Hampton beats LSU | The Boneyard

Hampton beats LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Wow is right. Maybe Ms. Caldwell is not the up and coming coach some think she is.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hampton is undefeated so far. They've beaten Southern Miss, Miss State, and now this. They still have games vs South Carolina and Depaul before the end of the year.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
LSU shot 30%, had 5 assists and 23 turnovers. Sounds familiar.

Also, they managed to beat Wichita State by 2 in their home opener. Could be a tough year for LSU.

Reaction Score
Wow is right. Maybe Ms. Caldwell is not the up and coming coach some think she is.
As one person who used to think she was the "cats meow" my prior opinion of her coaching is coming into question. Perhaps her perspective of the importance of coaching in her life has changed along with her personal situation. One of her strengths that she brought to her teams was her passion for the love of the game. It seems that perhaps that is now missing?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Alyssa Bennett is an AA caliber talent.

One thing that bothers me about the MEAC is with the expansion... Hampton doesn't even play NC A&T at all in the regular season. They didnt play them last season either. I would have liked to see Hampton in person.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Count me as one of those who thinks Caldwell is WAY overrated. She had zero recruiting success at UCLA - she inherited kids who were highly rated, but here is her top recruit each year at UCLA...
  1. 2008 - #19 Nyingifa
  2. 2009 - #4 Walker
  3. 2010 - no one in top 100
  4. 2011 - #25 Swain
To make matters worse, the last season after she left UCLA, the Bruins were 14-16, which was a team comprised of 100% of her own kids she'd recruited. She then goes to LSU and the best kid she can recruit is #25 Ballard, and in 2013 the best is #18 Moncrief.

She's not recruiting any better at LSU than she was at UCLA and the SEC is a way better division. I never understood all the hoopla around her except for that she looked stunning and classy as a HC...

Reaction Score
Eric: In all fairness the last year she coached her team was beset by major injuries to her better players. Jasmine Dixon being an example of someone who was lost for the year. Dixon was a beast, an unstoppable inside threat who was especially important for a running team that lacked height. Remember she was a transfer from Rutgers but very highly rated coming out of high school. When the lost her their season was over.

Caldwell strength was that she brought out the best effort in her players. She was almost Knute Rockne-ish. her teams as opposed to USC always overachieved. Considering what she ended up to work with her last season could be labeled as such also.
Just speculating but I believe that her recently becoming a mother might have changed her perspective and priorities so that now basketball is not her entire focus. This would impact her more than most because her strength as a coach was the passion she instilled into her teams.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Ditto on the Wow.

Hampton was 26-4 last year, but the record is deceiving, they didn't play much of a schedule. Their scoring defense was very good last year, good enough to be the third best in NCAA history (behind UConn, and , uh, UConn.). Again, strength of opponent figures in, so they are coming along nicely, but this is still a big step up.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Back in the day I believe it was Hampton who played UConn in Gampel in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
UConn routed them and after the game the Hampton band played some serious R&B music to which several UConn kids came out of the lockerroom and danced. Swin was involved so it was during that era.

Post game Geno announced that UConn was only the second best team in the gym that night.

Reaction Score

How dare anyone dish the most popular choice for the next LV head coach after Warlick flops, according to fans on the Orange board.

Reaction Score
I watched a few of Hampton's games last year and they looked pretty good.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Hampton AND Howard are not to be taken likely. Coaches getting the most out of their talent.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wall - I don't doubt she brings passion out of her teams. Most decent to good coaches do. But some orange fans were hailing her as the next big thing to take over at tennessee, and aside from Markel Walker (who actually verbaled to Pitt and ultimately transferred to UCLA, which I don't even know if it had anything to do with Caldwell), she's not gotten another real quality recruit... ever.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A suprise to see this happen. I have thought that someday that Tyler could return and coach at Tennessee. I know he is just getting his coaching carrer going.

Reaction Score
A suprise to see this happen. I have thought that someday that Tyler could return and coach at Tennessee. I know he is just getting his coaching carrer going.

?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I mean the loss by LSU was the suprise. I mentioned Tyler as being a possible future coach at Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I assume you're talking about Tyler Summitt. He's at Marquette right? Dont understand his connection to Hampton def LSU.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I assume you're talking about Tyler Summitt. He's at Marquette right? Dont understand his connection to Hampton def LSU.
Yes I am talking about Tyler Summitt. I mentioned him because some had opinions about Caldwell being head coach Tennessee. I am just saying that I just thought that some day he could possibly coach at Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Yes I am talking about Tyler Summitt. I mentioned him because some had opinions about Caldwell being head coach Tennessee. I am just saying that I just thought that some day he could possibly coach at Tennessee.

Ahh. Was not catchign the connection.

Reaction Score
UCLA hadnt been relevant in over a decade and Nikki Caldwell got them back to the top 25 and the NCAA tournament. And many thought they were on the verge of challenging Stanford. That earned kudos in my book.

It's the early season. WTF losses happen.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UCLA hadnt been relevant in over a decade and Nikki Caldwell got them back to the top 25 and the NCAA tournament. And many thought they were on the verge of challenging Stanford. That earned kudos in my book.

It's the early season. WTF losses happen.

The UCLA fans have a different view and I hope wallman chimes in. Even before she left for LSU, Bruin fans were unimpressed with her offense and her recruiting efforts. She never addressed UCLA's biggest recruiting needs and left town before those chickens came home to roost. Most Bruin fans do concede that both effort and defense were better under Caldwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom