Hartford Post Game Thoughts | The Boneyard

Hartford Post Game Thoughts

Reaction Score
We won which is the most important thing. However, we played terribly.

Hurley needs to coach better. Brendam Adams is playing way too many minutes, and played very bad. We have way too many players for Adams to get so many undeserving minutes. Small ball lineup with 4 guards is not the way. Big East Gaff has solidified the starting point guard spot with his solid play. RJ Cole is a backup and not a starter. Bouknight is very good, but he is not a leader. Out leadership will need to come from Gaff, Whaley, and Polley.

RJ Cole and Brendan Adams are selfish players and not that good. They need to come off the bench and know/learn their roles. AJacks and Sanogo are good energy guys off the bench. That's what Cole and Adams need to be.

Martin was solid and played like an upperclassmen. His presence and game affect Polley's game as they do similar things on the court. Polley was in foul trouble like most of the team, but he needs to play a lot if we are to be a really good team. I like AJacks presence and energy much better with the team compared to Martins. He also fits better with Polley.

Gaff and Whaley were responsible for finishing the game off. Whaley is clearly the best big man on the team. He is also an energizer for the team.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
LOL. And it’s well written so I can’t assume alcohol was involved in this take.

Reaction Score
Pretty much agreed except on Cole. 1 stupid TO but he was our only player who was effecient shooting the rock tonight. If 4/7 and 2/4 from 3 is selfish from the floor is selfish, sign me up.

Reaction Score

Hurley needs to coach better. Brendam Adams is playing way too many minutes, and played very bad. We have way too many players for Adams to get so many undeserving minutes. Small ball lineup with 4 guards is not the way. Big East Gaff has solidified the starting point guard spot with his solid play. RJ Cole is a backup and not a starter. Bouknight is very good, but he is not a leader. Out leadership will need to come from Gaff, Whaley, and Polley.

RJ Cole and Brendan Adams are selfish players and not that good. They need to come off the bench and know/learn their roles. AJacks and Sanogo are good energy guys off the bench. That's what Cole and Adams need to be.

Martin was solid and played like an upperclassmen. His presence and game affect Polley's game as they do similar things on the court. Polley was in foul trouble like most of the team, but he needs to play a lot if we are to be a really good team. I like AJacks presence and energy much better with the team compared to Martins. He also fits better with Polley.

Gaff and Whaley were responsible for finishing the game off. Whaley is clearly the best big man on the team. He is also an energizer for the team.
Sorry OP you must have been watching another game. Cole is a great player and can score in many ways. Now B. Adams shouldn't get as many minutes as he does. Polley looked slow this game.

Reaction Score

Martin and Polley don't play the same at all. Martin does a little of everything, rebounds like crazy, and is very strong physically. When Polley isn't taking and making shots he doesn't really add much of anything. They both will be really important but completely different players.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why Danny kept Sanogo on the bench so long in 2nd half. He was dominating early on.
Yeah he needs to play more minutes. He isn't as good defensively as Whaley but he will get better in time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry OP you must have been watching another game. Cole is a great player and can score in many ways. Now B. Adams shouldn't get as many minutes as he does. Polley looked slow this game.

You watched Cole tonight and the eye test told you great player? He was outplayed by Gaff by a big margin.

Reaction Score
You watched Cole tonight and the eye test told you great player? He was outplayed by Gaff by a big margin.
He sure ran the offense well and is a consistent scorer and can shoot the 3. What is not to like about him. Now B. Adams is scary with the ball in his hands.

Reaction Score
We had our team leader CV graduate. There is no defined leader right now but Whaley is close. Many new players to mix in as well as 2 returning from injury. Bouknight has to be better at not becoming invisible but he is young. We will struggle out of the gate this year and hopefully respond like last year.

Reaction Score
I think we lack leadership, need a huge improvement on PG play, and could use a rim protector for when our guards get burnt on dribble penetration.

Reaction Score
We had our team leader CV graduate. There is no defined leader right now but Whaley is close. Many new players to mix in as well as 2 returning from injury. Bouknight has to be better at not becoming invisible but he is young. We will struggle out of the gate this year and hopefully respond like last year.
Generally you want leadership at guard simply because they touch the ball more
But there are different kind of leaders
and Whaley’s hustle is contagious. Tough playing pretty much back to back with a Holiday in between especially without crowd energy.

Reaction Score
Rj Cole shud come off the bench instead of Gaffney? RJ Cole is selfish ? What? are you mixing up RJ with BAdams Or had way too much to drink tonight? He’s easily our second best scorer. You can’t be serious about Cole -really? I do agree with you about Adams though-If you weren’t mixing the two up - Hurley loves that dude for some reason

Reaction Score
I think I like Gaff/Bouk/Martin/Polley/Whaley as starters next game. Akok to replace Polley when ready. Bouk and Cole are the best scorers; one if them needs to be in at all times. I like AJax in the high post against the zone; missed that tonight. Cole/Adams/AJax/Polley/Sanogo would be a good 2nd 5 when Akok returns.
Is Josh only for foul trouble?

Reaction Score
I think I like Gaff/Bouk/Martin/Polley/Whaley as starters next game. Akok to replace Polley when ready. Bouk and Cole are the best scorers; one if them needs to be in at all times. I like AJax in the high post against the zone; missed that tonight. Cole/Adams/AJax/Polley/Sanogo would be a good 2nd 5 when Akok returns.
I think you will more likely just see Polley substituted for Martin. If we go with the 3 upfront than Gaffney is the odd man out since Cole is a better offensive player.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I think you will more likely just see Polley substituted for Martin. If we go with the 3 upfront than Gaffney is the odd man out since Cole is a better offensive player.

Couldn't agree more with both of you. @NHalan those are my exact hopes for the starting lineup for the Vandy game and for when Akok comes back healthy.

Gaffney/Bouknight/Martin/Akok/Whaley -- is legit for so many reasons.
Cole/Adams/Jackson/Polley/Sanogo -- as a second unit is an embarrasment of riches if they're playing to their potentials.

However, it seems @3rdbass is correct that Gaffney would be the odd man out in favor of Cole starting because of his ability to be leaned on for scoring and his veteran presence. Although, Gaffney does bring a veteran poise most of the time and did so down the stretch of the Hartford game.

Most likely scenario is that Martin replaces Polley and Hurley continues to go with Gaffney/Cole at the guard spots until others can prove they can be relied on to get us going early.

Have to hope a few practices will help things click for Jackson. We need him to be the all around contributor he's capable of being.

For now, Gaffney/Cole/Bouknight/Martin/Whaley is the lineup I'm most confident in to start off games. The hot hands always come forward throughout the game and that should dictate the minutes and finishing lineup. See Adams vs CCSU(pivotal performance) then vs UH(face palm performance)

Reaction Score
Gaff is just clearly much better than Cole.

The whole “offense runs better through Cole” is nonsense.

Also, if we’re going to recruit so many bigs and not play them that’s going to be a problem.

I like AJacks energy and contributions in the game more than Martin’s. Martin is solid but his overall impact on the outcome of the game was negligible.

Polley impacts the game in a positive way. When he’s in the game good things happen for the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom