Hartford-New Haven market 14th nationally for college hoops ratings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hartford-New Haven market 14th nationally for college hoops ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cincy also probably has a swath of Kentucky fans along with some Xavier mixed in.

Our market is pretty pure. UConn probably has 90% of it or more. We deliver the whole shebang.

That's the so what behind this data. Hopefully the school will have the sense to take this and spin it in our favor even more.

20% of the cinci market is OSU fans:

Google Trends Cinci (OSU vs. Cinci Basketball)

Simple 80% of their 2.1 rating is 1.7. Disclaimer, I have no idea what the DMA measure is.

I would guess that Hartford/Newhaven + Fairfield beats that.

Reaction Score
Maybe you just need to get over yourself and realize that a decent college basketball TV market just isn't worth that much compared to football.

I am acutely aware of that. But it's still asset that needs to be played up.

Reaction Score
I haven't set anything up. Their record of failures speaks for it self. The public relations arm of this school is really a stump. And has stood back content to let B List sports writers and hacks define it.
So, UConn isn't in the ACC because of marketing?

Show me the evidence...

From what I understand, they were blocked initially by BC, and then blocked out of spite by FSU in a power-play against Tobacco Road and Swofford.

That may not be true, but it's backed by as much evidence as you have for your opinion--in fact, more, since we have real evidence about BC.

As for the initial point that you deflected from in your answer: you were wrong. UConn tweeted it to anyone who follows, and, since you have no evidence they didn't then send it along to Delany and Swofford, you really have no leg to stand on regarding them not advertising....

Reaction Score
Was marketing decisive? I don't know. But I do know that when we had our little runoff with Louisville last fall that we had zero advocates in the media and that the school stood by and monitored as all sorts of completely false information about the school was broadcast.

We did nothing about it. nada. It was incredibly strange.

Meanwhile Louisville enjoyed a pretty impressive media groundswell. It was hardly accidental.

So, UConn isn't in the ACC because of marketing?

Show me the evidence...

From what I understand, they were blocked initially by BC, and then blocked out of spite by FSU in a power-play against Tobacco Road and Swofford.

That may not be true, but it's backed by as much evidence as you have for your opinion--in fact, more, since we have real evidence about BC.

As for the initial point that you deflected from in your answer: you were wrong. UConn tweeted it to anyone who follows, and, since you have no evidence they didn't then send it along to Delany and Swofford, you really have no leg to stand on regarding them not advertising....

Reaction Score
Was marketing decisive? I don't know. But I do know that when we had our little runoff with Louisville last fall that we had zero advocates in the media and that the school stood by and monitored as all sorts of completely false information about the school was broadcast.

We did nothing about it. nada. It was incredibly strange.

Meanwhile Louisville enjoyed a pretty impressive media groundswell. It was hardly accidental.
I think the fundamental flaw in your logic is that "Public equals Private."

I think were were selling ourselves hard to the ACC (and I have as much evidence for my position as you do). It seems likely, though, that we were a bit embarrassed by our #beggingharder once Syracuse and Pitt left, and decided to keep things private.

I don't think we could have done anything: FSU wanted to make a point to Tobacco Road, and they did.

Reaction Score
There is no flaw. There is a clear difference in begging and explaining. In our case, the leadership chose to do neither.

I think the fundamental flaw in your logic is that "Public equals Private."

I think were were selling ourselves hard to the ACC (and I have as much evidence for my position as you do). It seems likely, though, that we were a bit embarrassed by our #beggingharder once Syracuse and Pitt left, and decided to keep things private.

I don't think we could have done anything: FSU wanted to make a point to Tobacco Road, and they did.

Reaction Score
Twitter feed? We just tweeted this figure to UConn fans. Fantastic. Let's sell Jesus to Christians too and ice to Eskimos.

We suck at tooting our own horn.

Tweeting it to a bunch of UConn fans is preaching to the choir.

Zoo - I don't disagree that we can do infinately better tooting our own horn...

Here is a sample who follows the UConnMBB twitter feed (just some of the more obvious) but I'm sure you get the point though...

CBSSportsBigEast‏@CBSBigEast
AP_Top25‏Verified account@AP_Top25
CollegeBasketbllTalk‏@CBTonNBC
College Hoops Fans‏@CollegeBBFans
CBS College Network‏@CBSCN
STATS_CBK‏@STATS_CBK
Wally Szczerbiak‏Verified account@wallyball
2K Sports Classic‏@2KSportsClassic
Euro Players NCAA‏@EuroPlayersNCAAProtected account
CollegeHoopsDigest‏@NCAAhoopsdigest
SportsNet New York‏Verified account@SNYtv
ACC Confidential‏@acconfi
MSG‏Verified account@TheGarden
FOX Sports: Hoops‏Verified account@HoopsonFOX
The Average Joe Show‏@AverageJoes1450
Sports News Nation‏@SportsNewsNatio
Dan Wolken‏@DanWolken
NACBM‏@NACBM
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account@JonRothstein

Reaction Score
If you don't disagree then stop arguing to the contrary. Retweeting something ESPN tweeted and passing it off as PR is lazy and ineffective.

The So What is that we dominate that market. You think Cincy and Louisville dominate their's, they share it to a much greater degree than we ever will.

It's totally weak.

Zoo - I don't disagree that we can do infinately better tooting our own horn...

Here is a sample who follows the UConnMBB twitter feed (just some of the more obvious) but I'm sure you get the point though...

CBSSportsBigEast‏@CBSBigEast
AP_Top25‏Verified account@AP_Top25
CollegeBasketbllTalk‏@CBTonNBC
College Hoops Fans‏@CollegeBBFans
CBS College Network‏@CBSCN
STATS_CBK‏@STATS_CBK
Wally Szczerbiak‏Verified account@wallyball
2K Sports Classic‏@2KSportsClassic
Euro Players NCAA‏@EuroPlayersNCAAProtected account
CollegeHoopsDigest‏@NCAAhoopsdigest
SportsNet New York‏Verified account@SNYtv
ACC Confidential‏@acconfi
MSG‏Verified account@TheGarden
FOX Sports: Hoops‏Verified account@HoopsonFOX
The Average Joe Show‏@AverageJoes1450
Sports News Nation‏@SportsNewsNatio
Dan Wolken‏@DanWolken
NACBM‏@NACBM
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account@JonRothstein

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah because the Athletic Dept has really been on the stick lately.

They've been issuing releases on this ratings stuff since football season - maybe it's your stick that's gone vacant?

Reaction Score
They've been issuing releases on this ratings stuff since football season - maybe it's your stick that's gone vacant?

Well then their method of delivery is poor.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
With UConn out of the BET, I know there is one household TV that is usually glued to ESPN's coverage of the Tourney that is not watching.

Reaction Score
It's facts like this that lends some credibility to Nelson's conspiracy theories.

Based on everything that expansion is allegedly supposed to be about from tv markets and ratings to academics to football to overall athletic excellence there isn't a single credible reason why UConn should be sitting where it is right now.

Reaction Score
It's facts like this that lends some credibility to Nelson's conspiracy theories.

Based on everything that expansion is allegedly supposed to be about from tv markets and ratings to academics to football to overall athletic excellence there isn't a single credible reason why UConn should be sitting where it is right now.
YES! I was just going to post these exact words but you beat me too it. Agree 100%

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Sometimes nice, innocent people get hit by a bus. happens. I think the NCAA had it in for Calhoun and the APR BS was our payback. But the conference stuff? Seriously? Have most of you ever left the state? Do you realize just how lowly regarded New England public education is? It's a complete non-entity. We shattered that mold in basketball, and UMass at least cracked it. But in football? We toot our horn for our better than expected initial decade playing D1, but the rest of country sees us as far below even the Iowa States of the world. It will take time and wins to change that perception. History and tradition are everything in college football. When we finally re-join the party, it will still be basketball and academics that makes us worthy. We need to play football another 20 years at least before we really join the football club. Don't kid yourself, even schools like Boise State aren't in the club yet.

Reaction Score
Sometimes nice, innocent people get hit by a bus. happens. I think the NCAA had it in for Calhoun and the APR BS was our payback. But the conference stuff? Seriously? Have most of you ever left the state? Do you realize just how lowly regarded New England public education is? It's a complete non-entity. We shattered that mold in basketball, and UMass at least cracked it. But in football? We toot our horn for our better than expected initial decade playing D1, but the rest of country sees us as far below even the Iowa States of the world. It will take time and wins to change that perception. History and tradition are everything in college football. When we finally re-join the party, it will still be basketball and academics that makes us worthy. We need to play football another 20 years at least before we really join the football club. Don't kid yourself, even schools like Boise State aren't in the club yet.
Right. The history and pageantry of Duke - Syracuse football is what's driving this thing

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Sorry... Fairfield County is considered part of the metro NY area for TV.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is there no way they can calculate that? I mean, it is part of CT and the Uconn just kills it in the entire state and we lose out on the most heavily populated part of it.
Someone really needs to approximate this number. Fairfield county x % of the NY DMA so take that % of the NY ratings and add it to the Harford, New Haven numbers and that's closer to that actual numbers that we draw.

D

DanDar

Problem is Cincinnati is #7 and they are competing with UConn for a bcs conference invite.

Sent from my MAXX HD.

Reaction Score
Someone really needs to approximate this number. Fairfield county x % of the NY DMA so take that % of the NY ratings and add it to the Harford, New Haven numbers and that's closer to that actual numbers that we draw.

That would still be underestimating things though because we know for sure that NYC isn't as interested in UConn bball as Fairfield County is.

Reaction Score
Problem is Cincinnati is #7 and they are competing with UConn for a bcs conference invite.

Sent from my MAXX HD.

But you're looking at ratings and not the market.

Rutgers' DMA has much worse ratings than both Cincy and Conn., but why is it in the B1G? It has a huge market.

These ratings things are deceiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104