn going to Waco, and Baylor is going to Stanford for next year. Baylor will also be traveling "away" for the Big 12/SEC Challenge, so I'm hoping for SC, Miss St, or A&M. I didn't think anyone thought West Virginia or OU would end up bad teams this year, which would have helped Baylor had they been better. I think you see a more difficult non-conf from Baylor next year. Too bad this year wasn't a good one....

Reaction Score
I think there was some prior gestation involved.

The Almighty works in mysterious ways. Her skills as a sports nut and Irish dancer were honed under the Golden Dome.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget the political side of the NCAA and the brackets. Baylor should have been the #2 in the Spokane bracket, which I would have loved to have seen. The Spokane bracket will be a home game for Oregon, which will not help ND. A semi-final game of UConn and ND would be exciting, however, I don't see ND making it that far (hope they proved me wrong). UConn/Baylor would make a great Championship game, with UConn winning, of course. ND deserved the #1 ranking strictly for their schedule.

DefenseBB - you know a little about me.... Regarding the Non-Conf schedule for Baylor, Kim requested that UConn play at Baylor this year, however, UConn said no. UConn had to skip a year, so we go to Baylor next year. Also, Kim had the team scheduled in a tournament in New Orleans, which would have had them play 2 top 15 teams, but it was cancelled in late October! Also, Baylor got scheduled for the Big 12/SEC Challenge to play Kentucky in Waco since they played Tenn at Tenn the prior year. I believe Kim tried to have a little better non-conference this year, but it just didn't work out. I know they have UConn going to Waco, and Baylor is going to Stanford for next year. Baylor will also be traveling "away" for the Big 12/SEC Challenge, so I'm hoping for SC, Miss St, or A&M. I didn't think anyone thought West Virginia or OU would end up bad teams this year, which would have helped Baylor had they been better. I think you see a more difficult non-conf from Baylor next year. Too bad this year wasn't a good one....
Your summary on the Baylor schedule is accurate. I believe the New Orleans tournament featured USF and another top 25 quality team. I don't know how the Big 12/SEC thing is scheduled, but I imagine we wanted a tougher match. Texas got Georgia, and Oklahoma State played Mississippi State. I'm not sure how the best Big 12 team got stuck with the 9th or so SEC team. Oh well. Kim won't admit this, but she probably didn't expect this team to be quite this good, and wanted to ease in the new group having lost 4 seniors. Next year will be a different story for sure.

If you listen to Kim's press conferences, she doesn't really care about seeding that much. She chooses the schedule based on the best way to develop her team. She's admitted that she gave up trying to figure out the NCAA standards for seeding. We will play who we play and have every reason to feel confident with our draw. Louisville is the weakest 1 seed, so it worked out anyway.

Reaction Score
I like what Notre Dame has done for women's basketball. I began watching women's basketball watching Maya Moore, but I changed to favor Notre Dame and Skylar Diggins and then Baylor with Odyssey Sims. I didn't change back to UCONN until Stewie arrived. I think that Muffet has done a great job this year. That said, I think that the Jessica Shepard deal was a real cheat and I don't like Mabrey. I think Notre Dame deserves the fourth #1 seed; Baylor has the same problem this year that Maryland did last year.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Your summary on the Baylor schedule is accurate. I believe the New Orleans tournament featured USF and another top 25 quality team. I don't know how the Big 12/SEC thing is scheduled, but I imagine we wanted a tougher match. Texas got Georgia, and Oklahoma State played Mississippi State. I'm not sure how the best Big 12 team got stuck with the 9th or so SEC team. Oh well. Kim won't admit this, but she probably didn't expect this team to be quite this good, and wanted to ease in the new group having lost 4 seniors. Next year will be a different story for sure.

If you listen to Kim's press conferences, she doesn't really care about seeding that much. She chooses the schedule based on the best way to develop her team. She's admitted that she gave up trying to figure out the NCAA standards for seeding. We will play who we play and have every reason to feel confident with our draw. Louisville is the weakest 1 seed, so it worked out anyway.

I believe the other top team going to the New Orleans tournament was Missouri. Although I think Baylor will do well, the Lexington bracket is tough. Baylor will have a sweet sixteen game against Tenn (more than likely) and if they win, a game against Louisville in what will be their home field.

I don't know how the Big12/SEC challenge is scheduled, but I do know they rotate home and away. Since Baylor played at home this year, they should be away next.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Kim can't give up on figuring the NCAA Committee out as their comments are very straight forward-just simply start playing top 100 teams instead of Grambling, Lamar, Coppin State, Central Arkansas and Missouri State. Mix in a few top 25 OOC teams and bam, you will be rewarded and your team will develop. Her coddling has absolutely cost her post-season success as she's only made 3 Final Fours in her career, which given the talent she's had is down right under-achieving.

I hate to say it but both Kim and Dawn have similar MO's on their whining stances-it's always something. Dawn at least plays a good OOC. Kim would do herself a favor and gain some more respect if she took a stronger stance as a true leader of WCBB with her 2 titles, tied for second most on the list and played other top teams-it didn't hurt ND losing this year, why would it hurt Baylor?

Reaction Score
agree on the pecking order of the true whiners with Mulkey and Staley leading the pack. If ND doesn't make it this year you have to think they're the prohibitive #1 team going into next year, (even though the polls will say UCONN) what with everyone back (save Westbeld) and Turner coming back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom