hami breakdowns the 6 schools recruiting him | Page 3 | The Boneyard

hami breakdowns the 6 schools recruiting him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its funny that people can simplify the concept of "TV exposure" down to a simple count of how many games we have shown on ESPN/CBS.

I guess that would mean that The Big Bang Theory and whatever new show CBS is about to cancel get the same "TV exposure" right? Both shows have one weekly slot for their new episodes, or is it that one show has way more eyeballs on it? Are people tuning in to see UConn vs Memphis just because its on ESPN2 while Duke-Virginia is on ESPN? The answer is no.

No one (I hope) is going to argue against what you are saying. I don't remember seeing that...There are a several schools which get much better TV exposure due to the caliber of their opponents. But our exposure is still pretty good, and isn't going to be a deciding factor to a recruit unless they are being linked to the UK, Duke, UNCs of the world.

Reaction Score
Its funny that people can simplify the concept of "TV exposure" down to a simple count of how many games we have shown on ESPN/CBS.

I guess that would mean that The Big Bang Theory and whatever new show CBS is about to cancel get the same "TV exposure" right? Both shows have one weekly slot for their new episodes, or is it that one show has way more eyeballs on it? Are people tuning in to see UConn vs Memphis just because its on ESPN2 while Duke-Virginia is on ESPN? The answer is no.

UConn's ratings are pretty good. I excepted Duke and Kentucky in this. But UConn's are comparable to other top schools. The record doesn't lie. UConn's games are typically .5 to 1 rating. Look up Arizona, Syracuse, Michigan St. Same. UConn also has a CBS game with excellent ratings.

Take the Jimmy V Classic: .9 Duke/Florida, .7 UConn/Maryland.

Even the UConn women, BTW, get higher ratings nationally than the vast majority of P5 schools. .5 or .6.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
No one (I hope) is going to argue against what you are saying. I don't remember seeing that...There are a several schools which get much better TV exposure due to the caliber of their opponents. But our exposure is still pretty good, and isn't going to be a deciding factor to a recruit unless they are being linked to the UK, Duke, UNCs of the world.
Maybe not, but also maybe.

You are an elite recruit, basketball is your life. You have been watching college ball for years because its bball and that will be you soon. You are deciding where to go play, in the past UConn had the BET in MSG as a big draw, how else did our recruiting come up from literally nothing in the early days, its a draw. Now you are considering the current UConn team, and you have to decide between being a part of the UConn-Cinci annual "biggest game/rivalry of the conference" or be part of the Duke-UNC rivalry storyline, or the UK-vs whoever in the annual champions classic matchup, and the choice starts to seem more like a "deciding factor" slowly and surely as the number of those recruiting you heavily gets slimmed down to your top options.

Reaction Score

You are an elite recruit, basketball is your life. You have been watching college ball for years because its bball and that will be you soon. You are deciding where to go play, in the past UConn had the BET in MSG as a big draw, how else did our recruiting come up from literally nothing in the early days, its a draw. Now you are considering the current UConn team, and you have to decide between being a part of the UConn-Cinci annual "biggest game/rivalry of the conference" or be part of the Duke-UNC rivalry storyline, or the UK-vs whoever in the annual champions classic matchup, and the choice starts to seem more like a "deciding factor" slowly and surely as the number of those recruiting you heavily gets slimmed down to your top options.

Again, not disagreeing with your premise. This post may not endear itself to our fans but to be real, if I am an unbiased recruit, I am not going to UCONN. Probably UK, Duke, or my local major college team if that is important to me. I don't think we should be expending a lot of energy against these schools, and to be fair, we haven't. Except for when the guy is local, i.e. Hami, of course. I am more worried about beating out the Cuse's, Ville's, UF's etc. and while Cuse and Ville have better quality of exposure, I don't think it would be the most important factor.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Again, not disagreeing with your premise. This post may not endear itself to our fans but to be real, if I am an unbiased recruit, I am not going to UCONN. Probably UK, Duke, or my local major college team if that is important to me. I don't think we should be expending a lot of energy against these schools, and to be fair, we haven't. Except for when the guy is local, i.e. Hami, of course. I am more worried about beating out the Cuse's, Ville's, UF's etc. and while Cuse and Ville have better quality of exposure, I don't think it would be the most important factor.
Agreed.

Reaction Score
Some ratings for comparison:

Last year's SMU/UConn on CBS did a .9.

The Jimmy V Classic 2016 and 2015: .9 Duke/Florida, .7 UConn/Maryland.

Or, Maui, Wisconsin v. UNC this year did a .6.

Last year, a couple ratings: UConn/Gtown 1.0.

CBS triple header: Duke/NC State 1.4, UCLA/Oregon (2nd leg of the triple) did a .8. Ohio St/UConn was a .9.

Even the UConn women, BTW, get higher ratings nationally than the vast majority of P5 schools. .5 or .6.

Reaction Score

UConn rarely if ever beat UNC and Duke for recruits.

It rarely happened. For every Andrew Bynum, there were 10 Deon Thompsons. It's just how it used to be.

Reaction Score
Some ratings for comparison:

Last year's SMU/UConn on CBS did a .9.

The Jimmy V Classic 2016 and 2015: .9 Duke/Florida, .7 UConn/Maryland.

Or, Maui, Wisconsin v. UNC this year did a .6.

Last year, a couple ratings: UConn/Gtown 1.0.

CBS triple header: Duke/NC State 1.4, UCLA/Oregon (2nd leg of the triple) did a .8. Ohio St/UConn was a .9.

One thing difficult to quantify is hype. Even if we are getting eyeballs, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be translating to the same amount of discussion. This is partly anecdotal, but I don't see as as many articles on ESPN (I think ESPN pushing the ACC a little is undeniable, and I am not a cynical conspiracy theorist - it just makes sense for them) or as much discussion on social media amongst "college basketball twitter" or as many comments in reddit threads.

Reaction Score
A couple people have brought up the possibility that PERHAPS Zags covers UK so much is because it gives him a lot of clicks. Guys, it is unbelievably obvious that this is the case.

Probably true, but I think it's fair to question the Canadian pimper's integrity. In that he's demonstrated a lack of it. What is Emmanuel Owootoah up to these days anyway?

Reaction Score
Probably true, but I think it's fair to question the Canadian pimper's integrity. In that he's demonstrated a lack of it. What is Emmanuel Owootoah up to these days anyway?

Yea, those articles were undeniably ridiculous. I'll on Zags as much as the next guy, I just think his rationale for shilling for UK is understandable in a way - clicks matter for him.

Reaction Score
One thing difficult to quantify is hype. Even if we are getting eyeballs, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be translating to the same amount of discussion. This is partly anecdotal, but I don't see as as many articles on ESPN (I think ESPN pushing the ACC a little is undeniable, and I am not a cynical conspiracy theorist - it just makes sense for them) or as much discussion on social media amongst "college basketball twitter" or as many comments in reddit threads.

Likely a result of the lack of being ranked.

Reaction Score
Great content, now we are back on track.
whats worst, back seat modding? or asking what your source is on an inside scoop ? i'm gonna go with both as equally horrible.

Reaction Score
whats worst, back seat modding? or asking what your source is on an inside scoop ? i'm gonna go with both as equally horrible.

Both are very weak but I'll take either over Palatine's "best" post.

BUConn10

Reaction Score

Another early season premier OOC annual event extended without UConn. History shows our teams wouldn't be ready to play in these and just drag down RPI in these events designed to inflate them.

Reaction Score

Another early season premier OOC annual event extended without UConn. History shows our teams wouldn't be ready to play in these and just drag down RPI in these events designed to inflate them.

Because Ohio State is a powerhouse?

Reaction Score
It's 4 top-15 all time programs, what's your point.

Maybe they should have invited San Francisco?

Point is, there are lots of tournaments. UConn is doing JimmyV and the Nike thing next year. It just did Maui. Of all the things to complain about (and in a negative way in a Hamidou Diallo thread, of all places) the lack of tournaments is not the most obvious one.

Nor is TV exposure. Ratings and TV appearances aren't down yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom