Hard to Watch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hard to Watch

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's funny how time changes perceptions. I'm a 1992 UConn grad, and grew up with the rise of UConn/Calhoun.

Most everything you describe that you "don't like about Hurley" also applied to our lord and savior Jim Calhoun. He was exceptionally arrogant (especially to the press), brash & abrasive, childish on the sidelines, got technical fouls, etc., etc. And many times, it was the detriment to game outcomes. We just forget those and remember the successes. It's human nature.

Both he and Hurley are fervently loyal to their players. There's just no denying that if you pay attention. But, Calhoun coached in an era where it was a-ok to be brutal to them during games. Times have changed (for the better/worse can definitely be debated). The fact of the matter is that in today's society and state of college athletics, tough-love is often frowned upon, and nowadays it will result in mass exoduses to the transfer portal from players unhappy with that tough-love.
Calhoun had reasons to be confident. He had success early. He had results to sell.

Please don’t compare their sideline demeanor. Calhoun had purpose with everything he did. He didn’t just lose it because he lost control.

You don’t have to be brutal to hold players accountable and if players trusted you to do what was best for them they can take hard coaching. Hurley just hasn’t done anything to show he is capable yet. Calhoun can cuss a player out throughout the 2000s because he can point to Ray, Rip, Donyell, rings, etc. Hurley has Bouknight and 2 tournament wins to stand on.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
First of all, please know that I respect the heck out of everything that I've stripped out in replying to this post. I haven't ignored whatever's omitted. I agree, am favorably impressed, or don't substantially disagree with any of the missing pieces.

Also,I do know some of your back story, overall POV, integrity, and caring from reading your posts both here and a 'related' forum where I agree with your impassioned expression much more often than not.

Yep, that's clear as a bell and well put. I can see how and why you and others might feel that way.

Elements of his coaching style, temperament, decision-making, clock-management, in-game adjustments, and more have been widely identified as objectionable, troublesome, suboptimal, beyond current capability, beyond hope, and more.

I appreciate that you've identified your list, and know that some it intersects with that of other fans, and that other fans have some additions, subtraction, and differences.

All coaches - especially those who are highly-paid, highly-visible, and in high-profile programs - are examined and assessed this way. Endlessly.

Even with a couple typos that create a bit of uncertainty in me, I think I get what you're saying.

As to you & some others who feel like you do, I don't think you are less of a fan, and certainly not when you express yourself this way.

But I'm also certain that there are look-alike/sound-alike comments coming from posters who are NOT friendly to the program, and that goes well beyond some are not as loyal as you & those like you. Such posters reasonably concern me.

To my last point, I add that I am neither blind toward faults nor choosing to ignore them, which are the only two possibilities you've offered.

If you want me to accept that you are no less loyal a fan than I am, then it's not unreasonable for me to want you to accept that my not speaking up as you do does not necessarily mean that I am blind or choosing to ignore.

AND, if I would argue that some posters are acting in bad faith against UConn's interests, you preserve your right to believe that some posters are blind to faults or choosing to ignore them.

Those previous two paragraphs are intended to establish fair and firm footing for both of us.

I appreciate that you draw distinction between a person and the institution that has hired him and is represented by him. I particularly appreciate that you draw additional distinction between a person and his behaviors, which in this case you have labeled "antics."

I speak only for myself here in saying that some of my comments can indeed be read as disparaging, but certainly not all of them. Some are even meant to be disparaging, but those are reserved for select posters who have already demonstrated repeated bad faith, or are so self-certain/overreaching that they surely shouldn't be surprised when somebody questions them, highlights their blind spots, or otherwise seeks to slow their roll.

Some comments might be disparaging or not, depending on who is reading them.

Lots of things in your post and my response remain open to debate, and varieties of opinion, tonal preferences, framing, perspective, motivating forces, and so on.

I don't play as nicely with bot-like trolls, the chronically obnoxious, and those who seem inflexible, stubborn, petulant, emotionally, immature, grandiose, power-grabbing, chaos-making, antagonistic, and such. In this age of anonymity, false representation, ambiguous agency, and outsize rewards, competing forces have ever more motivation & tools to compete unethically. It's very different world from when my dad first invited me to join him 60 years ago travel on a school night along pre-Interstate roads to a cold & distant place that confused me by sounding like UConn, then walk from parking lot through steam rising up from underground tunnels and into a cavernous building with a dirt floor.

Nietzsche said, "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster."

I think of that when I read the most caustic posts about the head coach who will be with this team every single remaining game this season (and probably beyond, but that's another matter), and hear him described as flawed, myopic, immature, & stubborn by people whose very words & style strike me as flawed, myopic, immature, and stubborn.

Awareness and allowance of one without seeing how it mirrors the other, and with seemingly little consideration of how it emboldens and metaphorically 'gives comfort to the enemy' is what animates my push back. I want the coaches, the players, and the fans all engaged in healthy growth.

Until I got down to my previous sentence, it didn't occur to me that last night I witnessed another round of something aligned with this 'everybody growing' vision. The crazily injured, ill, and mourning UConn WBB team defeated historical super-rival Tennessee for its 12th consecutive victory and continued further down its own portion of the path to a third double Championship season. May this Forum's team follow suit: coaches, players, and fans.
Epic Post. You have a great gift for writing and self expression. Do you work in family interventions or family counseling?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Calhoun had reasons to be confident. He had success early. He had results to sell.

Please don’t compare their sideline demeanor. Calhoun had purpose with everything he did. He didn’t just lose it because he lost control.

You don’t have to be brutal to hold players accountable and if players trusted you to do what was best for them they can take hard coaching. Hurley just hasn’t done anything to show he is capable yet. Calhoun can cuss a player out throughout the 2000s because he can point to Ray, Rip, Donyell, rings, etc. Hurley has Bouknight and 2 tournament wins to stand on.
JC lost his father at a young age in a large family. He had to grow up in a hurry without that father. I think he was helped as a young man and coach by Red Auerbach. Red's teams were the epitome of excellence. Jim paid his dues and learned how think to think for himself on his own and developed the fierce resolve by emulating Red's standards which were pretty absolute. Dedication to winning by getting teams to be unified completely and selfless for the benefit of winning. I think JC got an insider's view from Red on winning formulas and how that view was played out in real time on the Celtics court. He had the humility (teachableness) to watch greatness and learn how to apply it in his own career. Players like Russel, Cousey, Havlicek etc. working together with Red A? A study in greatness. I don't think the motivation was pride or fear of shame. I just think that they were motivated to do their very best to succeed because they believed in themselves and others to accomplish great things together. These are great stories because they apply to life as well as sports.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
JC lost his father at a young age in a large family. He had to grow up in a hurry without that father. I think he was helped as a young man and coach by Red Auerbach. Red's teams were the epitome of excellence. Jim paid his dues and learned how think to think for himself on his own and developed the fierce resolve by emulating Red's standards which were pretty absolute. Dedication to winning by getting teams to be unified completely and selfless for the benefit of winning. I think JC got an insider's view from Red on winning formulas and how that view was played out in real time on the Celtics court. He had the humility (teachableness) to watch greatness and learn how to apply it in his own career. Players like Russel, Cousey, Havlicek etc. working together with Red A? A study in greatness. I don't think the motivation was pride or fear of shame. I just think that they were motivated to do their very best to succeed because they believed in themselves and others to accomplish great things together. These are great stories because they apply to life as well as sports.
I didn’t even know Jim was mentored by Red, thank you for sharing! He must’ve had some great stories for the players to share constantly throughout his career about their successes. Really cool to know.

Dan has some great mentors available to him too. His father of course, and Jim right there who seems more than willing to be involved.

Reaction Score
The UConn men are hard to watch live. I record the games and if they win I watch the recording. If they lose, I delete. I haven't watched too many games recently. Back in the day when Jim Calhoun was the coach they often won whether they were favored or not. Currently, we are waiting to see how they are going to lose. Will they get behind early and not be able to catch up or will they take a lead into the second half and blow it? I think Dan Hurley is a very good recruiter but he struggles to coach the team. I hope he is a fast learner and better times are ahead.
Uconn doesn't need fans like you..find anorher team or sport..or get on some meds!! Don't watch at all.. who need you!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Been using this analogy for a bit

JC was searing hot coal. DH is a raging brushfire. One works for leadership; the other does not

Reaction Score
It's funny how time changes perceptions. I'm a 1992 UConn grad, and grew up with the rise of UConn/Calhoun.

Most everything you describe that you "don't like about Hurley" also applied to our lord and savior Jim Calhoun. He was exceptionally arrogant (especially to the press), brash & abrasive, childish on the sidelines, got technical fouls, etc., etc. And many times, it was the detriment to game outcomes. We just forget those and remember the successes. It's human nature.

Both he and Hurley are fervently loyal to their players. There's just no denying that if you pay attention. But, Calhoun coached in an era where it was a-ok to be brutal to them during games. Times have changed (for the better/worse can definitely be debated). The fact of the matter is that in today's society and state of college athletics, tough-love is often frowned upon, and nowadays it will result in mass exoduses to the transfer portal from players unhappy with that tough-love.
I agree with the part about loyalty to the players but JC held players responsible for lack of effort especially on defense and would immediately yank you out of the game with the the most common attitude being “ if you want to watch the game you can have a seat on the bench right next to me. Letting certain favorite players AJ, especially AS who doesn’t jump any more to block shots and gets out of the way from player’s driving past him instead of taking the charge. Don’t believe me ? Go watch a video of the last game. And he was never removed from the game, not until it was time for Hurley’s hockey shift ( substituting the entire team). He even did when they went on a run( like 10/11 points in now row to almost catch up, -1), only to fall behind by 10 again. He has no feel for what’s going on with his rotations or ill timed tine outs. Cost them 2 points with his last one in a one point game. JMHA

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Been using this analogy for a bit

JC was searing hot coal. DH is a raging brushfire. One works for leadership; the other does not
It's an interesting analogy and apt for describing its impact.

I maintain that it's too early to confidently draw the raging brush fire conclusion as to DH. It does appear to something more of a fear, worry, concern, etc.

My comments this season support a growing personal sense that the MBB Forum fits the raging bushfire description far better than the head coach.

Reaction Score
The UConn men are hard to watch live. I record the games and if they win I watch the recording. If they lose, I delete. I haven't watched too many games recently. Back in the day when Jim Calhoun was the coach they often won whether they were favored or not. Currently, we are waiting to see how they are going to lose. Will they get behind early and not be able to catch up or will they take a lead into the second half and blow it? I think Dan Hurley is a very good recruiter but he struggles to coach the team. I hope he is a fast learner and better times are ahead.
Problem is at this point fast learner doesn’t come into play. He had his dad to show him how to coach but that hasn’t helped.
It’s about talent either you have it or you don’t
And sorry to say he does not.. he can’t make any adjustments and this is clearly evident at the start of second halves but most importantly the last five minutes of every game…. This team has talent but the body needs a head to function successfully

Reaction Score
It's not coaching. As a player, you have to keep your cool and execute in crunch time. That's what Xaiver did. Make the right decisions.
A coach teaches players to “ keep their cool”
There is no teaching I have seen..

Reaction Score
Isn’t that taking” jumping on and off the bandwagon “ to a whole new level. Your passion for UConn is fleeting ( one game at a time) or seems nonexistent. JMHO

Reaction Score
Hard to watch? Man you've been spoiled in your life. It gets far far worse my man.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom