Haley Jones to Stanford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Haley Jones to Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lastly ND is in the same boat.. losing 4 seniors all starters and only signed 2 .. theee roster will be 10-9 players. It’s not like ND bench is tearing it up .. Vaughn is having issues coming back from her injury so no one knows what her career will turn out. I think Sam will be a next Kate Westbeld type of player.. consistent but with a outside shot. So the sky isn’t falling A lot of top programs lose a lot ti graduation and a lot of young talent next season. Remember the new NCAA transfer rule no sitting out.. there is always several transfers come end of season so hopefully Geno will have some options...

Reaction Score
Lastly ND is in the same boat.. losing 4 seniors all starters and only signed 2 .. theee roster will be 10-9 players. It’s not like ND bench is tearing it up .. Vaughn is having issues coming back from her injury so no one knows what her career will turn out. I think Sam will be a next Kate Westbeld type of player.. consistent but with a outside shot. So the sky isn’t falling A lot of top programs lose a lot ti graduation and a lot of young talent next season. Remember the new NCAA transfer rule no sitting out.. there is always several transfers come end of season so hopefully Geno will have some options...
Yeah was thinking the same thing with respect to transfers, and think with the one year sit out no longer required, wouldn't be shocked to start seeing more of these top recruits go elsewhere after their first semester or two if they are unhappy.

Reaction Score
Can't beat Stanford. Prettiest campus surroundings, tech friendly, prestigious education. WBB will be competitive for years to come, and her choice confirms it.
You only missed one important factor. Proven coaching preparing player for the next step.yes. UCONN beat Stamford.

Reaction Score
You only missed one important factor. Proven coaching preparing player for the next step.yes. UCONN beat Stamford.

Not every player has the same next step as a goal.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Aubrey becomes the 5th starter, unless Mikayla develops her shot.

Geno believed that 2020 was the better class, but I was hoping for 3-4 elite players from 2019. This is disappointing.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is losing four starters, true, but they have a lot of talented back ups behind them and, unlike UConn, two potential stars in the class of 2019 coming in. Not true that their situation is nearly as dire as UConn’s right now.

Reaction Score
A37E5EEB-E91B-410A-8414-9CE81FD552C2.jpeg

Here’s a picture of Haley from years ago.

Reaction Score
Just makes more room for 2020. With most of the top programs loaded now...players need to go somewhere.. Stanford loaded, South Carolina loaded, Louisville always loaded, Maryland, Mississippi State, Tennessee, all these rosters will have a lot of players, UCONN will be short and even shorter when Irwin, Bent, Dangerfield, and Camera all graduate that’s a lot of room to fill... Geno will have a huge 2020 class!!! Wouldn’t be surprised if we get a verbal or 2 come end of season.. Geno and the coaching staff will be recruiting huge ASAP mode... everyone complained about parity well it’s finally here!! More programs and more top recruits being spread out across the country... but I’m ok with jones going to Stanford ... Boston still hurts

Reaction Score
I don't agree with regard to Brunelle. A Delle Donne reincarnation she ain't. But she's a much more gifted offensive player than Westbeld ever was. An excellent passer to boot. She'll fit there. And they'll have Young, who might be their best player right now. The 2020 and 2021 classes will be of enormous importance to UCONN.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Feel your pain UConn fans free losing top recruits like Samuelson to you guys... so I can empathesize. Not looking forward to the huge gets Geno is going to get the next two years though... great coach and winning tradition is going to attract a lot of great players though.

Any chance UConn will move conferences in the next few years?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Not shocking. Focus is on class of 2020! I think we will still be a top 10-15 team next year as long as ONO develops how I think she will. She won’t be an AA next year but I think she will be a first team All-Confernec type player. Crystal will be best PG in country & CW & MW will have expanded roles. Depth even more of an issue than this year, however. TRUST IN GENO!
Are you kidding?? UConn will be in the top 5 teams, and that is not even debatable! A bad recruiting class (and this one was substandard for UConn) hurts down the road, but certainly not next season. Look at all the talent already on the team! UConn would need copious transfers to drop down that far, and those transfers would have to be starters. UConn will still have Danger and Meg and Chrystyn and ONO, plus Geno's coaching. There is no way they drop out of the top 5.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Is it too late for Magbegor to change her mind?
Wasn’t she the one who got the “don’t go to UConn” ball rolling? Maybe it was Collier....

Collier? Didn't UConn sign the #1 and #5 recruits after Collier de-committed?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UCONN better sign a Major class next year... the future of the program is at stake. Hopefully we sign a few juco players... we will be even shorter next season a roster of 10 maybe 9 depending on camera comes back.. with her recent knee injury...losing Boston was the biggest blow I never thought Haley would leave California. I’m glad she ended up at Stanford and not South Carolina or Notre Dame. I have a lot of respect for Tara and the Stanford program. Amazing campus , the best education out there.. Haley made the right choice. 2020 or bust.... hopefully juco or grad transfers. Next season is going to be a very long and disappointing season in 20 plus years.. but hopefully Geno signs 5-6 players for 2020... a monster class to get UCONN back on top. Sign height!!!! We need big bodies and the next great PG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post of the day!!! Lots of real truth and honesty in your post. Thank goodness for Aubrey Griffin, or UConn would have "whiffed" on the 2019 class. 2020 or bust, I agree. UConn CANNOT go two classes in a row, as you said, without signing some height.

ONO will be "it" after this year. What happens if she starts off slow, or gets hurt, and misses a substantial amount of games? Who backs her up? Camara will be eligible to graduate after this season, and may not return. 2020 had better be a banner year for UConn.

Perhaps Geno will sign a Juco and/or a graduate transfer or two to get them through the 2019-2020 season. Mid-major programs find good (non top 100) players i.e., BIGS to fill their rosters every year. They never compete with the elite programs for the top 100 players. Only one AAC team (Memphis) signed a top 100 player from the 2019 class besides UConn.

I checked, St. Johns does not have a single top 100 player on its current roster, and they are very competitive.
I realize Geno usually doesn't go that route, but these are unusual circumstances, which call for a temporary change in philosophy and approach in obtaining players. Geno usually is able to pull a rabbit or two out of his hat when he needs to. It will be very interesting to see how he handles this.

Query: Can UConn be competitive next season with the present roster (minus Lou & Pheesa) and Griffin as the only addition?

I'm not doing a "Chicken Little" dance here, I don't do that, but things will be critical for UConn they don't get more bodies in here from somewhere for next season. What two reserve players currently on the bench can be counted on to step up to replace Lou and Napheesa? Maybe Geno will get lucky, and have a couple of graduate transfers drop in his lap over the summer. Keep hope alive.

How much help will freshman Griffin be?. I'm not expecting anything from Griffin until her sophomore year. Anything they get from her will be unexpected given how Geno feels about freshman. I want someone to tell me that we'll be OK if Griffin is the only addition we'll have for next year, and why.

If I'm missing something here, someone please point it out. Thoughts, concerns..................... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Well if history repeats itself Uconn will probably miss out on Paige next year, but land Fudd the following year. Van Lith and Marshall for 2020 would be a good class, anyone else would be a bonus, I think Gusters likely heads to Tennessee or Baylor.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well if history repeats itself Uconn will probably miss out on Paige next year, but land Fudd the following year. Van Lith and Marshall for 2020 would be a good class, anyone else would be a bonus, I think Gusters likely heads to Tennessee or Baylor.

Tweets certainly aren't definite proof of anything, but I'd be somewhat surprised if Marshall picks UConn over ND. (and there's more where this tweet comes from).

1543425776716.png

Reaction Score
Tweets certainly aren't definite proof of anything, but I'd be somewhat surprised if Marshall picks UConn over ND. (and there's more where this tweet comes from).

View attachment 36818
Well that would suck with Marshall being a elite player of size who if from NY, Uconn will definitely need some height next class.

Reaction Score
Were going to be taking a backseat for a few years, unless the last couple recruiting classes start to play like they were advertised. What worries me more are the number of recruits decide not to play here or have left the program.

The question I MUST ask you is: What do you mean by "taking a back seat for the next few years"??

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well that would suck with Marshall being a elite player of size who if from NY, Uconn will definitely need some height next class.

With ND and UConn both signing small classes, next year's recruiting just got hugely interesting. Obviously, there are some shared targets like Marshall and Bueckers.

I'm also seeing that some of ND's targets overlap with Oregon's and Oregon is also coming off a quiet recruiting season, too.

It should make for a very interesting 2020 recruiting season with arguably this year's top 3 teams each looking to score an elite class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom