Haley Troup verbals to So Carolina | The Boneyard

Haley Troup verbals to So Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Haley is a 5'10" shooting guard that is currently not ranked in the Top 100.

Posters to the So Carolina board are extremely happy with the verbal as she is supposedly a deadly 3 point shooter and expect her to be ranked in the Top 100 shortly.

upload_2016-7-15_19-44-18.jpeg

upload_2016-7-15_19-46-29.jpeg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Haley is a 5'10" shooting guard that is currently not ranked in the Top 100.

Posters to the So Carolina board are extremely happy with the verbal as she is supposedly a deadly 3 point shooter and expect her to be ranked in the Top 100 shortly.
Congrats to them! But...so was Courtney Ekmark, who was also ranked much higher than "just inside or outside" the top 100. In fact, I think she was as high as 8 per ASGR. Also Kortney Dunbar was supposedly a lights out shooter and she struggles to get significant PT for Tenn. My point is, I'm glad they are happy but...I would be surprised if she contributes much...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She fills a need, but I'm not really feeling this sign. Dawn has her strengths, but developing young guards to this point hasn't been one. Honestly I want Dawn to do waaaay better.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She also took officials to Texas Tech and Mizzou this summer. Unofficial visit to Texas last Fall; we may have offered, but with Chasity Patterson's commitment in early June, that may have filled our needs at guard as Troup never took an official to Austin even though her list included Texas pretty recently.

I hope she does well at USC; definitely not the athletes Staley has been recruiting. But, if she can play defense and find the court, her shooting will be a benefit. Or, she may just be a situational player and not one to likely be a starter in her career (based o USC's talented roster).

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
She fills a need, but I'm not really feeling this sign. Dawn has her strengths, but developing young guards to this point hasn't been one. Honestly I want Dawn to do waaaay better.

Tiffany Mitchell?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Tiffany Mitchell?
As well as Tiffany played in college I always thought there was another level she could have achieved. One would think as a guard Dawn would have that as her specialty. But since she's been at SC Tiffany is the best to come out of there and I really feel Tiff left something at the table. Instead it seems that it's forwards that Dawn seems to develop better. That's not to knock Dawn, because I love that woman and as I've said previously, I hope she wins a NC for that fanbase.

Reaction Score
Why is it, based on two pics and being a deadly shooter, that everyone assumes that she is very limited? After viewing the girls U-17s, I wouldn't put too much trust in the current evaluation process. I doubt if many on here have seen her play.

Dawn knows what her team needs. They have struggled offensively in many of their big games. A few deadly shooters should be high on her wishlist.

Reaction Score
Junior Highlights

I just watch 2 minutes of her Junior highlights. She reminds me of a 5-10" version of Kayla Irwin. She is a lot more than a deadly shooter. I was more impressed with her passing, both on the break and in half court offense. She isn't quick but she is determined and I don't see her as a defensive liability. I don't see her as a Dunbar, who just comes in to chuck 25 footers for Tennessee. I think Dawn found a good one for her system.

Reaction Score
Junior Highlights

I just watch 2 minutes of her Junior highlights. She reminds me of a 5-10" version of Kayla Irwin. She is a lot more than a deadly shooter. I was more impressed with her passing, both on the break and in half court offense. She isn't quick but she is determined and I don't see her as a defensive liability. I don't see her as a Dunbar, who just comes in to chuck 25 footers for Tennessee. I think Dawn found a good one for her system.

I agree, she is one heck of a passer...... although with highlight videos you never know how many turnovers she has

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Obviously, when a player isn't ranked in Top 100 nationally by the recruiting services, it raises an eyebrow when they commit to a Top 10 program. Sometimes, the player hasn't played club ball or been seen by the recruiting services, but I don't believe that was the case here.

Regardless, she is unlike any recent USC player than I can remember. Maybe that's a good thing in an evolving offense where better outside shooters are being courted. And, not every player can be a starter, and their playing time sometimes depends on the defensive matchups.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Why is it, based on two pics and being a deadly shooter, that everyone assumes that she is very limited? After viewing the girls U-17s, I wouldn't put too much trust in the current evaluation process. I doubt if many on here have seen her play.

Dawn knows what her team needs. They have struggled offensively in many of their big games. A few deadly shooters should be high on her wishlist.
We all buy into the HS rating process to some extent, until our own coaching staff finds someone to sign that has slipped through the evaluation process. That is why.

And in reality, not making it onto any recruiting service's top 100 in a class is a red flag for a program of SC's stature - because that suggests there are maybe 150 players across all of the services that have caught at least one evaluator's eye more. But ... coaches do a much more in-depth evaluation than any recruiting service so you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Especially this early in the commitment process - coaches have a finite number of scholarships and with only around 20% of the top 50 players having committed using one of those scholarships on an unranked player is a statement of belief.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Different sports, but similar logic. Three current players that were drafted low (5th round or later: Tom Brady, Antonio Brown, Mookie Betts. There are of course many others.

And don't we recall how many eagle-eyed Boneyarders that uttered a "Who?" when names of Kalana Greene and Tiffany Hayes first appeared here?;)

Once again, goes to show how tough (and vitally important) it is to evaluate talent and project future performance at the next/higher level.

Dawn may have spotted yet another diamond in the rough. Time will tell.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Different sports, but similar logic. Three current players that were drafted low (5th round or later: Tom Brady, Antonio Brown, Mookie Betts. There are of course many others.

And don't we recall how many eagle-eyed Boneyarders that uttered a "Who?" when names of Kalana Greene and Tiffany Hayes first appeared here?;)

Once again, goes to show how tough (and vitally important) it is to evaluate talent and project future performance at the next/higher level.

Dawn may have spotted yet another diamond in the rough. Time will tell.
I like it, but just a few thoughts - the pro evaluation process is such a different beast and one where 'analytics' have clouded judgement especially in football - if it cannot be measured with tape or a stopwatch, people don't believe their eyes! Not sure about the others, but Brady specifically did make it to the combine which is in effect the same as being ranked by a recruiting service and is more based on eye test than analytics - it was only after they brought out their tape and stop watch that his 'value' plummeted. Another example would be Welker who had to beg to get a D1 scholarship and had to scramble to get onto an NFL team, and in fact his success has I think changed some of the evaluation process teams now use.

KG and TH fell into the 'who' category because the horde had never mentioned them - they were at the time of offer/commitment already ranked by recruiting services, just not on the Uconn watch 'radar'.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
These rankings are not always accurate. As a sophomore Cara Ursin was the Louisiana POY the same year that Kalani Brown was a senior but Ursin was not even ranked in the top 100. She was the LA POY again last year as a JR and is now ranked 54 by Hoopgurlz. She will most likely be the LA POY again as a SR and I am guessing her ranking will continue to rise.

Ursin has not played AAU ball so she is not getting the attention that she would be getting otherwise. Of all the Baylor recruits for 2017 she is the one that I REALLY want to see Mulkey land. Her athleticism is OFF THE CHARTS and she is relentless on defense. She has the full offensive arsenal and will be the Nina Davis of the 2017 class.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Troup doesn't even have an ESPN Hoopgurlz page. S0 she's obviously slipping under somebody's radar.

I'm excited to have Haley. She's a valuable component of what will be a very important class. We still have two more scholarships to use for 2017.. and we're likely to use them because we will lose a ton in 2018. This class needs to be well seasoned when that time comes.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Troup doesn't even have an ESPN Hoopgurlz page. S0 she's obviously slipping under somebody's radar.

I'm excited to have Haley. She's a valuable component of what will be a very important class. We still have two more scholarships to use for 2017.. and we're likely to use them because we will lose a ton in 2018. This class needs to be well seasoned when that time comes.

From what I've read SC is still in the running for Ursin in 2017. She would fit in great in Dawn's system. I am hoping that she chooses Baylor but I would not be surprised to see her end up at SC. Mark my word, Ursin is the sleeper in the 2017 class. Check out this video. I'm slightly obsessed with this player.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Sometimes coaches recruit players they know will work hard and make good role players. I don't form opinions from highlight tapes because they're like political ads. I like seeing them play in a game, which Dawn has. Besides, as a fan, Haley wants to be a Gamecock and that's good enough for me.

JordyG

Reaction Score
We all buy into the HS rating process to some extent, until our own coaching staff finds someone to sign that has slipped through the evaluation process. That is why.

And in reality, not making it onto any recruiting service's top 100 in a class is a red flag for a program of SC's stature - because that suggests there are maybe 150 players across all of the services that have caught at least one evaluator's eye more. But ... coaches do a much more in-depth evaluation than any recruiting service so you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Especially this early in the commitment process - coaches have a finite number of scholarships and with only around 20% of the top 50 players having committed using one of those scholarships on an unranked player is a statement of belief.
I can give a qualified agree on this. Nevertheless these days players are far more scrutinized and analyzed than they were even during Hayes' time. Perhaps Dawn's new analytics coach was the tipping point in this signing?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley Tweet:

Good am!! A bird is flew into the nest last night. Stay tuned for her announcement within the next few days. #letsgo2017class

Guess they'll get another verbal in the next day or two.

Reaction Score
Greene & Hayes were both top 40 recruits.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
From what I've read SC is still in the running for Ursin in 2017. She would fit in great in Dawn's system. I am hoping that she chooses Baylor but I would not be surprised to see her end up at SC. Mark my word, Ursin is the sleeper in the 2017 class. Check out this video. I'm slightly obsessed with this player.

I like Ursin a lot as well. I think it's between Baylor and SC for her. Has she visited Baylor yet? Officially/Unofficially?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Sometimes coaches recruit players they know will work hard and make good role players. I don't form opinions from highlight tapes because they're like political ads. I like seeing them play in a game, which Dawn has. Besides, as a fan, Haley wants to be a Gamecock and that's good enough for me.

I had a good feeling Troup was going to commit all along. You could tell she really likes SC and wanted to be here. When you have a player that determined, passionate about her craft and wants to be there you can't turn them down... especially when she's actually a good baller.

I like Troup a lot, her game is very much the style of the Mabrey's from Notre Dame, gritty, hardnosed, do it all guards....

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley Tweet:

Good am!! A bird is flew into the nest last night. Stay tuned for her announcement within the next few days. #letsgo2017class

Guess they'll get another verbal in the next day or two.

That tweet was for Troup. Having two commits this early is very abnormal for SC... we're usually the school wrapping up our classes after the season. That said, I don't expect another commit for quite awhile.. since it'll likely be a top 35 player. Grissett was unexpected, most of us saw Troup coming... we have speculations on who's next.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Greene & Hayes were both top 40 recruits.

Very true, but when their names first appeared on this Boneyard - at that time - a very common reaction was, "Who?"

Given the intense vigilance of our current band, that would not occur today. No way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom