Happy Holidays Everyone! Now, What Should We Work On During The Break? | The Boneyard

Happy Holidays Everyone! Now, What Should We Work On During The Break?

Reaction Score
We have a nice 11 day stretch before we face Marquette, now #18, and Creighton, now #21, in a 4 day span. So what should we be working on not only for those games but going forward? Here is my list, inclusive of no injuries as always, for both the individual players and then the team, and I am checking it twice!

1) KK practicing her pull up jumper that she used so effectively against TMU.
2) Q working on her defense in switches and in not turning her head on her man.
3) Ice working on her endurance and on pump fakes before shooting underneath.
4) Paige shooting more.
5) Aaliyah working on getting the ball, anticipating the double team, and dishing it out for the 3 or so it can come back in to her.
6) Aubrey to work on her outside shooting including the pull up we rarely see but that we know she has.
7) Ash to work on some fake, dribble and pull up moves.
8) Nika to work on her outside shooting, especially her 3s but also that pull up move she has shown a few times as well and on keeping her turnovers down
9) Amari to bring intensity and aggressiveness to practice so it happens in the games also.
10) Ines to continue to improve ball handling and shooting.

For the team:
1) Boxing out, switching, and communication on defense.
2) Ball movement and movement without the ball constantly on the offensive sets.
3) Start fast especially with the defense without allowing wide open 3s.
4) Getting the ball to Paige on post ups and Ash and Aubrey while cutting, if they are open.
5) Run, run, UCONN and Rudolph too.

All the best.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm going to work on not posting about what Geno and company should work on with the team. I have found that whenever I post my recommendations, that no one on the coaching staff responds. Kinda frustrating. And some BYers don't agree with my recommendations. :rolleyes:
However, I do plan to check in often (due to my OCD).
So, Merry Christmas to all.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Usually they are back on December 26 and that will give them plenty of time to get ready for a December 31 home game. It would be great if they could send a message to the entire Big East in that game against Marquette.

In the meantime I hope that they all think about anything but basketball. It feels like it has been a full season already, with lots of stress, injuries, tough road games, and media focus.

And after the Marquette game they jump in with 9 games in January, 6 of them being conference games on the road and including Notre Dame at home. So, they should kick back for a few days and enjoy. Long road ahead.

Reaction Score
1-- Establish a 3rd consistent scorer. (Ashlynn?)
2-- Paige to be more dominant that just mere dominant.
3-- Aaliyah to be a consistent All-Amercan caliber at both ends.
4-- . Ice (and/or Amari) show aggressiveness tearing down rebounds. :)
5-- Nika and KK be great passing the ball and each to be a defesnvive dynamos.
6--- Nika and Aubery and Ashlynn- score consistently and efficiently.
7-- Ice's shot to improve,
8-- Q to be more than just a stationary 3 point shooter on both ends.

Reaction Score
I'm going to work on not posting about what Geno and company should work on with the team. I have found that whenever I post my recommendations, that no one on the coaching staff responds. Kinda frustrating. And some BYers don't agree with my recommendations. :rolleyes:
I'm shocked, shocked that someone of your basketball acuity is not being consulted on an ongoing basis. Same to you.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Just REST! .....The team, coaches, and fans. Then, when it all begins again, never use the word, REST
again until the season is over!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
We have a nice 11 day stretch before we face Marquette, now #18, and Creighton, now #21, in a 4 day span. So what should we be working on not only for those games but going forward? Here is my list, inclusive of no injuries as always, for both the individual players and then the team, and I am checking it twice!

4) Paige shooting more.
5) Aaliyah working on getting the ball, anticipating the double team, and dishing it out for the 3 or so it can come back in to her.
6) Aubrey to work on her outside shooting including the pull up we rarely see but that we know she has.
8) Nika to work on her outside shooting, especially her 3s but also that pull up move she has shown a few times as well and on keeping her turnovers down
9) Amari to bring intensity and aggressiveness to practice so it happens in the games also.

For the team:
2) Ball movement and movement without the ball constantly on the offensive sets.
4) Getting the ball to Paige on post ups and Ash and Aubrey while cutting, if they are open.

All the best.
Nicely done. Bet the poster has spent more than a few years coaching.

Reaction Score
Love your avatar. Is it relatively new, or is it just that i haven’t been paying attention?

Reaction Score

4) Paige shooting more.

For the team:

All the best.
BBallF I think you covered it all nicely. You had very good points across the board. One point I agree with wholeheartedly is about the pull up jumpers. Paige and Ash have it down. KK is getting better. Ice could be more valuable if she faked the three and went into the basket and then shoot the pull up if defense sags on her. AE could do that more too.
Nika is getting better at the 3 and she drives more this year. However, the pull up jumper would be perfect when she is on a break away or driving to the hoop and it is too crowded to continue in. KK gets stuck in there too deep sometimes too. It might be more productive to Stop & Pop.
Like the NFL--the middle is more open than any other area. Teams can pack it in and they can play tough man on the outside/three. The middle is ripe for more points. Check Ash's points and % on the mid-range pull up. It is off the charts.

Reaction Score
BBallF I think you covered it all nicely. You had very good points across the board. One point I agree with wholeheartedly is about the pull up jumpers. Paige and Ash have it down. KK is getting better. Ice could be more valuable if she faked the three and went into the basket and then shoot the pull up if defense sags on her. AE could do that more too.
Nika is getting better at the 3 and she drives more this year. However, the pull up jumper would be perfect when she is on a break away or driving to the hoop and it is too crowded to continue in. KK gets stuck in there too deep sometimes too. It might be more productive to Stop & Pop.
Like the NFL--the middle is more open than any other area. Teams can pack it in and they can play tough man on the outside/three. The middle is ripe for more points. Check Ash's points and % on the mid-range pull up. It is off the charts.
Terrific post and you also clearly have been or are a coach. I was listening to Rick Pitino shortly after he got the St. John's job and he said that one of the things he wanted to change for his team is the pull up J in the lane because it is an underutilized and forgotten shot that I will at least partially blame AAU for. It seems like the men's game has become the drive, the 3, and post up moves and the women's game is inexorably following it. The pull up J, as you point out with Ash, is perhaps the highest percentage made shot in the game after the layup. It may be higher than the free throw or definitely near it since it counts for 2 points instead of 1 for the FT and thus it only has to be half as efficient which means approximately 35-40% accurate. I am sure it is a lot higher. KK started to shoot it more and Ash and Paige both have it pretty perfect as you say, so that creates a whole other area to create an offense for as a means of attack. If the end result of a set, play, or option off a play or set is to get Ash or KK (Paige would be doubled but if not her too) the ball at the foul line or closer for a catch and shoot, it changes everything for the defense and will open Liyah under and Nika outside.

I played in high school and college as a guard before the 3 point shot so, since all shots counted the same, you wanted to take the closer shots since they were more accurate so I lived off the pull up after a pick. KK is so fast she can create her own openings. Ash moves so well without the ball she can get to that shot as well but needs to work on the fake, then dribble moves to create. Paige is Paige and probably had that move before she even knew she had it.

The middle is the place as you have noted with no small amount of perspicacity. I am not being sarcastic. Sometimes it takes a trained eye to see the obvious things in basketball. When I was in high school, my JV coach played the point for Seattle U. with Elgin Baylor. He ran a drill on a 3 on 2 fast break where the middle player had to pull up at the foul line to take a jumper not to suck in the defensive player and pass. Very unorthodox but it taught you to get vertical and squared up, like Ash and Paige do, even at break neck speeds. Anyway, I am very happy you see what I see and I am sure Geno does too.

I like this team so much now that I am beyond the stress and worry about their season. With a full roster I would have been on edge every game for a win for a perfect or close to perfect record and a return to the FF and an NC. Now I just want to see them play well. The beauty of lowered expectations.

Reaction Score
Looks like Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse, of course, of courser, but no one can talk to a horse, of course,... unless of course the
horse is the wonderful MR. ED! My favorite quote of Mr. Ed: " Yell, don't hit, Wilbur!"

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A horse is a horse, of course, of courser, but no one can talk to a horse, of course,... unless of course the
horse is the wonderful MR. ED! My favorite quote of Mr. Ed: " Yell, don't hit, Wilbur!"
And, just as with our centerstream, Mr Ed will never talk unless he has something to say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom