hamilton write up from the nike academy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

hamilton write up from the nike academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The problem is that doing lower body exercises suck and make it hard to practice. If he loves scrimmaging, then he probably feels like lifting heavy lower body takes away from that. However, that's a short term view point because as he gets more advanced, then working hard to improve weak points is more important than improving strong points.

I think the feedback from scouts about needing to improve strength will spur him to focus more on that.
Don't you think strength and conditioning know better and could easily explain that confusion away

Reaction Score
There's a balance to be had here. You'd rather guys reach their potential while still at UConn and make the team better, but if they stay too long because they can't get drafted early, that doesn't make us an attractive landing spot for top recruits.

If Hamilton (and everyone else) comes back for a 3rd year, we have a legitimate national championship contender in 2017. That would be phenomenal.

If Hamilton comes back for a 4th year because his draft stock isn't where it needs to be, the team may be better than if he left, but that would raise serious doubts about Ollie's ability to get guys to the league and would harm future recruiting of blue-chippers.

2 years and a 1st-round or lotto pick would be good for 2016, bad for the 2017, and great for future recruiting.
3 years and a 1st-round or lotto pick would be OK for 2016, great for 2017, and decent for future recruiting.
4 years and a non-lottery pick would be good for 2016-2018, but bad for future recruiting.

Reaction Score
^ TL;DR ... cohenzone thinks recruits don't care about whether players at a school develop into pros fast, despite plenty of uconns recent target notings uconns history in producing pros a major factor in their interest level. Also fyi it isn't 'my schedule', its his timeline. 4 year players rarely get drafted in the lottery and go on to be successes.

I think the "players in the league" reasoning is mostly overblown. 95% of the time these guys are going to the school that has the coach they like the most.

6 out of Rivals' top 10 recruiting classes last year had a combined 1 lottery pick in the last 5 years. Obviously Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky recruit really well, their coaches are arguably the three best in the sport.

The coach or assistant coaches being good at recruiting far outweighs anything else.

Reaction Score
Don't you think strength and conditioning know better and could easily explain that confusion away

kids have to be motivated to improve their bodies. Eating is a large component of that and is mostly on the athlete. Even the S and C coaches can only do so much in the weight room. There has to be internal motivation.

Reaction Score
kids have to be motivated to improve their bodies. Eating is a large component of that and is mostly on the athlete. Even the S and C coaches can only do so much in the weight room. There has to be internal motivation.
This wasn't about DHam not gaining weight necessarily. It's about his not developing a lower body. That is a basic misconception that can be explained away. I don't think it's a motivation issue.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't care what he does in these camps. I only care what he does while in a UConn uniform - basketball wise.
Anyone who thinks - barring a huge injury - that DHam will not get drafted at some point is just kidding themselves.
The kid has too much bball spunk and with more experience he will be more consistent and his shooting percentage will go up. We all know has a nose for the ball.

Reaction Score
This wasn't about DHam not gaining weight necessarily. It's about his not developing a lower body. That is a basic misconception that can be explained away. I don't think it's a motivation issue.

Not sure what you mean by "that is a basic misconception that can be explained away". I don't know what his motivation levels are, but it is extremely hard for many people to eat huge amounts of food every day. A lot of people feel like crap all day when eating say 4000+ calories. There's a very realistic chance that this is his situation.

Reaction Score
not really the biggest fan of draft net, but aran smith is definitely credible and is close with many nba scouts. anything he writes is pretty legit from an evaluation stand point. This also confirms why nobody was talking about dham during the three day camp...

Dhams lack of body development is concerning, if i recall correctly he said something to the tune of 'i dont lift ,i just do push ups' when he was like a junior/senior in hs. And @Sportsman5 got into with other posters, talking about how doing a ton of push ups the wrong way would be detrimental to him, and not really efficient. He looks about the same size as he did coming in as a freshman...hoping this isn't a daniels situation where he doesn't change at all physically and loses all his blue chip aura. pretty crucial KO is able to develop him as his first big prospect.
UCONN plays in the NCAA's, not the NBA. The kid will get bigger and better. Not all at once.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
There's a balance to be had here. You'd rather guys reach their potential while still at UConn and make the team better, but if they stay too long because they can't get drafted early, that doesn't make us an attractive landing spot for top recruits.

If Hamilton (and everyone else) comes back for a 3rd year, we have a legitimate national championship contender in 2017. That would be phenomenal.

If Hamilton comes back for a 4th year because his draft stock isn't where it needs to be, the team may be better than if he left, but that would raise serious doubts about Ollie's ability to get guys to the league and would harm future recruiting of blue-chippers.
As long as you have something to be deeply concerned about. I'd be worried if you didn't.

Reaction Score
Whatever.

DHam is a basketball player period. However long it takes he will be a good NBA player and will get his chance. If he has a standout year this year and improves on what he needs to they will forget this camp and he will be thrown back into the draft guru's everyday discussions. No matter, he will be a very good player for us. He can pass, shoot, get to the hole and rebound for sure. Defense got better as did his handle only because at the end of the year he made better decisions. He has a great understanding of the game which will take him a long way. Hell half the guys who have the length and athleticism this jamoke is looking for tends to keep them out of the NBA or having short-lived careers - why? Because they never get it!

He can be a Husky for as long as it takes for him to put himself in position to make some money - until then we will all be very happy!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Whatever.

DHam is a basketball player period. However long it takes he will be a good NBA player and will get his chance. If he has a standout year this year and improves on what he needs to they will forget this camp and he will be thrown back into the draft guru's everyday discussions. No matter, he will be a very good player for us. He can pass, shoot, get to the hole and rebound for sure. Defense got better as did his handle only because at the end of the year he made better decisions. He has a great understanding of the game which will take him a long way. Hell half the guys who have the length and athleticism this jamoke is looking for tends to keep them out of the NBA or having short-lived careers - why? Because they never get it!

He can be a Husky for as long as it takes for him to put himself in position to make some money - until then we will all be very happy!

Agreed 100%. His style isn't conducive to one-on-one drills; he'll always look better in-game.

Reaction Score
i hope Dham puts this write up in his locker.. should be very motivating.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by "that is a basic misconception that can be explained away".
You inferred as to why he wasn't hitting his legs
The problem is that doing lower body exercises suck and make it hard to practice. If he loves scrimmaging, then he probably feels like lifting heavy lower body takes away from that.
Which is obviously not be best mindset, but something that the staff should be able to explain away.

Reaction Score
Whatever.

Agree. Why do people get upset when a negative (or non positive) article is written about our player(s)/team? Many times its turned into fuel for the season. The writer doesn't see what others see, so what? Yesterday and today's Hamilton will not be the 2016 or 2017 version, that's whats exciting. We have had so many Hamiltons' at UConn that we know what's coming. Emeka, AJP and Bazz are great examples, players getting better and better, fulfilling their potential. I'm just waiting to see the 'confident' Hamilton emerge, then opponents will have a huge problem to contend with.

Anyway there is one way for him to prove the writer wrong (if it even matters). Remember KFree's on-court response to being left off the all BE teams? Or Kemba's response to not being named BE POY?

I say keep the 'haters' coming, some players and teams thrive on it, which we here at UConn know all too well.

Reaction Score
Kid's bread and butter is old man game. Don't need him to Blake Griffin or anything.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
The kid is still very young. I expect big things from him this year. I wish him the best. I would have NO problem with him staying another year after this coming season. Kid is a playmaker and has a fantastic nose for the basketball. I think a team of DHam, Purvis, Adams, Gilbert etc would be AMAZING in 16-17.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom