Hana Muhl | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hana Muhl

Reaction Score
Former wife hailed from Wisconsin and their cheese was excellent…but whenever the in-laws departed they always took a box of Vermont cheddar and a couple gallons of pure Vermont maple syrup. The explanation of Green Mountain cheese superiority was that Vermont dairy cows were better cuz they were more healthy from climbing around on all those beautiful hillsides. Dunno…but I swear a group of us once thought we saw a family of Holsteins renting skis at Bromley. Might be mistaken.
Stopped at Cabot’s today on our way back from Isle La Motte for a few favorites.

Attachments

• 311BCD57-D978-4557-9056-C332E0D4D435.jpeg
    311BCD57-D978-4557-9056-C332E0D4D435.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 186
Reaction Score
Is the "immediate eligibility" rule the same for a decommiting player as for a "first-time transfer" player?
Hanna has not signed a NLI so she is just a typical international first time recruit.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'll have to start following Ball State: mastcot, Conference, and..
when GENO will schedule the duel !!! Maybe a preseason
scrimmage in Storrs??
Image a Muhl on on Muhl!!!!
that's worth the price of admission ( or a live stream! ).
Go Croatians! Z
Unfortunately, don't believe you can do D1 preseason scrimmage games. (maybe behind closed doors - with practice jerseys)

Reaction Score
Which doesn't answer my question but thanks anyway.

Although I am not 100% sure, I don't think it's considered a transfer. So, she would be immediately eligible and and to transfer with the one time exception.

sun

Reaction Score
Is the "immediate eligibility" rule the same for a decommiting player as for a "first-time transfer" player?

A transfer is a transfer and to decommit is to decommit.
They are different.
After an NLI contract for an athletic scholarship /financial aid has been signed, the school must release the player or else the player risks needing to sit out a year and possibly losing a year of eligibility.

IMO one of the differences between the two is whether the student started to attend school or received any of the contractual benefits yet.
Also, signing an NLI stops the recruiting process because the student promises to stop communication with other colleges.

"If you change your mind after you sign and want to “decommit” to the college, you risk losing one year of eligibility at your new school, and must sit a year of residence and not compete."

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
A transfer is a transfer and to decommit is to decommit.
They are different.
After an NLI contract for an athletic scholarship /financial aid has been signed, the school must release the player or else the player risks needing to sit out a year and possibly losing a year of eligibility.

IMO one of the differences between the two is whether the student started to attend school or received any of the contractual benefits yet.
Also, signing an NLI stops the recruiting process because the student promises to stop communication with other colleges.

"If you change your mind after you sign and want to “decommit” to the college, you risk losing one year of eligibility at your new school, and must sit a year of residence and not compete."

I know the difference between a transfer and a commitment. I only mentioned "transfer" because of my use of "immediate eligibility". I was under the impression that once a player commits (signed NLI), if the player subsequently decommits, that at one time, they would have to sit out one season...if their original school didn't release them from their NLI. This could be misinformation (sitting out a year) but it is something I read here on the BY a long, long time ago, pre portal immediate eligibility changes. Thus my original question.

sun

Reaction Score
Hanna has not signed a NLI so she is just a typical international first time recruit.
IDK know for certain if she actually signed a NLI (National Letter of Intent) or not, but the University of Illinois
Urbana-Champaign is a NLI participating school which relies on that document to establish a commitment between a recruited athlete and the school.

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

From this list of all NLI member schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hoping these four can all spend some time together stateside next season. The Muhl parents can catch a few games watching their girls play for there respective squads. I don't recall hearing of them making it over for any of Nika's games the last two season's although Darko (their dad) regularly posts on twitter about both Nika and Hana. Both parents were bball players who left the sport due to injuries (as I understand it). Nika would probably love to have her parents at a game. Maybe senior year Geno can schedule a head to head matchup for the sisters!
EBNFaMHX4AYkQty.jpeg

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Good looking family, hope everything works out for Hana. Nika already has a ton of supporters.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Darko is a coach on one of the better teams and has coached Nika and Hana.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure she did and had to be released. She is a 2022 recruit.

You are correct. She signed a NLI back in November with Illinois. For her to be able to play this year, she would need a waiver from Illinois, which I imagine she got.

Reaction Score
Although I am not 100% sure, I don't think it's considered a transfer. So, she would be immediately eligible and and to transfer with the one time exception.

It's not a transfer, but she would only be immediately eligible with a waiver from Illinois.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, don't believe you can do D1 preseason scrimmage games. (maybe behind closed doors - with practice jerseys)

You can do up to two D1 preseason scrimmages. Must be behind closed doors, but no need for practice jerseys. Players can wear regular uniforms. It can be treated as a regular game or the coaches can agree to do different situational things, or both. Unfortunately no streaming allowed and no media.

Reaction Score
Which doesn't answer my question but thanks anyway.
Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Your statement "once a player commits (signed NLI), if the player subsequently decommits" is a bit strange. Once a player signs a NLI, and the NLI is accepted by the school, they are not longer a commit they have transitioned in their classification to a signed player. A signed and accepted player cannot decommit. A player can only decommit before the signed NLI is accepted. They may petition the school to be released from their NLI but at that point it is up to the school.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Your statement "once a player commits (signed NLI), if the player subsequently decommits" is a bit strange. Once a player signs a NLI, and the NLI is accepted by the school, they are not longer a commit they have transitioned in their classification to a signed player. A signed and accepted player cannot decommit. A player can only decommit before the signed NLI is accepted. They may petition the school to be released from their NLI but at that point it is up to the school.
I beg to differ...many announcements in April about players decommitting from the schools that were given a signed NLI by them.

Example is the OP of this thread. Of course I am assuming that Hana signed a NLI and Illinois accepted it.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ...many announcements in April about players decommitting from the schools that were given a signed NLI by them.

Example is the OP of this thread. Of course I am assuming that Hana signed a NLI and Illinois accepted it.
You are correct that Hanna signed with Illinois

So in November 2021 she signed a contract with Illinois to play basketball in 2022-23. She was no longer a commit but a signed player. She had to be let out of her contract by the University in order to play somewhere else. If she is released and has never played, then she again becomes a recruit. Now she is committed, but not signed at Ball State.

Reaction Score

“Decommitting”is not a term officially used by the National Letter of Intent organization or the NCAA in this context - but it is widely used by athletes, fans, and the media.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
“Decommitting”is not a term officially used by the National Letter of Intent organization or the NCAA in this context - but it is widely used by athletes, fans, and the media.
Must be a few lawyers here. I was under the impression that once a player commits (signed NLI), if the player subsequently decommits, that at one time, they would have to sit out one season...if their original school didn't release them from their NLI.
I only wanted to know if this was a true statement.

Reaction Score
Must be a few lawyers here. I was under the impression that once a player commits (signed NLI), if the player subsequently decommits, that at one time, they would have to sit out one season...if their original school didn't release them from their NLI.
I only wanted to know if this was a true statement.
I already confirmed that it was a true statement. Just wanted to point out that because a player uses the term in a tweet does not mean it is used accurately.

Reaction Score
The Ball State women's basketball Web Page has a welcoming note announcing
that Hana Muhl is a future Cardinal to be. I think the Ball State Athletic Department
has appropriately " sealed the deal ". The announcement gives a good summary
of Hana's time with the Croatian National Teams , U 14, U16, U18 as well as her
awards and as a member of the U 17 Team ( that was confusing to me, but that is how I
read it.) She was the MVP for one of her many international competitions. There was
also from very nice comments from the Ball State Head Coach. See the BALL STATE
web page for exact details. Z

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Now this thread makes sense. NIL .neq. NLI. :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads