Haley Jones to Stanford | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Haley Jones to Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN better sign a Major class next year... the future of the program is at stake. Hopefully we sign a few juco players... we will be even shorter next season a roster of 10 maybe 9 depending on camera comes back.. with her recent knee injury...losing Boston was the biggest blow I never thought Haley would leave California. I’m glad she ended up at Stanford and not South Carolina or Notre Dame. I have a lot of respect for Tara and the Stanford program. Amazing campus , the best education out there.. Haley made the right choice. 2020 or bust.... hopefully juco or grad transfers. Next season is going to be a very long and disappointing season in 20 plus years.. but hopefully Geno signs 5-6 players for 2020... a monster class to get UCONN back on top. Sign height!!!! We need big bodies and the next great PG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juco/Transfers? How well has Geno done with them? Azura was the best, as a scorer,
there were few better when Geno needed a true center. Grad transfers: It takes a typical player over a year to learn the Geno system; remember Nat Butler/Azura?

Geno historically has pulled some rabbits out his sombrero. Lean years for
Geno has been only 30 wins. If a teams fan base cannot accept a mere 30 wins maybe they are cheering for the wrong team.

newsincerity

New Sincerity
Reaction Score
A great day and really exciting time for Stanford.

I'll add that I expect ESPN #13 for 2020 6'4" forward Dalayah Daniels to ultimately join #2 6'4" F Cameron Brink and #37 5'7" PG Jana Van Gytenbeek. That would leave 1 scholarship left, and I do think Stanford is very much in the mix for Paige Bueckers. That would make Stanford "scary good" good.

Although Haley Van Lith is from "Pac-12 country" and said to have a 4.0 GPA, there has not been any chatter about her and Stanford (somewhat surprisingly). And with Jana Van Gytenbeek already committed, Tara might focus elsewhere position-wise anyway.

This infusion of talent looks like it could make Stanford a national championship contender in a way that it has not been since around the '08-'12 era.

I believe Stanford would have been a heavy favorite for ESPN #22/PN #11 and U17 USA Team Member PG Charisma Osborne, but did not have room. Though ranked lower, SG Hannah Jump very much has the outside shot Stanford is known to love and usually flourish with, and "jumped" on her Stanford offer with a relatively early commitment.

Reaction Score
The Sky is falling !!!!!!

People on here can say they don’t want to read negative posts on recruiting or losing recruits but this is becoming a big problem. We are losing out on recruits that Geno clearly spent tons of time and efforts to bring them
Into our program. There is a problem here. From decommits in Collier, transfers AEH, missing on Boston that was such a LOCK to come here, and now a soft class for next year. Not good.
We have two premium players leaving to the WNBA, leaving us with one premium point guard and a bunch of yong kids that are completely unproven. Add in a bench with a few players ( That I will not name) that will never be great let alone solid players.
If u want to mix in an aging coaching staff, and don’t be surprised if shea leaves.
Not good! So what’s going to happen?
Next year is going to be a rude awakening. Do u think the underclassmen can step into prime time and fill pheese and lou’s Shoes? HA!
I’m not saying we’re going to be bad but it’s not going to be a typical uconn year. After that? Who knows? We need to get recruits in here pronto! Transfers to bridge a gap and 2020/21 premium talent. We will see what happens.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
423675257f5790e2288b5c1581aa295d19322cf8e37ede7afd5a766f347fe858.jpg

Reaction Score
Well if history repeats itself Uconn will probably miss out on Paige next year, but land Fudd the following year. Van Lith and Marshall for 2020 would be a good class, anyone else would be a bonus, I think Gusters likely heads to Tennessee or Baylor.

I have a feeling Fudd will go where Bueckers goes, unless Bueckers stays in Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Geno historically has pulled some rabbits out his sombrero. Lean years for
Geno has been only 30 wins. If a teams fan base cannot accept a mere 30 wins maybe they are cheering for the wrong team.
I agree - if the team only wins 30 games then I'm cheering for the wrong team. Fortunately I don't see that happening - with or without Boston & Jones.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I guess Haley Jones going to Stanford is logical from the point that Stanford is still relevant and one of the 3 strong programs on the left coast. That said, as a number 1 rated player, I wonder how much her skills will improved at Stanford. Tara's been to 4 Finals ('90,'92,'08,'10), and to 7 additional Final Fours ('91,'96,'97,'09,'12,'14,'17) so she is as consistent as you can get aside from Geno and Muffet. I look at her top recruits and I just don't see any real improvement. Yes, the two Ogwumike sisters had very good if not great careers at Stanford and other can probably opine better if Nneka or Chiney really improved their games during their time under Tara (my perspective is Nneka did and Chiney evolved a bit). That said, I just haven't seen any other players improve and maintain their lofty McDonald's AA status they had when they entered. For as much as we have watched Karlie Samuelson, she is still just a spot up shooter and did not really evolve her game under Tara.
I also know many have touted the "educational value" of Stanford, which is true for 98% of the students who go their. but for the elite athlete who is top ranked, their future is clearly in the pro's and along that end, did Haley Jones make the right choice? Her sole focus as a top dog is to stay dominant and make it a top 3 pick in the WNBA and stay relevant for USA and International Basketball.
l just think only a few programs offer a "Masters" degree in WCBB to elevate their game. ND, UConn for sure. Even mighty Baylor is questionable now. How much has Lauren Cox really developed? Is she held back by Kalani Brown, is it coaching, is it personal drive? Dawn has coached 1 player so the jury is still out on her.
All said, I can absolutely understand and respect this choice but do not wholly agree with it. Maybe she will evolve her game and stay as top dog. Best of luck to her.

Reaction Score
Not every player has the same next step as a goal.
If the goal is to play for the WNBA or Europe then the EDucation of any school is of no consequence.
Then too even at Stanford, you can drive a player to classes but if those classes don't gel Podunk U is as good. If the player doesn't graduate, which happens with some playing sports, again Podunk is an equally great value.

If the goal is a high dollar education Stanford is great. The Major is important.

Do Uconn fans believe that those players that choose Uconn over Stanford, Duke, Harvard are less intelligent or capable in a classroom? As Geno once said: (Paraphrasing) There are as many working as "Waiting Staff" that graduate from those colleges as there are from Uconn; albeit, working high-class restaurants!"

Choke: We need more ND fans like you. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I think Aubrey becomes the 5th starter, unless Mikayla develops her shot.

Geno believed that 2020 was the better class, but I was hoping for 3-4 elite players from 2019. This is disappointing.

Coombs potential is very high and I believe she shall develop the ability to make the 3 consistently along with a driving layup. Still at this point it is : Potential!

Reaction Score
I love the prospects we have with Mikayla and Olivia in development in addition to the current starting five.

Reaction Score
Coombs potential is very high and I believe she shall develop the ability to make the 3 consistently along with a driving layup. Still at this point it is : Potential!
Geno needs to give Coombs and ONO the bulk of the non-starting minutes. Let them play through whatever dumb stuff that young players do on the court. I would include Batouly in that mix, but she reminds me a bit of Doty where her body is trying to tell her to hang 'em up, so I won't be surprised if she retires from basketball at the end of the season.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Well that would suck with Marshall being a elite player of size who if from NY, Uconn will definitely need some height next class.

Is UConn looking at Kylee Watson?

She's not the tallest but her ESPN profile says 6'2.. but I think she's much closer to 6'3 or a shade under 6'4 judging from a picture I saw of her standing next to A'ja.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
A great day and really exciting time for Stanford.

I'll add that I expect ESPN #13 for 2020 6'4" forward Dalayah Daniels to ultimately join #2 6'4" F Cameron Brink and #37 5'7" PG Jana Van Gytenbeek. That would leave 1 scholarship left, and I do think Stanford is very much in the mix for Paige Bueckers. That would make Stanford "scary good" good.

Although Haley Van Lith is from "Pac-12 country" and said to have a 4.0 GPA, there has not been any chatter about her and Stanford (somewhat surprisingly). And with Jana Van Gytenbeek already committed, Tara might focus elsewhere position-wise anyway.

This infusion of talent looks like it could make Stanford a national championship contender in a way that it has not been since around the '08-'12 era.

I believe Stanford would have been a heavy favorite for ESPN #22/PN #11 and U17 USA Team Member PG Charisma Osborne, but did not have room. Though ranked lower, SG Hannah Jump very much has the outside shot Stanford is known to love and usually flourish with, and "jumped" on her Stanford offer with a relatively early commitment.

Stanford fan? Congrats on the commitment... Jones is a star! Whenever players that I enjoy following along during recruitment commit to other schools it always draws me to those programs so I will definitely watch more Stanford WBB going forward!

Reaction Score
Do UConn fans believe that those players that choose UConn over Stanford, Duke, Harvard are less intelligent or capable in a classroom?

Doesn’t Stanford have a higher SAT standard, or do they ignore that for athletes?

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Jones & Boston!

But what's with all the "Good luck" stuff? You're either with us or against us. And you're not with us. So "Good luck" - you're gonna need it when you play UConn.

Reaction Score
That would leave 1 scholarship left, and I do think Stanford is very much in the mix for Paige Bueckers. That would make Stanford "scary good" good.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard it suggested Bueckers would go to Stanford. Why do you think that would be the case?

Reaction Score
Do Uconn fans believe that those players that choose Uconn over Stanford, Duke, Harvard are less intelligent or capable in a classroom? As Geno once said: (Paraphrasing) There are as many working as "Waiting Staff" that graduate from those colleges as there are from Uconn; albeit, working high-class restaurants!"

Choke: We need more ND fans like you. Thanks.
That's easy: Yes.

Or have applied themselves less in the classroom? Yes. UConn's admission standards are lower, and there are many (most?) UConn athletes who did not meet the Stanford/Duke/Harvard admission standards.

Reaction Score
Is UConn looking at Kylee Watson?

She's not the tallest but her ESPN profile says 6'2.. but I think she's much closer to 6'3 or a shade under 6'4 judging from a picture I saw of her standing next to A'ja.

I believe it’s been reported that Uconn isn’t looking at Watson any longer.

Reaction Score
While we all would have loved her to sign with UConn, this miss makes more sense than the Boston miss. She's a terrific student who wants to stay close to home to play for a top program while attending an elite academic institution. I can't blame her. With that being said, next year's class just become really important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom