Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 64 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
IF this talk turns out to be true, I think people are jumping the gun with him going to NBA after his 1 semester. In my opinion if he comes in the coming weeks it will end up being the best of both worlds, a scenario most didn't even consider conceivable a few weeks ago.

He comes here and plays for one semester in a team he is comfortable with that is essentially in a lost, no expectations season. He gets all his "raw, freshman" jitters out of the way this semester with post-season experience as well. Then next year I'd expect he returns for his "sophomore" year and we hit the ground running with a healthy squad and a Diallo that is effectively a sophomore with major play experience under his belt. I see him as more of a "1.5 and done" over "0.5" and done like some are surmising.

This really could be the absolute best case scenario for UConn+Diallo going forward if it comes to fruition.

Last edited:

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
To be eligible to play, no, he wouldn't have to ever go to a class.

But yes, that would hurt our APR if he wasn't in good standing upon leaving and getting drafted.
I'm almost 100% certain that this is not true. If he's not in good academic standing and he does NOT get drafted or graduate, then that would hurt our APR. However, if he goes to the league, the APR doesn't count towards or against us. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's a true statement.

EDIT: I was wrong. It only doesn't hurt us if he leaves in good academic standing: The NCAA does adjust APR, on a student-by-student basis, in two circumstances. One exception that can be made, is for student-athletes who leave prior to graduation, while in good academic standing, to pursue a professional career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm almost 100% certain that this is not true. If he's not in good academic standing and he does NOT get drafted or graduate, then that would hurt our APR. However, if he goes to the league, the APR doesn't count towards or against us. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's a true statement.

If he gets below a certain GPA (I believe 2.0) then he counts against UConn in the APR.

The only hedge for UConn is that he would count as an 0-for-1 instead of an 0-for-2 because he'd only be there one semester.

So there's that.

He'd obviously have to attend class--like all the other players.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Anyone seen him play enough to speak to whether he can defend? Can he shutdown a chair? Stay in front of real players?
Also while I'm asking, how good of a handle does he have? He can contribute right away if he can handle the ball well, defend pretty well, and dunk many times a game.
I'm hoping we find this information out in 20 minutes.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
This isn't going over well in Kentucky.

A tweet:
Eric Murphy ‏@emurphy24 1h1 hour ago
Diallo playing for uconn next semester is such bs...

Over on 247, they are bashing Hamidou badly and also UConn. Hamidou, Kentucky fans say, is not a very good player. UConn is done as a program.

Of course they are bitter and should be after they were denied twice by the Huskies in the FF.

Reaction Score
This isn't going over well in Kentucky.

A tweet:
Eric Murphy ‏@emurphy24 1h1 hour ago
Diallo playing for uconn next semester is such bs...

Over on 247, they are bashing Hamidou badly and also UConn. Hamidou, Kentucky fans say, is not a very good player. UConn is done as a program.

Saw this myself over there last night. Some UConn fan went on to talk basketball and the Kentucky fans just swarmed together to throw insults at the program. I get it, we aren't having the best start to the year. But the bully mentality over there was asinine.

C

Chief00

It will probably impact Purvis' and Adams' minutes more than anyone else. Vance plays the 3 and 4, which we will still be thin at even with Diallo chipping in some at the 3.

Jackson is not going to improve this year, so if I were him I wouldn't worry about minutes. He just to keep getting better because the team will be much more dependent on his scoring next year.
You keep Adams and Diallo on the floor.

Reaction Score
Saw this myself over there last night. Some UConn fan went on to talk basketball and the Kentucky fans just swarmed together to throw insults at the program. I get it, we aren't having the best start to the year. But the bully mentality over there was asinine.

Any Uconn fan who goes to Rupp Rafters and attempts to engage UK fans in rational discourse is out of their goshdarn mind. Especially after the Hami news.

Reaction Score
JA
RP
HD
KF
AB

That is a strong starting 5 if HD plays like we think he can

Beyond that we know CV will back up 1-2 and SE some 4-5 and they will likely get VJ some minutes at times and he'll play based on how he's shooting it that day

You keep Adams and Diallo on the floor.

Reaction Score
Huh, CV and VJ are both shooting < 30% from 3. You think Diallo wouldn't start immediately in place of either VJ or CV? Even Mau would agree with this.

JA
HD
RP
KF
AB
So your saying that Hami is a better shooter than Vance? He is a better player than Vance, imo, but not shooter.

Reaction Score
I have only seen him two times but agree with James that he is not going to make a huge difference in the record. He will be a competent body that they can throw out there and can help be the guy that flashes to foul line when we face the litany of zones that we will see when conference play starts. He is very explosive and will help for sure on defense and will shore up some of our rebounding deficiency on defensive end since he rebounds well for a 2/3.

Acclimating him in middle of conference play is going to be interesting should this unfold with a commitment from him by this weekend or in the next day or two….

Reaction Score
I have only seen him two times but agree with James that he is not going to make a huge difference in the record. He will be a competent body that they can throw out there and can help be the guy that flashes to foul line when we face the litany of zones that we will see when conference play starts. He is very explosive and will help for sure on defense and will shore up some of our rebounding deficiency on defensive end since he rebounds well for a 2/3.

Acclimating him in middle of conference play is going to be interesting should this unfold with a commitment from him by this weekend or in the next day or two….

If he can play Rodney's position and drive and finish, he will have opportunities to score. If he plays good D and gets out on the break, he will have even more opportunities. And Rodney will complement him well with outside shooting.

I see VJ as being the one most effected by this, and I also think adding Diallo will help Jalen immensely by allowing him to play off the ball more when Vital is in.

Reaction Score
No, not necessarily, but maybe not much worse since Vance isn't very good either. HD can do so much more on the floor so no way Vance or CV would play over him.

So your saying that Hami is a better shooter than Vance? He is a better player than Vance, imo, but not shooter.

Reaction Score
Official visit tomorrow, i'm guessing thats when we will hear the news. The idea of him playing in the auburn game is bananas , scouts will be flocking to xl center to see both of diallo and wiley.

agreed -- it's almost impossible to imagine this whole thing turning around that quick. at the same time though, it really seems like ollie has had this whole thing up his sleeve for a while. super exciting!

i'm EXTREMELY curious to see how diallo gets shuffled into the lineup, assuming he does choose to come here for the upcoming semester. how easily is going to be able to jump into the college game, and onto a new team?

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't think it's realistic that he plays in the Auburn game. But I do think it's possible if he signs tomorrow. He just won't have practiced with the team yet.

Seems more likely he'd sign Thursday, be in streets on Friday, and practicing leading up to the AAC season start.

Reaction Score
So, if you changed CV with Malik Monk it wouldn't affect UK's record or CV with Dennis Smith @ NC State there would be no difference?

Not saying HD is equal these guys, just that he's a million times more explosive than CV right now.

Reaction Score
IF this talk turns out to be true, I think people are jumping the gun with him going to NBA after his 1 semester. In my opinion if he comes in the coming weeks it will end up being the best of both worlds, a scenario most didn't even consider conceivable a few weeks ago.

He comes here and plays for one semester in a team he is comfortable with that is essentially in a lost, no expectations season. He gets all his "raw, freshman" jitters out of the way this semester with post-season experience as well. Then next year I'd expect he returns for his "sophomore" year and we hit the ground running with a healthy squad and a Diallo that is effectively a sophomore with major play experience under his belt. I see him as more of a "1.5 and done" over "0.5" and done like some are surmising.

This really could be the absolute best case scenario for UConn+Diallo going forward if it comes to fruition.
Perhaps. However, I think if scouts tell him during the combine that he's a lock first round pick (I suspect they will) that he's gone after this semester. The NBA talks were getting louder and louder. Obviously would be nice to get him for 1.5 but I don't see it.

Only way I see him returning for next year as well is akin to Adams' situation. They declare and scouts say, "Yeah you could get taken late first, but go back for a year and you're a surefire lottery pick with a thinner '18 draft."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any Uconn fan who goes to Rupp Rafters and attempts to engage UK fans in rational discourse is out of their goshdarn mind. Especially after the Hami news.

Overall Wins: Kentucky - 1; Connecticut - 4 | Official Wins: Kentucky - 1; Connecticut - 4 | (*)
bluebar.gif

Date Game Result Score Notes
4/7/2014 Kentucky vs. Connecticut L 54 - 60 NCAA Championship (at Arlington, TX)
4/2/2011 (#11) Kentucky vs. (#9) Connecticut L 55 - 56 NCAA Final Four (at Houston, TX)
11/24/2010 (#8) Kentucky vs. Connecticut L 67 - 84 Maui Classic Invitational (at Lahaina, HI)
12/9/2009 (#4) Kentucky vs. (#14) Connecticut W 64 - 61 SEC/Big East Invitational (at New York, NY)
3/19/2006 Kentucky vs. (#2) Connecticut L 83 - 87 NCAA Washington D.C. Regional Second Round (at Philadelphia, PA)

Someone just post that over on their thread an tell them to shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom