Happy Holidays!! | The Boneyard

Happy Holidays!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm heading out for festivities with the family for the rest of the weekend and I wanted to wish all of my boneyard family a

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

GO UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! Hope the new year and beyond brings multiple National Championships.

Reaction Score
May the peace and good joy of the season be with you all, all through the year!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Blessings to all of my Jewish friends in this season of light my your way be lit by the miracle of Hanukkah. To all my Christian brothers and sisters may God bless you in the promise of God with us, Emmanuel, and keep you steadfast in His love. To all my friends and acquaintances who do not celebrate these or any particular faith please accept my wishes to all of good will and the hand of friendship. May the God of shepherds and Kings bless us all.

15 hours and three sermons and one baptism to go until I can stop prowling around like a cat on hot coals.

Luminaria now out and ready to light around the outside of the church. Pew candles and window candles all waiting. All the candles inside and out are now lit at 6:30PM. The glow is beautiful.

First service for children and families is over. 7:50 PM about a dozen kids singing in the children's choir for the service and a lot of fun as we found a birthday present for the baby Jesus. The kids were sharp tonight and alert for the questions I had. Three kids helped to unwrap the present within a present within a present.

Now shifting my mindset from sermon 1 to sermon 2 and taking in the silence of the church and the warming up of the harpist who is presenting the prelude concert tonight. As I await the second service, communion and the singing of Ave Maria by our choir director and Silent Night by the congregation by candleight, all is calm. Watching the lighting of the candles spread throughout the congregation from person to person is always peaceful. The concert begins at 9:30PM and worship starts at 10:00. I miss the midnight service of my childhood and the wonder of that night.

Great attendance tonight. 74 for the children's/family service at 7:00 and then 175+ for the 10:00 service. Many, many of "our kids" home for Christmas with all kinds of life changing history going on: marriages, babies, pregnancies, engagements, and more, a lot of excitement. Our youth did an excellent job leading the readings and other parts of worship, college kids at home served communion. Several made Dean's List at school, Hurray!

Some very tough news, too. One couple received word today that their 50 something son is in the last hours of pancreatic cancer. It will be the second son they have lost in three years while the mother's mother struggles on at 102 in the nursing home. Another young man who is 24 got word this week he has his third battle with brain cancer stretching back to when he was 17. Another member passed out at home last night and the EMTs were called but it was decided it was because he had given blood in the afternoon. He was a brilliant engineer who is now struggling with dementia. We had coffee together 5 days a week for about 15 years. It is an odd roller coaster of emotions dealing with the mixture of emotions on a night like this. Next week was supposed to be vacation time but I foresee some tough moments sitting with folks who need real hope. Holidays make it doubly hard for families receiving such news. Emmanuel, God with us in good times and tough times.

Merry Christmas, a baptism and the third sermon in the morning, a moment of intersection between a vulnerable human child and the cosmology of John's Gospel. In the beginning was the Word and not anything was made that was made without the Word. Let us hope the words come readily and can speak real peace to the lives of all those there and whatever may come as all these stories unfold.

As to the baptism, the father is a special ops marine who was wounded twice in Afghanistan, shot through the wrist and the bicep. He is now recovered and still serving our country. His wife is my member and a gifted school administrator. A neat couple. Their wedding was pure Marines, full dress uniforms for all the groomsmen, a sword arch on departing the church and all the trimmings in between. The couple is now stationed out west but came home for the baptism. We did the pre-baptismal counseling using Skype and the internet. Technology may separate us at times but it can, also, bring us together.

Sorry, but I just needed to spin some stuff out to move forward for tomorrow.

Blessings to all and to all a good night. Please remember in your thoughts and prayers that there are many people for whom this season is terribly difficult and whose pain is profound. A hug can be all that is necessary, a word made flesh.

Reaction Score
From here in Tempe, AZ, where it never looks like Christmas, to all the Boneyard, happy holidays to you all!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A Very Merry Christmas to y'all! (I'm in North Carolina with my husband's family)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
All the best to the BY faithful. Stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
To people of all faiths, or lack thereof, may your lives be filled with peace, joy, and love!

To the Huskies, coaches, and staff, best wishes for good health, great basketball, outstanding recruiting, and lots of championships!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Happy Holidays from Amatique Bay, Guatemala where the singing was awful but very endearing and the food and wine were fine. Miss you all and the girls, but will be back in St. Johnsbury in February to resume skiing with Olde Coaches' Tomes in my hip pocket and drives down to Storrs and Hartford not out of the question.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Merry Christmas to everyone that celebrates it. May you have a blessed day and may we all take pause and remember what the true meaning of the day is. For those of you that celebrate Hanukkah, may you also be enjoying this season of miracle.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
God bless Francis Pharcellus Church, Editor of the New York Sun, for assuaging a child's fears and providing us all with this timeless Christmas message. In September of 1897, 8 year old Virginia O'Hanlon wrote a letter-to-the-editor of the New York Sun. She wanted to know if there was a Santa Claus...

Virginia's letter:

Dear Editor, I am 8 years old. 
Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. 
Papa says, "If you see it in The Sun it's so." 
Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O'Hanlon
115 West 95th Street

Francis Church's reply:

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. in this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Blessings to all of my Jewish friends in this season of light my your way be lit by the miracle of Hanukkah. To all my Christian brothers and sisters may God bless you in the promise of God with us, Emmanuel, and keep you steadfast in His love. To all my friends and acquaintances who do not celebrate these or any particular faith please accept my wishes to all of good will and the hand of friendship. May the God of shepherds and Kings bless us all...
Sorry, but I just needed to spin some stuff out to move forward for tomorrow.

Blessings to all and to all a good night. Please remember in your thoughts and prayers that there are many people for whom this season is terribly difficult and whose pain is profound. A hug can be all that is necessary, a word made flesh.

Thank you Ice.

Reaction Score
Best wishes for a very Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year to Boneyarders all across the country. This site and its posters always give me joy through out the year.

Reaction Score
Happy times to one and all, Merry Christmas and a happy new year !! Enjoy the Solstice as the days get longer, spring is just around the corner :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
God bless Francis Pharcellus Church, Editor of the New York Sun, for assuaging a child's fears and providing us all with this timeless Christmas message. In September of 1897, 8 year old Virginia O'Hanlon wrote a letter-to-the-editor of the New York Sun. She wanted to know if there was a Santa Claus...
Thanks, Rep, an excellent reminder of the spirit of old St. Nick and how often it touches our lives.

Reaction Score
I'm heading out for festivities with the family for the rest of the weekend and I wanted to wish all of my boneyard family a

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

GO UCONN!!!
Happy Holidays,enjoy family, and wonderful comment "boneyard family"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member