Hatchell on the verge of 1,000 career wins. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hatchell on the verge of 1,000 career wins.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
USC and UNC used to play almost every year in Myrtle Beach, but once we started beating them regularly, only crickets remain.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
USC and UNC used to play almost every year in Myrtle Beach, but once we started beating them regularly, only crickets remain.

When I learned that Hatchell refused to play UConn in Storrs in the January 1995 game that eventually became the first UConn-Tennessee matchup — she told ESPN she would only play the game if it were in Chapel Hill — I really lost a lot of respect for Hatchell.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That was really a golden year for ACC women's BB. Duke and North Carolina had been the twin powers for years, but then Maryland came on very strong and ended up winning the whole thing. If I remember correctly, those three teams were 1, 2, and 4 in the AP poll by the end of the season. The ACC hasn't come anywhere close to that since, even after realignment.

Well in 2007........ the final AP Poll before the tournament... Duke was 1, UNC was 2, and Maryland was 6. Duke was undefeated going into the ACC tournament, but NC State lead by Kay Yow pulled off the upset in the semis. Those three teams spent the bulk of the season in the top 4.

That was an unusual year. All 3 of those teams were very good, and the traditional powerhouses of UConn and Tennessee had a bit of a down period.

I knew that was coming.......... :cool:

Reaction Score

I thought the series had stopped due to bad blood over Aja Wilson. Diamond's UNC team beat South Carolina in Myrtle Beach and NCAAT Sweet 16. The next season the two teams didn't play in Myrtle Beach and South Carolina won the Sweet 16 rematch.

I have never been a fan playing a cupcake schedule in general. I understand scaling a schedule back if you have a young team but IMO it's hard to gauge how good your team is if you don't play a decent non conference team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well in 2007... the final AP Poll before the tournament... Duke was 1, UNC was 2, and Maryland was 6. Duke was undefeated going into the ACC tournament, but NC State lead by Kay Yow pulled off the upset in the semis. Those three teams spent the bulk of the season in the top 4.

I really didn't pay close attention that season. So Duke went undefeated the entire regular season? And then lost to NC State in the ACC tournament and then to Rutgers in the NCAAs?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I really didn't pay close attention that season. So Duke went undefeated the entire regular season? And then lost to NC State in the ACC tournament and then to Rutgers in the NCAAs?

Yep..... I attended two Duke games that season. Guess which ones :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yep..... I attended two Duke games that season. Guess which ones :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
Sad. And did you have any idea at the time that it would be the end of Coach G's Duke career.

Reaction Score
Right!!! Grambling has a snowball's chance in H$&@ of winning that game. They (NC) might as well start celebrating now. :p

I understand UNC has scheduled "a multibillion-dollar fundraising campaign. and campus events" on Tuesday in celebration of Hatchell's 1000th win. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I thought the series had stopped due to bad blood over Aja Wilson. Diamond's UNC team beat South Carolina in Myrtle Beach and NCAAT Sweet 16. The next season the two teams didn't play in Myrtle Beach and South Carolina won the Sweet 16 rematch.

I have never been a fan playing a cupcake schedule in general. I understand scaling a schedule back if you have a young team but IMO it's hard to gauge how good your team is if you don't play a decent non conference team.

I would think OOC schedules are made 2-3 (maybe more) years in advance, how would a coach know when to scale a schedule back...for that matter would coaches know they will have a young team in 2-3 years down the road?

Plebe

Reaction Score
I had a bad feeling in my stomach :oops:
Oh man. I went back and looked up the old news story. Lindsey Harding, 2 missed free throws with 0.1 on the clock :(

That type of ending gives my stomach a bad feeling too, even when I have no rooting interest in the game.

Reaction Score
Geno will not be the only WCBB coach going for win # 1,000 tomorrow. On Tuesday, North Carolina head coach Sylvia Hatchell and the Tar Heels face off against Grambling in what could be Hatchell's 1,000th career victory.

View attachment 27014

[Story]

What's a hatchell? Is that a new cupcake flavor?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would think OOC schedules are made 2-3 (maybe more) years in advance, how would a coach know when to scale a schedule back...for that matter would coaches know they will have a young team in 2-3 years down the road?
Basketball is a little different than football. There’s always some turnover in a team’s OOC schedule each year, and enough teams looking for a game that a team can make a change to schedule a few tougher teams if it so desires.

This past year UConn added MI St in the PK80 game, swapped tOSU for Stanford to open the season, added ranked Cal & UCLA, along with OK, and Nevada & Duquesne for Gabby & Kia’s Homecoming games respectively.

A high profile program like UNC would have no problem toughening up their OOC schedule if they wanted to. Clearly, their is no desire in Chapel Hill for the WBB program to play tougher competition.

Reaction Score
th
So many opportunities to behave badly; so little time.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
That's the thing, she's doing it by playing the 'little sisters of the poor' this year. Still, a record is a record and she's had a great overall coaching career.
So, should we not count UCONN wins over Houston and SMU?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
UNC only up 5 at half 44-39 over Grambling. Cool if she blows it so Geno gets to 1000 first and we dont need to share the headlines. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UNC only up 5 at half 44-39 over Grambling. Cool if she blows it so Geno gets to 1000 first and we dont need to share the headlines. :D
So what happens if the cupcake eats you? :eek:

Plebe

Reaction Score
And it's official: Sylvia Hatchell joins Pat Summitt and Tara VanDerveer in the 1000-win club. Her team pulled away from Grambling in the 2nd half.

Congratulations to Ms. Hatchell and to Tar Heel Nation.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, should we not count UCONN wins over Houston and SMU?
Nope. But there is a big difference in the way Geno and UConn approaches non-conference games and the way UNC does. I guess the ACC has some traditionally tough teams to play (Duke and 'Cuse are probably the toughest) but I doubt Geno would switch to all cupcakes if we were playing in the ACC.

Regardless, as I already noted above, Hatchell can schedule whomever she wants. The wins count the same for the purposes of this record.

Reaction Score
Nope. But there is a big difference in the way Geno and UConn approaches non-conference games and the way UNC does. I guess the ACC has some traditionally tough teams to play (Duke and 'Cuse are probably the toughest) but I doubt Geno would switch to all cupcakes if we were playing in the ACC.

Regardless, as I already noted above, Hatchell can schedule whomever she wants. The wins count the same for the purposes of this record.
Don’t forget ND and Louisville are in the ACC too

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom