Happy 77-74! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Happy 77-74!

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
DEC2089F-4269-4B0A-8E9D-184EA0D4CC67.jpeg

Reaction Score
Not to overstate it's importance, but, honestly, can you think of a sports moment that affected you and brought you more joy than that one night in 1999? Personally, it means more to me than the Miracle on Ice, and that's saying something. I will never forget where I was, who I was with, or the sheer joy I felt when Langdon fell to the floor and it was over. I have goosbumps just thinking about it.

Reaction Score
I was sitting in the top row of the bottom deck and in my pool I had us beating Duke 75 - 74. Khalid goes to the line with 5.4 seconds to go and I said to my brother who I was sitting with what I had in my pool so I said do I want him to make them or miss, I said screw the pool - make them. I still won the pool, $1600.00. 80 people were in it. What a night, never hugged so many people in my life.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Everyone talks about el Amin’s “we shocked the world”, but something about Rash’s “oh my god” has always stood out to me. Just a fantastically underrated moment of the whole thing.

Reaction Score
Everyone talks about el Amin’s “we shocked the world”, but something about Rash’s “oh my god” has always stood out to me. Just a fantastically underrated moment of the whole thing.

Agree and Jake just standing stunned like "what just happened" with tears beginning. Things in and after that game that will live on forever. Especially the chills and tears whenever I watch videos of it.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Not to overstate it's importance, but, honestly, can you think of a sports moment that affected you and brought you more joy than that one night in 1999? Personally, it means more to me than the Miracle on Ice, and that's saying something. I will never forget where I was, who I was with, or the sheer joy I felt when Langdon fell to the floor and it was over. I have goosbumps just thinking about it.
For me, ‘99 is up there with the Sox ‘04, Pats ‘02 and the Miracle on Ice.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I was sitting in the top row of the bottom deck and in my pool I had us beating Duke 75 - 74. Khalid goes to the line with 5.4 seconds to go and I said to my brother who I was sitting with what I had in my pool so I said do I want him to make them or miss, I said screw the pool - make them. I still won the pool, $1600.00. 80 people were in it. What a night, never hugged so many people in my life.
There was nobody on that team I wanted taking those FTs more than KEA.
Nobody.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
And underrated(by some) play at the end of the game was Moore locking up Avery following El Amin’s second FT(left side screen grab). That forced the lumbering Langdon to “rush” the ball up court. He looked like an old man.
938255D3-997F-4116-BF3F-F8E522AE1FFC.jpeg
of.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I received a basketball autographed by the 99 team the morning we left for Tampa. Just threw in my trunk and drove down. I still believe I could have sold that thing for $5000 within the first hour after the game.

Reaction Score
By anyone's standard, minus Duke I guess, should be, objectively, one of the best national championships but does not get as much love as it deserves. Awesome game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Sox '04.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Before that game it was nothing but bitter losses and gut punches. Since then, my historical top 3 teams have averaged 3 titles every 4 years.

Reaction Score
And didn’t Dogfather, too? And something about Beneduke and pizza gate?

It always comes back to pizza, doesn’t it?

Perhaps you can regale the young’uns here with the back story? I was in St. Pete and not on the board much then and I’m hazy on the details.

The ESPN Bracket Challenge that year was sponsored by Pizza Hut. We set up a group for the Boneyard. When you viewed the standings, you could see at the far right who everyone selected as Champion.

Dove, Dogfather and 3 others had Duke beating UConn in the final game.

Dogfather was a guy who was a really avid poster back in the day and he took the brunt of it. We renamed him BeneDuke Arnold, Dukefather, etc. Dove slid away relatively unharmed....except that now he's the only one who still posts and, like I said, the Yard never forgets.

The other thing to keep in mind here? This place was teeming with superstitions back then. You think we have our little peccadilloes now like the Haiku and Doooooooooomed? God, it was tough sledding back then. Wings and Rolling Rocks every game. I was at the Big East Tourney finals against Pitt and a former poster (Kras) found some kitchen in MSG that gave him a raw potato because when UConn got behind and didn't look good, he would "eat of the potato" and chomp off a big chunk of it for good luck. Point being, these guys picking Duke over UConn in the game was high crime and really bad for the Mojo.

Dove. 20+ years later, you're still a lily-livered turncoat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom