Harper out at NC State | The Boneyard

Harper out at NC State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They need a coach who can recruit. Maybe an assistant from Duke or UNC that already knows the local recruiting area.

Reaction Score
They need a coach who can recruit. Maybe an assistant from Duke or UNC that already knows the local recruiting area.

I can't see that. I don't think an assistant would want to go to a rival in the same market. Would seem very awkward.

Reaction Score

What?

Given the health issues with her son, I would think she wouldn't want the upheaval and pressure of trying to build a program from the bottom, unless staggering money were involved. Not to mention the deep pockets that MD will soon have with its move to the B10. And that they should be winning conference titles there.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 is going to have a stability and money advantage over the ACC and I don't see coaches leaving for that league. If not then maybe the Michigan coach KBA would be a great young coach to hire. There is no real incentive for the Michigan coach to leave when Big 10 Network televises so many WBB games and the revenue the program gets is better than the ACC. If a league is going to lose teams, it will be ACC before another BCS league.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Big 10 is going to have a stability and money advantage over the ACC and I don't see coaches leaving for that league. If not then maybe the Michigan coach KBA would be a great young coach to hire. There is no real incentive for the Michigan coach to leave when Big 10 Network televises so many WBB games and the revenue the program gets is better than the ACC. If a league is going to lose teams, it will be ACC before another BCS league.

Its a heckuva lot easier to win at Michigan or another Big 10 school as opposed to NC State regardless of money or revenue.

Reaction Score
@PackPride
A name to watch for the women's bball opening is Matthew Mitchell. No clue if he'd be interested, but he's turned around Kentucky's program.

I don't see a coach from a top 25 program going to rebuild NC State. You either hire a smaller college coach or an assistant from a big program like Shea Ralph. NC State already went with the small school head coach hire with Harper so assistant from a big program might be better. What if NC State hired Odom, would UNC recruits still all want to go there? Talk about upping the rivalry right there if that happened.

Reaction Score
What?

Given the health issues with her son, I would think she wouldn't want the upheaval and pressure of trying to build a program from the bottom, unless staggering money were involved. Not to mention the deep pockets that MD will soon have with its move to the B10. And that they should be winning conference titles there.

Frese is not happy about the move to the B10, and she misses Yow giving her anything she wanted.Frese has coached in the B10 and left after a year.

Maryland was 85 million in debt a year ago, now they are over 100 million in debt. They face a $50 million dollar exit fee from the ACC, which they are challenging in court.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Gail Goestenkors

tumblr_ln0ealwzry1qd6e6ho1_250.gif

Reaction Score
Frese is not happy about the move to the B10, and she misses Yow giving her anything she wanted.Frese has coached in the B10 and left after a year.

Maryland was 85 million in debt a year ago, now they are over 100 million in debt. They face a $50 million dollar exit fee from the ACC, which they are challenging in court.

She left after a year because MN was about to get in NCAA trouble b/c of her predecessor, and Maryland was a great opportunity -- in the middle of good recruiting and nowhere to go but up.

MD wont be in debt much longer, once the Big10 money starts rolling in.

Reaction Score
@PackPride
A name to watch for the women's bball opening is Matthew Mitchell. No clue if he'd be interested, but he's turned around Kentucky's program.

(1) When is the last time a coach - in any sport - voluntarily left a top team to go turnaround a bad one? Other than Howard Schnellenberger leaving Miami to go back to his alma mater Louisville which desperately needed him, I can't think of one.

(2) Any coach who voluntarily leaves the SEC or Big10 for another conference should have his/her head examined. (Unless they're going to a top-tier program.)

Reaction Score
She left after a year because MN was about to get in NCAA trouble b/c of her predecessor, and Maryland was a great opportunity -- in the middle of good recruiting and nowhere to go but up.

MD wont be in debt much longer, once the Big10 money starts rolling in.

I know the B10 tv contract is big, but you cannot eliminate over $100 million dollars in debt quickly. If they lose the lawsuit, we are talking about $150 million of debt.

They recently cut 7 teams because of all the financial problems.

arch

Reaction Score
@PackPride

I don't see a coach from a top 25 program going to rebuild NC State. You either hire a smaller college coach or an assistant from a big program like Shea Ralph. NC State already went with the small school head coach hire with Harper so assistant from a big program might be better. What if NC State hired Odom, would UNC recruits still all want to go there? Talk about upping the rivalry right there if that happened.
CD anybody?

Reaction Score
As a season ticket holder to NC State (through good and bad, God help me to see the light!) -- this was not a surprise at all. Even while we would love to have CD, that is not going to happen. It's hard to predict what Debbie Yow will do. I agree with the decision to let Harper go, as the program just wasn't going anywhere; yet I also feel Harper had an "extra" target on her back -- I mean hello, she is Kay Yow's "replacement" and Debbie Yow is the AD -- knowing Debbie, as I do, you just aren't going to tarnish the State program as it has been lately. No, State has never been (nor will ever be) a major ACC team like some of the other schools, as we live in the shadows of Duke & UNC, but we have been much better than near the bottom of the league.

So we shall see -- no rumors as of yet, as I think Debbie will wait until after the NCAA -- but yes, many of us have been hoping for Brenda Frese for quite some time, but I honestly don't see that happening (I would be shocked); Gail Goestenkors would be great, but would she really come back this close to Duke? Others were saying Nell Fortner (formerly of Auburn); and yes, Chris Dailey's name has been mentioned, but I just immediately put a stop to that. I love Chris Dailey and would love to go shopping with her here in Raleigh (ha!) but we can't split up Geno & CD, that's just legendary! So we are anxiously awaiting -- maybe if UConn slams Maryland, we can get Brenda, hahaha!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO this was probably a wise decision for NC State. Kellie over three years has proven that she can't recruit at the level of Duke or UNC. If NC State has any chance of getting in the Top 4/5 of the ACC, they have to win a couple of the recruiting wars against Duke & UNC. Last year, NC State did not have a recruiting class ranked in the Top 25 and 7 other ACC teams did.

Now the question is, the can hire a Coach that will be able to win a couple of the recruiting wars. If I'm NC State I go after Rick Insell of MTSU who has proven he can win and has the AAU contacts that should enable him to be successful in recruiting. If you can't get him go after one of his children. Matt is an assistant coach at Kentucky and might be the best choice after his father.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The reality is that the NC State job is not a "top tier" position. Let's be honest - Duke is one of the greatest gigs in WCBB and they "only" snagged the former HC of Michigan State. So anyone who thinks a sub par NC State is going to land Mitchell, Freese, or some other top tier type of coach is unrealistic (notice I did not say "crazy").

They possibly could land the HC from a program like MTSU, Marist or Gonzaga, or possibly snag an assistant from a top tier program.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected! Though I'd say moving to an asst job is different than moving to a head coaching job.

You're right it is different...it's worse. That's a lateral move not a promotion (technically, don't know the in's and out's of ACC assistant lives). Immature or not if the same circumstance happened with an asst on my team I'd consider her a trader. What would be worse/more awkward: CD leaving to be the new head coach at Pitt or the new assistant at ND?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom