Hard to Watch | The Boneyard

Hard to Watch

Reaction Score
The UConn men are hard to watch live. I record the games and if they win I watch the recording. If they lose, I delete. I haven't watched too many games recently. Back in the day when Jim Calhoun was the coach they often won whether they were favored or not. Currently, we are waiting to see how they are going to lose. Will they get behind early and not be able to catch up or will they take a lead into the second half and blow it? I think Dan Hurley is a very good recruiter but he struggles to coach the team. I hope he is a fast learner and better times are ahead.

Reaction Score
The UConn men are hard to watch live. I record the games and if they win I watch the recording. If they lose, I delete. I haven't watched too many games recently. Back in the day when Jim Calhoun was the coach they often won whether they were favored or not. Currently, we are waiting to see how they are going to lose. Will they get behind early and not be able to catch up or will they take a lead into the second half and blow it? I think Dan Hurley is a very good recruiter but he struggles to coach the team. I hope he is a fast learner and better times are ahead.
We already know he isn’t that fast a learner. He is in year five.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We already know he isn’t that fast a learner. He is in year five.
Pathetic on its own.
Even worse in context, slacker.

You're melting now, with creaky jokes mixed in with bile that's getting lapped by more posters daily. You're not even a leader in your chosen field anymore.

I tossed you a lifeline and the only things that's secure is that you'll stay the course after some others check out.

Anything to get out of meeting a challenge you created as a breezy foregone conclusion.

You have nothing to expose anymore except yourself.

Reaction Score
I had to laugh at this… I’ve almost started doing that too (tape and only watch if they win). So painful to watch sometimes, but I managed to do it yesterday.

Reaction Score
We have a room in our house dedicated to UConn men’s and women’s basketball, we have a UConn tree full of memorabilia that stays up till the last game is played men’s or women’s. We’ve been to two championship games 1999 and 2014, that said some of us just don’t like Hurley’s personality, his arrogance, his childish behavior, and his coaching ( playing favorites and never holding players accountable for lazy play especially on defense). I know we were spoiled by JC, but it’s more than that, his stubbornness and refusal to change anything until it’s too late has gotten old. To some of you our frustration with him somehow makes up less loyal fans than those of you that are either blind to his faults or choose to ignore them is complete nonsense. I literally haven’t missed a game since they started televising them ( used to record them on vhs and had season tickets to all the games at HCC and Gampel pavilion till we moved to Florida in 2000. I’m as loyal a fan as anyone on this site and my dislike for Hurley’s antics do not diminish my love for all things UConn related. I felt the need to say something after reading other people disparaging some of us who are not happy about the current situation with men’s basketball. That’s all. Any of you take a 36 hour bus ride to Tampa , buy tickets from some scary looking dudes in van alley in 1999 to see UConn beat Duke? We did.

caw

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, Hurley seems to have a very regimented formula for offense. It's great for OOC games and is actually a representative of good coaching. The problem is, it takes some of the surprise out of the offense and as the season goes on, teams adjust and scout the plays much better. It allows teams to prep much more easily for the offense. Similar to how teams adjust and prep for the Cuse Zone.

It's almost the exact opposite of say UK which let's players freelance and adds structure as the season goes on.

Hurley needs to loosen the reins on the players (which he appears to have done with Newton). If Newton continues to attack, I think UConn can/should turn things around during the stretch of this season.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I have taped games in the recent past where I had a good idea they would lose. Kind of tired of the emotional investment especially with DH predictability. I no longer want to be invested in his schtick.
I think the world of the team. I watch the replays because I am interested in the team and am able to watch it more dispassionately. He's a good recruiter; just wish he was more open minded to something other than his past. We all have to grow.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Pathetic on its own.
Even worse in context, slacker.

You're melting now, with creaky jokes mixed in with bile that's getting lapped by more posters daily. You're not even a leader in your chosen field anymore.

I tossed you a lifeline and the only things that's secure is that you'll stay the course after some others check out.

Anything to get out of meeting a challenge you created as a breezy foregone conclusion.

You have nothing to expose anymore except yourself.
If you ever write a best seller, I’m buying it! Lol

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Just my opinion, Hurley seems to have a very regimented formula for offense. It's great for OOC games and is actually a representative of good coaching. The problem is, it takes some of the surprise out of the offense and as the season goes on, teams adjust and scout the plays much better. It allows teams to prep much more easily for the offense. Similar to how teams adjust and prep for the Cuse Zone.

It's almost the exact opposite of say UK which let's players freelance and adds structure as the season goes on.

Hurley needs to loosen the reins on the players (which he appears to have done with Newton). If Newton continues to attack, I think UConn can/should turn things around during the stretch of this season.
Agree. Kind of reminds me of high school basketball. Systematized and rigid.

Reaction Score
We have a room in our house dedicated to UConn men’s and women’s basketball, we have a UConn tree full of memorabilia that stays up till the last game is played men’s or women’s. We’ve been to two championship games 1999 and 2014, that said some of us just don’t like Hurley’s personality, his arrogance, his childish behavior, and his coaching ( playing favorites and never holding players accountable for lazy play especially on defense). I know we were spoiled by JC, but it’s more than that, his stubbornness and refusal to change anything until it’s too late has gotten old. To some of you our frustration with him somehow makes up less loyal fans than those of you that are either blind to his faults or choose to ignore them is complete nonsense. I literally haven’t missed a game since they started televising them ( used to record them on vhs and had season tickets to all the games at HCC and Gampel pavilion till we moved to Florida in 2000. I’m as loyal a fan as anyone on this site and my dislike for Hurley’s antics do not diminish my love for all things UConn related. I felt the need to say something after reading other people disparaging some of us who are not happy about the current situation with men’s basketball. That’s all. Any of you take a 36 hour bus ride to Tampa , buy tickets from some scary looking dudes in van alley in 1999 to see UConn beat Duke? We did.
I’d like to hear more about that 36 hour bus ride. A lot can happen in 36 hours on a bus.

Reaction Score
I was at all 3 games in the 1999 Final Four. It was magnificent experience of a lifetime :)

Reaction Score
Thanks for your interest in UCONN Basketball. Any true fan would watch no matter what at least most of the games as I know sometimes there are personal things that come first. Only casual fans jump on the bandwagon when we are always winning. I watch no matter what and if you were a true fan you would too.

Reaction Score

It's funny how time changes perceptions. I'm a 1992 UConn grad, and grew up with the rise of UConn/Calhoun.

Most everything you describe that you "don't like about Hurley" also applied to our lord and savior Jim Calhoun. He was exceptionally arrogant (especially to the press), brash & abrasive, childish on the sidelines, got technical fouls, etc., etc. And many times, it was the detriment to game outcomes. We just forget those and remember the successes. It's human nature.

Both he and Hurley are fervently loyal to their players. There's just no denying that if you pay attention. But, Calhoun coached in an era where it was a-ok to be brutal to them during games. Times have changed (for the better/worse can definitely be debated). The fact of the matter is that in today's society and state of college athletics, tough-love is often frowned upon, and nowadays it will result in mass exoduses to the transfer portal from players unhappy with that tough-love.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
First of all, please know that I respect the heck out of everything that I've stripped out in replying to this post. I haven't ignored whatever's omitted. I agree, am favorably impressed, or don't substantially disagree with any of the missing pieces.

Also,I do know some of your back story, overall POV, integrity, and caring from reading your posts both here and a 'related' forum where I agree with your impassioned expression much more often than not.
... that said some of us just don’t like Hurley’s personality, his arrogance, his childish behavior,
Yep, that's clear as a bell and well put. I can see how and why you and others might feel that way.
and his coaching ( playing favorites and never holding players accountable)... his stubbornness and refusal to change anything until it’s too late has gotten old.
Elements of his coaching style, temperament, decision-making, clock-management, in-game adjustments, and more have been widely identified as objectionable, troublesome, suboptimal, beyond current capability, beyond hope, and more.

I appreciate that you've identified your list, and know that some it intersects with that of other fans, and that other fans have some additions, subtraction, and differences.

All coaches - especially those who are highly-paid, highly-visible, and in high-profile programs - are examined and assessed this way. Endlessly.

To some of you our frustration with him somehow makes up less loyal fans than those of you that are either blind to his faults or choose to ignore them is complete nonsense...
Even with a couple typos that create a bit of uncertainty in me, I think I get what you're saying.

As to you & some others who feel like you do, I don't think you are less of a fan, and certainly not when you express yourself this way.

But I'm also certain that there are look-alike/sound-alike comments coming from posters who are NOT friendly to the program, and that goes well beyond some are not as loyal as you & those like you. Such posters reasonably concern me.

To my last point, I add that I am neither blind toward faults nor choosing to ignore them, which are the only two possibilities you've offered.

If you want me to accept that you are no less loyal a fan than I am, then it's not unreasonable for me to want you to accept that my not speaking up as you do does not necessarily mean that I am blind or choosing to ignore.

AND, if I would argue that some posters are acting in bad faith against UConn's interests, you preserve your right to believe that some posters are blind to faults or choosing to ignore them.

Those previous two paragraphs are intended to establish fair and firm footing for both of us.
my dislike for Hurley’s antics do not diminish my love for all things UConn related.
I appreciate that you draw distinction between a person and the institution that has hired him and is represented by him. I particularly appreciate that you draw additional distinction between a person and his behaviors, which in this case you have labeled "antics."
I felt the need to say something after reading other people disparaging some of us who are not happy about the current situation with men’s basketball.

I speak only for myself here in saying that some of my comments can indeed be read as disparaging, but certainly not all of them. Some are even meant to be disparaging, but those are reserved for select posters who have already demonstrated repeated bad faith, or are so self-certain/overreaching that they surely shouldn't be surprised when somebody questions them, highlights their blind spots, or otherwise seeks to slow their roll.

Some comments might be disparaging or not, depending on who is reading them.

Lots of things in your post and my response remain open to debate, and varieties of opinion, tonal preferences, framing, perspective, motivating forces, and so on.

I don't play as nicely with bot-like trolls, the chronically obnoxious, and those who seem inflexible, stubborn, petulant, emotionally, immature, grandiose, power-grabbing, chaos-making, antagonistic, and such. In this age of anonymity, false representation, ambiguous agency, and outsize rewards, competing forces have ever more motivation & tools to compete unethically. It's very different world from when my dad first invited me to join him 60 years ago travel on a school night along pre-Interstate roads to a cold & distant place that confused me by sounding like Yukon, then walk from parking lot through steam rising up from underground tunnels and into a cavernous building with a dirt floor.

Nietzsche said, "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster."

I think of that when I read the most caustic posts about the head coach who will be with this team every single remaining game this season (and probably beyond, but that's another matter), and hear him described as flawed, myopic, immature, & stubborn by people whose very words & style strike me as flawed, myopic, immature, and stubborn.

Awareness and allowance of one without seeing how it mirrors the other, and with seemingly little consideration of how it emboldens and metaphorically 'gives comfort to the enemy' is what animates my push back. I want the coaches, the players, and the fans all engaged in healthy growth.

Until I got down to my previous sentence, it didn't occur to me that last night I witnessed another round of something aligned with this 'everybody growing' vision. The crazily injured, ill, and mourning UConn WBB team defeated historical super-rival Tennessee for its 12th consecutive victory and continued further down its own portion of the path to a third double Championship season. May this Forum's team follow suit: coaches, players, and fans.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
A cynical fellow may call you a frontrunner.

Reaction Score
I’d watch every minute of the hoyas if they were 0 -31 It’s great to win — we all have great expectation but I love gtown till death do us part for better or worse
still in support of patrick

Reaction Score
To those that DVR UConn games, find out they lost and still watch the game, I say, bravo! You're better fans than me. However, you may also enjoy having toothpicks hammered under your fingernails.

Reaction Score
I do one of the following: go to game live and if they win watch replay when I get home — if they lose, I delete it. OR I watch the game at home live OR turn off my phone and watch it on dvr on a delay anywhere from 1-3 hrs later depending on what time we get the little ones to bed. Have to admit , they ve been so brutally frustrating to watch lately. gonna take a little mental break from them for a few days and focus on conference championship Sunday and enjoy pretty much the last weekend of football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom