Has Baylor's recruiting fallen off? | The Boneyard

Has Baylor's recruiting fallen off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i know they have Griner, Destiny Williams, Chandler, Hayden, Madden, Pope, Simms and Washington - all of who are sophomores or juniors, but they only got 1 very lightly regarded recruit as a freshman (understandable given the depth)...

But for 2012 so far, they have 3 kids, and none are in the top 40. Chardonae Fuqua (great name), is about 45, Higgens 56, and Brown is outside the top 100. i've not heard them linked to any of the top 20 recruits left in 2012... but ESPN does list #16 Alexis Prince as considering Baylor, among 5 or so other schools...

it would seem they will need to load up on 2013 kids who would be freshmen after Griner et al. graduate, but the only top 30 kid from Texas has already verbaled to Texas. i did read on their forum (not on scout either - something called "baylorbears.com") that they are also looking at Kuanishia Baker, #96, but that's all i could see.

they obviously can get kids outside of Texas, but i'd be a tad concerned with 4 recruits in the past 2 years, none in the top 40... and possibly needing to rely on kids making an impact as freshmen when the 2013 kids arrive. obviously they will still have Simms, Washington, and Robertson to go along with current freshman Agbuke, but add Fuqua, Higgens, and Brown and it's not exactly an intimidating core group...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Baylor already has a commitment from a 2014 point guard from Texas (Caldwell). She is ranked #8 by Hoopgurlz.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
i know they have Griner, Destiny Williams, Chandler, Hayden, Madden, Pope, Simms and Washington - all of who are sophomores or juniors, but they only got 1 very lightly regarded recruit as a freshman (understandable given the depth)...

But for 2012 so far, they have 3 kids, and none are in the top 40. Chardonae Fuqua (great name), is about 45, Higgens 56, and Brown is outside the top 100. i've not heard them linked to any of the top 20 recruits left in 2012... but ESPN does list #16 Alexis Prince as considering Baylor, among 5 or so other schools...

it would seem they will need to load up on 2013 kids who would be freshmen after Griner et al. graduate, but the only top 30 kid from Texas has already verbaled to Texas. i did read on their forum (not on scout either - something called "baylorbears.com") that they are also looking at Kuanishia Baker, #96, but that's all i could see.

they obviously can get kids outside of Texas, but i'd be a tad concerned with 4 recruits in the past 2 years, none in the top 40... and possibly needing to rely on kids making an impact as freshmen when the 2013 kids arrive. obviously they will still have Simms, Washington, and Robertson to go along with current freshman Agbuke, but add Fuqua, Higgens, and Brown and it's not exactly an intimidating core group...

FYI, eric, the first time a Fuqua emerges into prominance is as lead singer of the esteemed doo wop group, The Moonglows. Sadly, he had a much more pedestrian first name compared to Chardonae--Harvey.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FYI, eric, the first time a Fuqua emerges into prominance is as lead singer of the esteemed doo wop group, The Moonglows. Sadly, he had a much more pedestrian first name compared to Chardonae--Harvey.
HA! i did not know that.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Baylor already has a commitment from a 2014 point guard from Texas (Caldwell). She is ranked #8 by Hoopgurlz.
Good luck to them, knowing what early verbal commitments are worth.

Reaction Score

IIRC, Harvey Fuqua was married to one of Berry Gordy's sisters.

There was a football player named "Frenchy" Fuqua; played for either the Steelers or the Giants, IIRC.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
IIRC, Harvey Fuqua was married to one of Berry Gordy's sisters.

There was a football player named "Frenchy" Fuqua; played for either the Steelers or the Giants, IIRC.
That would be running back John "Frenchy" Fuqua who did play with the Steelers. He was drafted by the Giants in 1969 as a graduate of Morgan State. He played for the Steelers throughout the early 70s in the same backfield with Franco Harris. He was one flashy dude.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good luck to them, knowing what early verbal commitments are worth.
well it's true u never know how a kid that far out will develop (see Avant who was #1 or so when she was in 8th grade), but she seems to be a good player. i still go back to their recruiting for 2011 and 2012. one kid outside the top 100 for 2011 - understandable given the anaconda class including Griner are juniors this year. but next year they will be seniors and so far they have no one (yet) coming in who's inside the top 40.

so when 2013 comes in, Sims will be a senior and a team comprised of Simms, Mackenzie Robertson, Shanay Washington, Agbuke, Fuqua, Higgens and Brown has exactly 1 player over a 3 year period in the top 40 (Washington is a RS sophomore in Simms class and was #64 in her class. seems like they really may be relying on 2013 freshmen to make an impact and could see a starting lineup of Simms, Robertson, Washington, Fuqua, and Higgens.

i don't doubt they will be fine, and getting a top 10 guard from 2014 is great. but when you consider they currently have Pope, Chandler, Griner and Simms - all top 15 or so kids, it's odd that in 2 years they may well only have 1 top 40 kid.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
well it's true u never know how a kid that far out will develop (see Avant who was #1 or so when she was in 8th grade), but she seems to be a good player. i still go back to their recruiting for 2011 and 2012. one kid outside the top 100 for 2011 - understandable given the anaconda class including Griner are juniors this year. but next year they will be seniors and so far they have no one (yet) coming in who's inside the top 40.

so when 2013 comes in, Sims will be a senior and a team comprised of Simms, Mackenzie Robertson, Shanay Washington, Agbuke, Fuqua, Higgens and Brown has exactly 1 player over a 3 year period in the top 40 (Washington is a RS sophomore in Simms class and was #64 in her class. seems like they really may be relying on 2013 freshmen to make an impact and could see a starting lineup of Simms, Robertson, Washington, Fuqua, and Higgens.

i don't doubt they will be fine, and getting a top 10 guard from 2014 is great. but when you consider they currently have Pope, Chandler, Griner and Simms - all top 15 or so kids, it's odd that in 2 years they may well only have 1 top 40 kid.
It shows you how difficult it is to maintain a program. Unfortunately Baylor really doesn't have a whole lot going for it.... Storrs makes Waco look like Shangra La!

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
A friend of mine that now goes to UConn transferred here from Baylor. He said the schools are similar in that they are difficult to recruit for based on their respective campuses. He did say that there were a lot more things that you could walk to off campus at Baylor though.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
if they get a title (or 2) that will all change

Reaction Score
Frenchy Fuqua was involved with the 'immaculate reception' in a super bowl game of Pittsburgh versus Oakland. That's when Franco Harris grabbed the deflected ball almost off his shoe tops and ran it in for the winning score on the last play of the game.

Reaction Score
I thought Fuqua was the ruler of Duloc in the Shrek movies...

At the risk of inviting OSB's wrath, you're thinking of 'Farquaad.' Farquaad was also an habitué of the outer reaches of the Baylor campus.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
A friend of mine that now goes to UConn transferred here from Baylor. He said the schools are similar in that they are difficult to recruit for based on their respective campuses. He did say that there were a lot more things that you could walk to off campus at Baylor though.
This is true. There is absolutely nothing in Storrs. There are things in Waco. Boring things, but things.

Baylor's bread and butter is going to be recruiting Texas, and A&M's ascent has hurt them in that regard. UConn coming in and having a presence in Texas is also a huge problem for them. If you're relying on Texas talent (which was already being split multiple ways) and UConn comes in and scoops up a potential difference maker like Moriah Jefferson, what's your Plan B?

No one can offer what UConn can in women's ball. Yes, Storrs is a cow town in the middle of nowhere, but it's the only place where all your games will be televised, where you have the most visible face in WBB for a head coach, etc. If you're not UConn or Tennessee, you're selling a vision of a perennial power you're hoping you can build. Those are the only two programs who have actually done it.

A national title with Griner may help, but the 2005 title didn't result in consistent conference title and NC contention-type success for them.

Suffice it to say a lot of pressure is on Baylor to win it all this year. If they don't, the field will be tougher in 2013.

Reaction Score
What is this, Coach Mulkey's 12th season? Baylor is doing fine. They will be OK down the line.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
This is true. There is absolutely nothing in Storrs. There are things in Waco. Boring things, but things.

Baylor's bread and butter is going to be recruiting Texas, and A&M's ascent has hurt them in that regard. UConn coming in and having a presence in Texas is also a huge problem for them. If you're relying on Texas talent (which was already being split multiple ways) and UConn comes in and scoops up a potential difference maker like Moriah Jefferson, what's your Plan B?

No one can offer what UConn can in women's ball. Yes, Storrs is a cow town in the middle of nowhere, but it's the only place where all your games will be televised, where you have the most visible face in WBB for a head coach, etc. If you're not UConn or Tennessee, you're selling a vision of a perennial power you're hoping you can build. Those are the only two programs who have actually done it.

A national title with Griner may help, but the 2005 title didn't result in consistent conference title and NC contention-type success for them.

Suffice it to say a lot of pressure is on Baylor to win it all this year. If they don't, the field will be tougher in 2013.

I spent a week in Waco a few years back and it's not exactly a hot spot of cultural activity. Have never been in Storrs, but I do know one thing. It's a lot easier to get to Boston or New York from Storrs than it is from Waco.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Best recruitment tactic: We have Geno and they don't. And CD. I know it's OK not Baylor...but I often wonder what would have happened to the Paris twins if they had come to UCONN. They almost did, remember. The ways in which players transform for the better here, under the leadership of amazing coaches and their staff is superior to any other place.

Reaction Score
Once Griner graduates Baylor will be in a freefall! They need to find themselves a new power conference as all the top teams are leaving or about to leave.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I spent a week in Waco a few years back and it's not exactly a hot spot of cultural activity. Have never been in Storrs, but I do know one thing. It's a lot easier to get to Boston or New York from Storrs than it is from Waco.
There is that to be said for Storrs (I live 25 minutes from UConn's campus myself, and go to Boston frequently), though campus life and immediate community are important. I'm not sure how much travelling to NYC or Boston a student-athlete would be able/would want to do given the other demands on their time. But yes, Waco is not the most exciting place to spend four years.

Reaction Score
Best recruitment tactic: We have Geno and they don't. And CD. I know it's OK not Baylor...but I often wonder what would have happened to the Paris twins if they had come to UCONN. They almost did, remember. The ways in which players transform for the better here, under the leadership of amazing coaches and their staff is superior to any other place.

I thought we liked Sherri Coale here at the Boneyard.

One would suppose that Courtney Paris' college achievements did not impress you. I, for one, am quite impressed:
1. Four time All American
2. NCAA season and career record for rebounds
3. Season and career record for double doubles
4. NCAA record holder for consecutive double doubles in a season and in a career
5. Prior record holder for career games scoring double figures(Maya Moore broke the record in the first duke game last season)
6. Averaged 14.8 rebounds over her 4 year career at Oklahoma
7. 13th quickest to reach 1,000 points

If the Paris twins had come to UConn? They and UConn both made out quite well.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Best recruitment slogan, "Our Associate coach is better other head coaches so what do you think our head coach is like."

Reaction Score
Frenchy? Come on! We of all people should know that the first prominent Fuqua was Ivan, who won a gold medal running the 4x400 for the US in the 1932 LA Olympics and was the national 440 champ in '33 and '34. He coached track at Connecticut State College (which, of course, became UConn) for a few years. After the war, he became the track and cross-country coach at Brown until the early '70s. He (lightly) recruited me in what was, back in the '60s, the comically casual Ivy style (which happened also to be precisely appropriate to my talents), and I ran against his teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom