Happy New Year! Houston Hired Dana Holgerson | The Boneyard

Happy New Year! Houston Hired Dana Holgerson

Reaction Score
If he couldn't win big at WVA, what makes them think he'll win big in Houston?

Reaction Score
Maybe he wants to go 10-2 in the aac instead of 8-4 in the big 12 with the only likely loss coming to UCF and maybe a bowl game? Maybe even 11-1 seasons...Dunno. I think we might look back on this day as the day Houston (along with UCF (who may have already) (started to) separate(d) themselves from the pack...hope not.

Reaction Score
If he couldn't win big at WVA, what makes them think he'll win big in Houston?
$20 million big! Aside from grande dinero, just maybe prior Texas experience, better regional recruiting potential, etc

Reaction Score
Why would anyone want to go from a P5 head coach to a G5 head coach? Big 12 is a P5 and the AAC isn't...I wouldn't.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone want to go from a P5 head coach to a G5 head coach? Big 12 is a P5 and the AAC isn't...I wouldn't.
A very healthy raise and a restart to the getting fired clock?

No Oklahoma and Texas to contend against are added bonuses. If the playoff expands to guarantee the top G5 school a spot in it, you'll see more moves like this.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'll be curious if Houston will be ok with 10-2 seasons. Will they be ok with going 12-0 and not making the CFB playoffs? I feel like they have crazy, unrealistic expectations at that school. They need to realize they are still a G5 school and just looking at UCF, you're best hope is a NY6 bowl. While that is a good result, it seems like Houston, and their big donor, expect more.

Reaction Score
I'll be curious if Houston will be ok with 10-2 seasons. Will they be ok with going 12-0 and not making the CFB playoffs? I feel like they have crazy, unrealistic expectations at that school. They need to realize they are still a G5 school and just looking at UCF, you're best hope is a NY6 bowl. While that is a good result, it seems like Houston, and their big donor, expect more.

Well the UH President said @ Applewhite’s introductory presser that they fire coaches for 8 wins - let’s see if she ups the ante @ Holgo’s presser.

Reaction Score
Smart money move for Dana. Looks good for the Conference! Power 6! He’s got Will Grier gone and next season not looking nearly as good. He’d probably be on the hot seat after next year...leave while you’re still worth some cash! Have a few good seasons in Houston, then leave once again for more cash and a P5 job. If he failed at WVU he might be done with his head coaching career!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Because he took the red pill... and sees that he has a more direct path to playing on New Years in Houston, where they won a Peach Bowl 2 years ago.

That, and money makes the Propaganda5 seem a bit transparent

Don’t celebrate too hard tonight.

Reaction Score
$20 million big! Aside from grande dinero, just maybe prior Texas experience, better regional recruiting potential, etc
Very tough to recruit in Morgantown while being surrounded by the more glamourous ACC, B1G, and SEC. They need a coach who can sell his vision and playing style like Rich Rod did, despite all the negatives. Somewhat similar to what UConn faces in the sense that they are quite a distance from the rest of their conference members, and get out recruited by VTech, Kentucky, Ohio State, and Tennessee almost every year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Very tough to recruit in Morgantown while being surrounded by the more glamourous ACC, B1G, and SEC. They need a coach who can sell his vision and playing style like Rich Rod did, despite all the negatives. Somewhat similar to what UConn faces in the sense that they are quite a distance from the rest of their conference members, and get out recruited by VTech, Kentucky, Ohio State, and Tennessee almost every year.
Really, it’s tough to recruit to WVU? Seems like they do just fine. I do agree it that their time in the B12 has reduced their ability to recruit the northeast and mid atlantic, but they still get a lot of dudes.

Reaction Score
Its not really about status when coaches consider G5 vs P5. Its simply economics. If a G5 Team like Houston is willing to pay at a P5 Level then they will attract P5 Level Coaches. The fact that The Houston Metro Area is a top 3 talent producer makes it all the more an attractive option for coaches. I suspect there will be more teams that are seeing the success that UCF is having who will find a way to finance a big name coach of their own.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Its not really about status when coaches consider G5 vs P5. Its simply economics. If a G5 Team like Houston is willing to pay at a P5 Level then they will attract P5 Level Coaches. The fact that The Houston Metro Area is a top 3 talent producer makes it all the more an attractive option for coaches. I suspect there will be more teams that are seeing the success that UCF is having and will find a way to finance a big name coach of their own.

Add in a few years old on-campus stadium and year old indoor practice facility and it’s easy to see the jump clearer.

Reaction Score
Really, it’s tough to recruit to WVU? Seems like they do just fine. I do agree it that their time in the B12 has reduced their ability to recruit the northeast and mid atlantic, but they still get a lot of dudes.
You are wrong, and Happy New Year to you too. Relatively speaking they get out recruited by the surrounding P5 schools almost every year. They'll get one occasional 4 star and a handful of three stars and that's it. They had one decent year in the Big 12 going 10-3 a couple years ago, everything else has been 500 ball or worse since the Rich Rod and Bill Stewart Big East years ended.

Reaction Score
A very healthy raise and a restart to the getting fired clock?

No Oklahoma and Texas to contend against are added bonuses. If the playoff expands to guarantee the top G5 school a spot in it, you'll see more moves like this.
Which is why it won't happen.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are wrong, and Happy New Year to you too. Relatively speaking they get out recruited by the surrounding P5 schools almost every year. They'll get one occasional 4 star and a handful of three stars and that's it. They had one decent year in the Big 12 going 10-3 a couple years ago, everything else has been 500 ball or worse since the Rich Rod and Bill Stewart Big East years ended.

No need to be a d/ck.

One losing season overall since joining the B12 in 2012. Three of seven seasons with losing conf records. Been ranked in six of seven seasons. Lousy in bowl games, going 2 and 5 since joining the B12.

On its face, there was no way WVU could continue to be an alpha dog when trading the big east for schools like Texas and Oklahoma and occasionally competive programs like TT, Iowa St and OSU. And when you stop consistently being a 2 loss team, not surprisingly your recruiting can tail off. WVU could always crush it in the BE selling a near guarantee to win 10 games.

I haven’t taken the time to look at in great depth, but yeah - it does seem their recruiting has stepped back. Still get a lot of dudes though.

Next coach for WV is a bigger deal for them than I realized.

West Virginia Mountaineers Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Have to say these Houston threads have been hilarious.

First they were a disaster when they were doing the right thing.

Now they are heroes for making a hire that is going to go so sideways it’s going to be LOL funny.

I’m not going to make light of the guys issues but you have to be completely nuts to sign up for someone with problems so bad he got run out of West Virginia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom