Hartford Athletic | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hartford Athletic

Reaction Score
A 5 minute conversation between Mandell and his attorney would have prevented this mess.

Reaction Score
It does show a bit of naivite about dealing with government contracts. On the other hand, I don’t think it should be a big deal. There’s a legitimate question whether HA should be considered a state contractor and it’s doubtful the intent was to influence the multi-year contract since it should be completed before a new governor could take office. In fact, I’m surprised they are investing private money and it’s not already done. I’d bet on a fine as the worst case and the contract will go forward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your obsession with Whaler nostalgia is what's truly unhealthy. It's just the name of a guy's blog.
All I have is a flag representing the Whale from the HoF.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All I have is a flag representing the Whale from the HoF.
I meant your obsession with criticizing anything from Hartford that uses Whale or a blue/green color scheme with a negative post is unhealthy.

Reaction Score
I meant your obsession with criticizing anything from Hartford that uses Whale or a blue/green color scheme with a negative post is unhealthy.
I prefer creativity. Hartford has so much more to it than the Whalers. Was told in college that I should have majored in sports marketing.

Unfortunately, it seems some cities are having their teams go by a set of colors, started by Pittsburgh. Phoenix has followed, copying the Cardinals.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I prefer creativity. Hartford has so much more to it than the Whalers. Was told in college that I should have majored in sports marketing.
Says you that it's not creative. The Greater Hartford Festival of Jazz just went to a blue/green scheme. Those are Hartford's colors now. What's Bridgeport's?

Reaction Score
Says you that it's not creative. The Greater Hartford Festival of Jazz just went to a blue/green scheme. Those are Hartford's colors now. What's Bridgeport's?
You're happy with a city wide blue and green scheme? That's bland. Bridgeport won't need colors to project civic pride, I assume. Was at a Sound Tigers game last night. New Haven certainly doesn't have "colors" and won't. Unless Yale takes over all academic institutions in and around the city.

Reaction Score
I think the Whalers colors and brand are iconic. If the Whalers ever made a comeback they would sell Whalers branded stuff like hot cakes in a greasy spoon in the Midwest.

Reaction Score
Iconic for the sport of hockey, yes. Should have been the Connecticut Whalers, anyway.

The Carolina Hurricanes will be wearing Whalers jerseys this season.

Reaction Score
I think the Whalers colors and brand are iconic. If the Whalers ever made a comeback they would sell Whalers branded stuff like hot cakes in a greasy spoon in the Midwest.

The Vancouver Canucks have been 'borrowing' the Whalers's color scheme for a while now.

Reaction Score
Iconic for the sport of hockey, yes. Should have been the Connecticut Whalers, anyway.

The Carolina Hurricanes will be wearing Whalers jerseys this season.

Those bastards can rot in hell.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They used blue and green before the Whalers were in the NHL. If anything, the Whalers copied the Canucks. Whalers used to use green and gold before they joined the NHL.

But the Canucks gave it up and only came back after the Whale's retro success. They even matched the width of the Whale's piping on the sweaters.

Reaction Score
They used blue and green before the Whalers were in the NHL. If anything, the Whalers copied the Canucks. Whalers used to use green and gold before they joined the NHL.

Lot Detail - Gordie Howe's 1978-79 WHA New England Whalers Game-Worn Jersey - Photo-Matched!

Those colors look like the old Minnesota North Stars colors before they moved to Dallas in '93. My memory is a bit off; but, I believe Hartford's home sweater was white and green with just a little blue on the whale tail and some side striping until the mid '90's when blue took on a higher importance, especially the away kit. It's possible that when the Whalers moved over to the NHL in 1979, they had to abandon the green and yellow because of the North Stars and when with a green/blue combo instead. The Canucks, who joined the NHL in 1970, gave-up their blue/green uniforms at the end of 1978 and went to black and gold. No idea why; but, it would have been available for the Whalers and no else one used that color pallet in 1979. The Whalers were gone in after 1997; but, the Canuks did not move back until to the blue/green combo for another decade, though it made an appearance in 2006/7 as a special alternate sweater. Best guess, that flashback sweater was a big hit sales wise and the switch was made the following season.

1979-80 - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

Hartford Whalers - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

Vancouver Canucks - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

Reaction Score
Hartford City Instagram has gone active again. What is dead may never die.

Reaction Score
I have a shirt I bought after Hartford City was supposed to die the first time. Horse head in logo looks weird. Almost looks like a boar. Use of Colt dome is awesome, though.

Hartford Athletic added red. Oh no.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Copying the Whalers is...just, like, so cool.

HA's logo is horrible.

Reaction Score
Those colors look like the old Minnesota North Stars colors before they moved to Dallas in '93.
Albeit not as light as some versions of Oakland / California Golden Seals' jerseys, the Minnesota North Star's colors started as kelly green and yellow. Gradually, they became more forest green and gold. Before failing in Boston and subsequently in Hartford, the WHA New England Whalers also had varying green shades with white and black, then gold, and later despicably Puke-like blue. Nothing in life should resemble anything from Durham.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cox Communications just went from an all-blue to a blue-green logo. Hartford ahead of the curve.
1544123726067.png

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I like the new logo. I think the letter font is awesome and they still snuck in the Whale tail like in the Whalers uniform.

Not sure about that red star

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom