Has any coach done less with more than Bill Self? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has any coach done less with more than Bill Self?

Reaction Score
2 national championships changes national perception quite a bit. Roy Williams at KUhad better teams with players staying 3 years at least and didn’t win 1 national championship. You really can nitpick any coaches tourney resume. Self also got Tulsa to the elite 8.

Reaction Score
Hardly. Expectations aren’t the same for every coach.

I have no problem taking the L on this post, and the roasting that comes with it, but I just find it weird to put words in my mouth when there’s much lower hanging fruit.
I apologize for putting words in your mouth. Feel free to elaborate. If not a bad coach, you think he's a mediocre coach with more?

Coach K, widely regarded as the best coach in the modern era, who has had plenty of more, perhaps the most, had 23 seasons with a conference regular season and/or tournament title in 42 high major seasons.

Bill Self has 19 such titles in 22 high major seasons.

Reaction Score
He has a 4-7 record in the elite 8 in a little over 20 years, 2 championships, and a runner-up. Every single person on this board would sign up for a two-decade stretch like that for Hurley (especially considering he is already 4 complete seasons in @ UConn).

Last edited:

MJ1

Reaction Score
As coach Cooley stated, you need skilled players and also some luck to win it all. Kansas faced Creighton with 2 stars out, Nova without there best on ball defender and second leading scorer out and North Caroline with a less than 100% Bacot.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Imagine being a UConn fan and saying this. This is incredible.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
As coach Cooley stated, you need skilled players and also some luck to win it all. Kansas faced Creighton with 2 stars out, Nova without there best on ball defender and second leading scorer out and North Caroline with a less than 100% Bacot.
Wasn't McCormack playing injured?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Regardless of the outcome of this game, I'm not sure why you'd use "Seemingly perennial conference champs" as a way to say he's been a bad coach...
He did break the 14 year conference title streak 1n 2019 when TT won. Almost kicked him to the curb for that. Unforgiveable.

Reaction Score
The ironic thing about this KU championship is that it was done without any of the 5-star one-and-dones that Self/Adidas threw money at in an obvious violation of NCAA rules. Kansas tried to play the Duke and Kentucky game and got caught and then won a championship with a more traditional team of players that actually attend the university for more than a semester and a half.

Harris - 4-star 94 in class of 2019 (RS sophomere)
Braun - 3-star 130 in class of 2019 (junior)
Agbaji - 4 star 132 in class of 2018 (senior)
McCormack - 4 star 36 in class of 2018 (senior)
Wilson - 4-star 53 in class of 2019 ( RS sophomore)

Additionally, Lightfoot and Remy Martin are both grad student seniors

He obviously was not scraping the bottom of the barrel in recruiting, but he actually had years to coach and develop these players. He did get some 5-star players in this period with Grimes (transferred) and Devon Dotson (undrafted after sophomore season) and Bryce Thompson (transferred). There were no major contributors to the championship from the class of 2020 or 2021 recruiting. I have a decent amount of respect for Self's coaching ability, but the rampant and known cheating by him and his staff is still unpunished by the NCAA and is continually glossed over by the media.

Reaction Score
I would please like to make as little as Bill Self has with all of the more he has had. What does he have like 900 conference titles, 10 1-seeds, unlimited big time wins. Count me in to that little production.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom