Hartley, the miracle worker | The Boneyard

Hartley, the miracle worker

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice game for Bria. Keep it up!

But I reserve my Maya Moore POG Award for the player who outscored the entire opposition over a half, KML.

Reaction Score
Perchance thy gloat may echo through the mounts and dells. Yea even to the heathen.

Reaction Score
Nice game for Bria. Keep it up!

But I reserve my Maya Moore POG Award for the player who outscored the entire opposition over a half, KML.

Not when you include defense.

But Kalana, is..IMO..the best pure shooter to ever grace the Husky court.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
"What we need now is........ for Hartley to have a miraculous recovery."

Player of the game. 20 points, 5-7 on 3's. Great defense.

Michael, bow to King Grandpa.
please do not mention Michael... we want to enjoy this win

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What a great premonition, Doggy.
Absolutely delighted to be wrong.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What a great premonition, Doggy.
Absolutely delighted to be wrong.

No offense, but the "delighted to be wrong" is just BS to me.

It's wasn't a premonition. It's just basic basketball (even sports in general) that players go through slumps, sometimes caused by missed time due to injury, lose confidence and then suddenly find it. She was due to find it. It wasn't an accident that she was an AA in her sophomer season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I was doubtful it would play out like that.
Your position was correct.
Mine was not.
Hallelujah, team looked great.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Yes, it was great to see Bria Hartley break out of the slump today...going for 5 three pointers...and you can't talk about Bria's offensive performance without mentioning that awesome cross-over that led to her pull-up two point jumper...a thing of beauty. Glad for Bria...and not a game too soon...we definitely need her. I posted a break-down of how to make up for Brianna Banks' lost production in two other threads...my analysis was based on the players getting Brianna's minutes but not playing one iota better than they have played heretofore to date... I guess Bria all by herself blew my analysis out of the water as she definitely stepped it up beyond her past level of play this season. Go Bria..build on this...give Doug Bruno some agita on Sunday...lol

Reaction Score
Stef is doing her Lauren Jackson impersonation from the arc. Does Griner let her take those?

Stef increasing her range to the 3-point line was done with one thing in mind. Whether Griner lets her take the shot is immaterial. Her being outside the arc opens up driving lanes for everyone else.

Baylor will be the true test of whether Geno's high-low offense was genius or insanity.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stef increasing her range to the 3-point line was done with one thing in mind. Whether Griner lets her take the shot is immaterial. Her being outside the arc opens up driving lanes for everyone else.

Baylor will be the true test of whether Geno's high-low offense was genius or insanity.
Maybe so, but driving against Griner is futile. The only way to attack the basket against her in my view is to hit a cutter from the weak side at the last second.

If BG stays inside and Stef is hot and makes 6-7 jumpers, I like our chances. If Griner chases Stef outside, she gives up her defensive strength.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Stef increasing her range to the 3-point line was done with one thing in mind. Whether Griner lets her take the shot is immaterial. Her being outside the arc opens up driving lanes. Baylor will be the true test of whether Geno's high-low offense was genius or insanity.

I vote for both.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
IMO Keys to the game. We must keep out poise and not rush shots for fear of Griner blocking them. After watching Caroline and Bria explode last nite and knowing Kelly is shooting so well, if we maintain or are close to that shooting no team can beat us. Watching Stef this season and looking back on past UConn post players well there just isnt a better coaching staff for bigs then UConn. In fact there isnt a better coaching staff for any position.

On Bria. She is driven to be the best. SHe has been working hard on getting back to where she was. I hope last nite wasnt just a one nite wonder, as far as her shooting goes. I hope shes back. One thing is for sure, she now knows what once was is still there, has resurfaced and its still there. Im not looking at Saturday to be a repeat of last nite, Im looking for Saturday to see if the signs are still there and that will tell me shes on her way back. Mentally she knows its there and thats whats important. Still we must be patient as she pulls out of her slump. She will be fine and last nite looked terrific without the ball and unbeleivable with the ball.

Ive read alot of posts that ask the question why are freshman on other teams so good and the freshman at UConn arent performing as well. Well at UConn the coaching staff, breaks them down and rebuilds them. Getting rid of their bad habits and instilling the correct habits. If you wonder just look at Kelly BB and some of the past players...how bout Stef. Freshman on some other teams come in and are never developed, UConn freshman go through growing pains, as they learn the right way to play and correct fundementals. If you look at the development of players on other teams there is in most cases no comparison looking at their freshman year to their senior year and then looking at UConn freshmans year to their senior year. JMO

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Well not exactly. Some truth in there though. Dolson is shooting from outside, or not in the block all the time, because 1) she can. It's part of her development as a player that can be used in her WNBA/USA career along with here at UCONN. 2) It opens up the floor for back cuts, hi-low portion of the motion offense (it is not a separate offense as some people seem to think). 3) Yes it will help against teams with a good center (Griner), by either pulling her away from the basket or letting Dolson shoot 18 ftrs all day, but I doubt they are running it "specifically" for Griner. 4) by having her out there, it allows picks for the 3 pt shooters to work with, pick and roll plays with Dolson, picks to get the guards drives to the basket (turn the corner like plays).

Geno's hi-low portion of the motion offense is neither genius or insanity but rather an extension of what a motion offense can do with the proper personnel. Which Geno did not have last year. With Stewart and KML (and Faris to a degree - depends on who is guarding her), Dolson has someone to run the hi-low with. Didn't have that last year. Hopefully next year, if Stokes progresses, she will be able to run this also.

In the future, I can see Stewart being the "hi" part of the hi-low portion of the motion offense (with Stokes as the low). She has the ability to shoot from out, and drive. Still not sure of her passing as yet though. Hopefully that will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom