Hartford Restaurants & Stores? | The Boneyard

Hartford Restaurants & Stores?

Reaction Score
My wife, 2 year old son, & my newborn daughter are going to Hartford this weekend because my son & I are going to the Connecticut/Arizona game on Sunday morning. The reason I am posting is because I don’t know much about Hartford (live in Long Island, NY) & I am guessing there is a number of you who live in Connecticut, I was wondering if you guys knew of any good restaurants for families & or places for my wife & daughter to shop while my son & I are at the game?

Good Hartford Restaurants & Shopping?

Thanks guys!

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
If your looking for a really nice restaurant for just you and the wife, I would suggest Salute, but not really the kind of place you would bring your young kids to.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I agree that you will have to drop them off at a nearby mall (West Farms) or West Hartford Center (depending on weather) and return to dine with them at one of the restaurants nearby the shopping location.

Reaction Score
yes hartford has no shopping, literally.

blue back square is 15 mins west in west hartford and Buckland Hills is 15 mins east in manchester. they will have to drop you off at the game.

after the game there are several good places to eat in hartford by the XL center: max downtown, capitol grille, teds grill, bears bbq, trumbull kitchen, salute, sorella, chango rosa, siam, the Russell, agave, etc.

Reaction Score
You guys are great, thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated!!

Reaction Score
I'll put in another vote for Bear's BBQ. As long as everyone likes BBQ. It's a little bit of a walk from the XL Center but not more than 5-10 minutes. I took two 3 year old boys there last year after visiting the Connecticut Science Center (right across the street) and it went well. It's a casual place where you order at the counter but the food is very good. The kids had smoked turkey breast. If you want more upscale dining @bendm gave you good suggestions all very close to the XL Center.

In terms of shopping, as others have said there is absolutely no shopping in downtown Hartford. 30 years ago there were a few department stores like G. Fox, Sage Allen and the department store in the Hartford Civic Center Mall (which name escapes me). Back then you could waste 2 hours shopping and walking around the Civic Center Mall. Today I couldn't even give you a suggestion for something to do for 2 hours near the XL Center for your wife and newborn to do while you're at the game. Need to get in the car and go to WestFarms or Blue Back Square.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
FYI for all you Bear's BBQ fans, they just opened a New Haven location called The Stack. Went there with the family yesterday and it was awesome. The space is pretty impressive and will be even better in good weather because there is a large outdoor seating area as well. They have teamed with Black Hog (unfortunately imo, because I don't love any of their beers) and also have a half dozen guest beers and a cider (perfect for me).

Reaction Score
Bears BBQ has a place in West Hartford right next to Blue Back square and all the other West Hartford shopping called The Cook and the Bear. I liked it but might be more fun for you all to eat downtown in Hartford.

Reaction Score
There is Cook and the Bear in Blue Back Square too.

For the OP, if you do come to West Hartford, Blue Back and West Hartford Center are right on top of each other so you won’t even know when you left one and went to the other really.

Edit: superjohn beat me to it.

Reaction Score
FYI for all you Bear's BBQ fans, they just opened a New Haven location called The Stack. Went there with the family yesterday and it was awesome. The space is pretty impressive and will be even better in good weather because there is a large outdoor seating area as well.

Went last Tuesday w/ wife and two young 20’s sons... good stuff. Pretty good variety of the menu ended up on the table. There were no complaints and left very full! I’ll be back for more Moinkballs and brisket fat basted pretzels.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There’s also The Blind Pig in the space where Bears used to be on Arch Street. Also from the Bear people. That’s not a race of anthropomorphic bears but rather the restaurant group behind the various Bears and Cook and the Bear and Bearly There, that’s their O2 bar that I just made up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Blueback square/ West Hartford center.... Cheesecake Factory, movie theater, shopping. Cook and the bear good as well (same owner as bears)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom