Hartley - First Team AA? | The Boneyard

Hartley - First Team AA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Is there any0ne who thinks that Hartley does not deserve to be a first-teamer? I don't think there is a better PG in the country. Hartley, Sims and Diggins are the cream of the crop. I am partial to Sims, of course, but in no way would I be surprised or upset to see Hartley as a first-team AA. I do believe that she is better than Diggins.

Reaction Score
If Bria could cut down on TOs she'd be in the conversation. Until then she is not in Diggins or Sims's league.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sims has 45 TOs in 15 games this year to Hartley's 40 in 14 games. Those are pretty comparable TO stats.

Maybe the bigger difference is in the assist and steals. Sims has 88 assists to Hartley's 51. However, Sims has BG to throw the ball up to. I guess assists come a lot easier due to that fact. But a stat is still a stat in the eyes of most voters, regardless of the reason. Sims also has 61 steals, to 21 for Hartley.

I'll have to do some research on Diggins' stats, but Sims defense may be the big difference for her.

Reaction Score
Sims has 45 TOs in 15 games this year to Hartley's 40 in 14 games. Those are pretty comparable TO stats.

Opponent and pace of play account for some of that too. Defining factor is who's team has won.

Reaction Score
Yea, it's not like Sims has the best player in the country that might have helped her out in that game...

That said, I think Diggins is most deserving out of the three this year. And probably slightly better than both of them. (That could change..it might even change by the time Uconn plays ND again.)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Diggins through 16 games
TO = 39
Assists = 89
Steals = 43

Hartley also leads both in rebounding stats. They all have areas where they outperform the other. All three have similar scoring stats, with about one point per game separating them.

Reaction Score
Look at all of their stats. Click on thumbnail below:
Untitled.png
You will note although Hartley has few TOs, her A/TO ratio is by far the worst.
Hartley - 1.28
Sims - ....1.96
Diggins - 2.28
The other two excel at getting to the foul line.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The one thing Bria does better is control the offense and plays good defense. Shes a team leader on the floor and makes plays. Shes the best point guard out of the 3 right now.

Reaction Score
The one thing Bria does better is control the offense and plays good defense. Shes a team leader on the floor and makes plays. Shes the best point guard out of the 3 right now.
Why is Doty on the floor? What position is she playing?

Reaction Score
Her fault or not, Doty doesn't really do anything against the better teams. She seems to be playing more SG as of late against the poorer teams, anyway.

Reaction Score
I believe Bria Hartley is among the ten best players in WCBB, thus worthy of WBCA First Team All American status.

Reaction Score
Wow! I knew Hartley was good. but the CBS announcers (who probably have not seen her before) have convinced everyone how good Bria is. I thought I heard Murphy say that she is "right up there with Griner for player of the year."

Reaction Score
All 3 (Diggins, Sims and Hartley) are great players. I prefer Bria to the other 2 but I'm not objective :) I think that Bria will be a 2nd team AA (if each team is 5 players) as Sims is the PG on the best team in the country and Diggins is well known (for reasons that got little to do with basketball) so they'll be the guards on the first team AA. Next year I believe that Bria will be even better and find her rightful place on the first team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There are also these figures from Maggie Lucas who had 33 (28 in the second half) in losing cause to MSU on Sunday.

V |---TOTAL---|. |---3-PTS---|
## Player GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
33 Lucas, Maggie...... 15-15 511 34.1 94-216 .435 40-102 .392 72-85 .847

|----REBOUNDS----|
Off Def Tot Avg. PF FO A TO Blk Stl. Pts Avg

18 52 70 4.7 28 0 39 40 2 17 300 20.0

Reaction Score
All 3 (Diggins, Sims and Hartley) are great players. I prefer Bria to the other 2 but I'm not objective :) I think that Bria will be a 2nd team AA (if each team is 5 players) as Sims is the PG on the best team in the country and Diggins is well known (for reasons that got little to do with basketball) so they'll be the guards on the first team AA. Next year I believe that Bria will be even better and find her rightful place on the first team.

Let us not entertain the notion that Skylar Diggins is an All American based solely on popularity. She is a darn good basketball. On performance alone, Ms Diggins is quite deserving.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I think we have a lot of games left yet to play. Conference, OOC, conference tournament, NCAA tournament. All three of these ladies are excellent players and they are, not coincidentally, on the top three ranked teams.

If I were either a betting man (I am not) or if I had to choose now with a gun to my head (God forbid!), I would project Bria to second string AA this year, first string next year.

For various reasons (e.g., youth and inexperience are her principal teammates) I think Bria is inclined to try to do too much on her own at times. At the same time, I love it that she is not only willing, but eager, to get the ball and take the shot(s) with the game on the line.

I have every reason to expect a replica of her jersey to some day (two years hence?) join those of Diana, Sue, Renee et al on the wall of honor in Gampel.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe Bria Hartley is among the ten best players in WCBB, thus worthy of WBCA First Team All American status.
If the balloting were done today, I think Bria would make it on the 10-player teams.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I think Diggins may be the best passer of the 3 (hard to tell with Sims since she has the best target of the 3 to throw to). They are all exceptional. I'm still putting Sims and Diggins ahead of Hartley, but it's much closer than I'd ever expected.

There are some great guards this year in WCBB: Lucas and Hill (OSU) in the Big 12, Striklen at UT, the Miami duo, Novosel, etc. etc.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If the balloting were done today, I think Bria would make it on the 10-player teams.

Without a doubt. Sims, Griner, the Older O sister, Diggins, Del Donne, Hartley, Thomas for MD, Johnson from Miami.... Glory Johnson, and the Prahalis girl from Ohio State. Thats the way I see it at this point of the season.... probably left out a few names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom