Hard to grasp.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hard to grasp....

Reaction Score
Paige is absolutely incredible. We can all agree on that. How come, when the other team knows she's going to shoot, is she so often wide open to take the shot? Yes, she's hit many shots with a hand in her face. If UConn can figure out how to shut down the other team's best shooter, why is no one in the grill of Paige all game? Just wondering.
They don’t know she’s going to shoot. She’s really a pass first player, so your entire defense has to be connected as to who is helping where or she‘ll be getting teammates layups if you scheme to stop her with a second defender. Other than losing her on a couple back door plays, I think SC probably had the right game plan - stay connected as close as you can, but don’t bring too much help so you can take away her passing game, and force her shoot tough two-point shots instead. We didn’t score enough to win that game really, we just held SC to 54 in regulation as well.

We could see a box and one at some point just to get the ball out of her hands, which I think Christyn could shred by driving into the gaps - but we have to be ready for it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If my memory serves me correct, she was #18.
That sounds about right. I think at that time, there was only 1 or 2 recruiting services. My recollection (FWIW) is that she should have been #1, but because she chose not to play for Mike Flynn's AAU team (he ran Blue Star), he dropped her ranking down to #18. Pretty punitive and petty.

Reaction Score
I’m on board with the hyperbole (just in the sense of what she’s doing as a freshman). I‘m not that young (Corny Thompson was my first favorite UConn player). I haven’t ever seen a player do this in their first year at a new level of competition (pro rookie, college freshman). Just the efficiency as a scorer and playmaker, combined with the clutch play, is unheard of.

I had a wait and see approach. I liked her highlight reels from HS, but college is a different level. She started out the year looking like she deserved the hype, but she was turning the ball over too much, so I thought that would be her one flaw that she would have to work on over time. Going for too many home run plays. She had six against Xavier in a game UConn was up 38-9 after the first quarter, so no big deal, but it was a red flag that she’d have to reel in her aggressive instincts and become more solid. She hasn’t turned it over more than 3 times in a game since. When she didn’t shoot well against UT, I thought that maybe good college athletes would slow her down enough that she’d have to develop more of her game to feel comfortable going against SEC-level teams. She was predictable on offense - just driving in straight lines and not figuring out ways to get clean looks. That didn’t last either. She took 26 shots against SC and every one she missed was a good clean look. I thought maybe you could quibble that she was a bit lazy on D and now she’s welcoming tough assignments.

What some people have to improve on from year to year, it seems like she does in days.

Now there’s a tournament coming and maybe a 3-14 game and a loss will sour her first year a bit, especially with Stewie as a standard. But on a day in and day out basis, I just haven’t seen a player do this as a rookie. Every possession she has the ball is something good. It isn’t two great plays followed by a boneheaded one. It‘s just constantly delivering quality possessions over and over and over.

I‘d say (not to you specifically - but anyone still wanting to reserve judgment), don’t diminish what you're watching. You might never see it again.
We just might see it again next year with Azzi.

Reaction Score
And Moses Malone, had the privilege to see him his Senior year when I was stationed at Fort Lee. It was like watching a NBA player against a high school player, no one could stop him.
Kevin Garnett as well. However, there were also a ton of players out of high school who flamed out and might have had different results going to college instead.

Reaction Score
That sounds about right. I think at that time, there was only 1 or 2 recruiting services. My recollection (FWIW) is that she should have been #1, but because she chose not to play for Mike Flynn's AAU team (he ran Blue Star), he dropped her ranking down to #18. Pretty punitive and petty.
Very interesting.

Reaction Score
I watched Paige on youtube the last several years. I could not wait to see her play for Uconn and she has not disappointed. She, along with Stewie, DellaDonne and Stiles are already at the top of my favorite players to watch. It is too early to make comparisons though as the level of competition Uconn has faced this year has been poor. With Covid-19 fouling everything up, too many teams are really hurting. I think Stewie is the best Uconn player ever and as we all know she stepped up in the biggest of moments. We will have to wait and see how much, if any, her impact will be affected by higher quality opponents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom