Hatchell on the verge of 1,000 career wins. | The Boneyard

Hatchell on the verge of 1,000 career wins.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno will not be the only WCBB coach going for win # 1,000 tomorrow. On Tuesday, North Carolina head coach Sylvia Hatchell and the Tar Heels face off against Grambling in what could be Hatchell's 1,000th career victory.

upload_2017-12-18_4-25-28.jpeg

[Story]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Geno will not be the only WCBB coach going for win # 1,000 tomorrow. On Tuesday, North Carolina head coach Sylvia Hatchell and the Tar Heels face off against Grambling in what could be Hatchell's 1,000th career victory.

View attachment 27014

[Story]
Two in one week would be nice.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s a noteworthy achievement when any coach achieves such a lofty number of wins and Hatchell should be congratulated once UNC dispatches Grambling. It would also be nice if the Tar Heels challenged themselves by playing an occasional ranked opponent instead of gorging themselves on a strict OOC diet of cupcakes.

Not too many years back, UNC WBB was a perennial national power that regularly played top ranked teams including UConn. Now it appears that the University has accepted mediocrity for a once proud program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Grambing 245 on Massey but fitting since NC is 62.
That's the thing, she's doing it by playing the 'little sisters of the poor' this year. Still, a record is a record and she's had a great overall coaching career.

Reaction Score
Quite an achievement to win 1000 of anything regardless of the competition. Not only that but she is a cancer survivor with an unbelievably positive attitude. Its ashame the program went through all that turmoil that caused all the transfers. Here's hoping she finishes her career deep into an NCAA tournament. She deserves it.

Reaction Score
Isn't the ACC one of the toughest conferences? I guess I just don't understand how a team can be knocked for not having a tough OCC when they are going to have tough conference schedule.

Reaction Score
Two in one week would be nice.
I don't think it'll be "nice". I think it will diminish Geno's 1000th win A BIT and there's no question that though she may be a very good coach, there's absolutely no comparison between them as to how much BETTER he is. Yet, some will have some sense that they're somehow COMPARABLE, which is ludicrous. Yet, what is the likelihood she won't beat Grambling? Who even knew Grambling had a women's basketball program?

Reaction Score
by playing the 'little sisters of the poor' this year. .

Correction: most years. This is not an unusual year.

Some speculated that the reason she made it to the hall of fame after some of her peers was that they had less respect for her gaudy record given the competition played.

Still, 1000 is 1000.

Reaction Score
Isn't the ACC one of the toughest conferences? I guess I just don't understand how a team can be knocked for not having a tough OCC when they are going to have tough conference schedule.
They have a pretty tough league now but that's only been in the past few years when they pouched the Big East and stole the elite teams of that conferencne. For many years, the ACC had mediocrity, at best.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But there are plenty of ACC teams that are playing tougher OOC schedules: Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke, Virginia, ...

Reaction Score
It's a pretty cool accomplishment. 1000 wins is 1000 wins no matter who they are against. I also thinks it's pretty cool that both could/should get #1000 on the same day.....doesn't diminish one thing for me.

Reaction Score
They have a pretty tough league now but that's only been in the past few years when they pouched the Big East and stole the elite teams of that conferencne. For many years, the ACC had mediocrity, at best.

You mean like 2006?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't think it'll be "nice". I think it will diminish Geno's 1000th win A BIT and there's no question that though she may be a very good coach, there's absolutely no comparison between them as to how much BETTER he is. Yet, some will have some sense that they're somehow COMPARABLE, which is ludicrous. Yet, what is the likelihood she won't beat Grambling? Who even knew Grambling had a women's basketball program?

Anyone who pays attention to WCBB on a whole knows that Grambling has a women's program.

Kinda like when the Big East poached Conference USA to get Louisville, South Florida, Depaul, Marquette, and Cincinnati??

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I was going to channel my inner Triaddukefan and start a new thread on the board titled "Sylvia Hatchell-Someone has to say it so..." it might as well be me. It's time to retire right after you beat Grambling! What she has done to her legacy (I regret to say that but so many do think she has one) as a "absentee coach" just continues to astonish. This year alone she (and the school) have been complicit in bamboozling the NCAA by scheduling 12 home games (1 neutral court game in Myrtle Beach) to up her record to 9-2 in the "pre-conference schedule" or what most of us call "the bakery run (more cupcakes and cream puff than Duff makes at Charm City). The fact she lost 2 games to Hampton and Univ of S.Alabama alone is sad especially since the first 12 were at home. Only the last game against UW was on a neutral court.
So yes, I am sort of peeved that Geno has to share his night with this "has been" cheat who has appeared to lost all credibility. Hopefully, the smart, knowing public and reporters give her the "golf clap" and move on. Something she desperately needs to do.

Ok, I feel better now. :rolleyes:

Here's their pathetic schedule-http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/153

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Grambing 245 on Massey but fitting since NC is 62.

Right!!! Grambling has a snowball's chance in H$&@ of winning that game. They (NC) might as well start celebrating now. :p

Reaction Score
i'm still trying to figure out how Hatchell gets to claim the 27 wins from UNC's 2013-2014 season, the year she stepped down from the program and HC duties to deal with her illness. The NCAA doesn't seem to mind, though.

Reaction Score
Geno did not have to share the stage tomorrow had he beaten MSST in last year's NCAA. So don't blame other people when he had to shared the stage with a cheater tomorrow.
I was going to channel my inner Triaddukefan and start a new thread on the board titled "Sylvia Hatchell-Someone has to say it so..." it might as well be me. It's time to retire right after you beat Grambling! What she has done to her legacy (I regret to say that but so many do think she has one) as a "absentee coach" just continues to astonish. This year alone she (and the school) have been complicit in bamboozling the NCAA by scheduling 12 home games (1 neutral court game in Myrtle Beach) to up her record to 9-2 in the "pre-conference schedule" or what most of us call "the bakery run (more cupcakes and cream puff than Duff makes at Charm City). The fact she lost 2 games to Hampton and Univ of S.Alabama alone is sad especially since the first 12 were at home. Only the last game against UW was on a neutral court.
So yes, I am sort of peeved that Geno has to share his night with this "has been" cheat who has appeared to lost all credibility. Hopefully, the smart, knowing public and reporters give her the "golf clap" and move on. Something she desperately needs to do.

Ok, I feel better now. :rolleyes:

Here's their pathetic schedule-http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/153

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You mean like 2006?
That was really a golden year for ACC women's BB. Duke and North Carolina had been the twin powers for years, but then Maryland came on very strong and ended up winning the whole thing. If I remember correctly, those three teams were 1, 2, and 4 in the AP poll by the end of the season. The ACC hasn't come anywhere close to that since, even after realignment.

Reaction Score
i'm still trying to figure out how Hatchell gets to claim the 27 wins from UNC's 2013-2014 season, the year she stepped down from the program and HC duties to deal with her illness. The NCAA doesn't seem to mind, though.

Hatchell didn't "claim" them. That's the NCAA rule.
She did not step away; she was still the head coach.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That was really a golden year for ACC women's BB. Duke and North Carolina had been the twin powers for years, but then Maryland came on very strong and ended up winning the whole thing. If I remember correctly, those three teams were 1, 2, and 4 in the AP poll by the end of the season. The ACC hasn't come anywhere close to that since, even after realignment.
That was an unusual year. All 3 of those teams were very good, and the traditional powerhouses of UConn and Tennessee had a bit of a down period.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom