Hailey Van Lith to LSU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hailey Van Lith to LSU

Reaction Score
Lemme check the maps, again, Jeff. (Don’t know why he keeps texting me) Hmm…which is closer to Washington state? Louisville or Baton Rouge? :rolleyes::D
I already did the math, from Louisville to Cashmere, Wa is 2,244 miles (per Google maps) and from LSU to Cashemere, Wa is 2,419 miles....depending on which routes one takes.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Disagree, for me the best teams are 8 talents. UCONN 2002 was Bird-Taurasi-Jones-Williams-Cash. 2001 was even better but for the injuries, the same 5 + Abrosimova & Ralph
2001 was overloaded IMO. It was the 7 mentioned plus Schumacher and Johnson who were regular rotation players. Injuries hurt them but while healthy they weren’t ever as good as the 2002 version despite having more talent on paper. They were blown out by Notre Dame with a full roster and had a close win vs Tennessee at home early on. Chemistry was far better in 2002 when they had a smaller collection of stars and solid support players like Moore/Battle/Conlon.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Angel Reese cannot hit a left handed layup or shoot outside of 5 feet. Edwards is already a better all around player than Reese. Just looked out how Angel looked against South Carolina's front court versus Aaliyah if you want to compare the two. She also performed better against Tennessee. To say there is wide gap in Angels favor is just not reflective of reality.
Eh, I disagree. Edwards is more polished as a scorer but Angel impacts the game in a much bigger way. She is a far better defensive presence and rebounder, plus she stays out of foul trouble, consistently gets opposing teams into foul trouble and doesn’t turn the ball over. Myself and most non-UCONN fans would take take Angel over Aaliyah, just like how most would take Paige over Hailey Van Lith.

Reaction Score
2001 was overloaded IMO. It was the 7 mentioned plus Schumacher and Johnson who were regular rotation players. Injuries hurt them but while healthy they weren’t ever as good as the 2002 version despite having more talent on paper. They were blown out by Notre Dame with a full roster and had a close win vs Tennessee at home early on. Chemistry was far better in 2002 when they had a smaller collection of stars and solid support players like Moore/Battle/Conlon.
Touche. It would be cool to ask Geno or Sue if they feel they were the best team in 01. Or if that year feels like one they should've won. Cuz ppl always say injuries, or DT just had the worst game as her being a freshman kinda caught up to her. But that Notre Dame team kinda had their number. But I see the other side too. The injuries were significant.

But not to get too derailed, I do think Hailey Van Lith, Reese, Morrow could work. I think they all are so different, but at the same time all are effective one on one.

Reaction Score
Eh, I disagree. Edwards is more polished as a scorer but Angel impacts the game in a much bigger way. She is a far better defensive presence and rebounder, plus she stays out of foul trouble, consistently gets opposing teams into foul trouble and doesn’t turn the ball over. Myself and most non-UCONN fans would take take Angel over Aaliyah, just like how most would take Paige over Hailey Van Lith.
Angel is a very good passer as well, underrated in that sense.

Reaction Score
Should be interesting at LSU. With #1 Mikaylah Williams coming in, and Van Lith with 2 years remaining that means Williams will be behind Van Lith for 2 years. Im sure she will get playtime and Van Lith has earned playtime. If Morrow goes to Louisville, well I dont think that will happen. It will me interesting to see how things develop at LSU at the guard spots.
M. Williams will not be sitting behind her. The guards will be Hailey Van Lith, Flaujae and Williams, with Reese and (portal player or Smith/Rosario) in the post

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Well a point guard for one and they also have no depth in their front court. They brought on Hailey Van Lith who's a good scorer but she's not a great shooter and was terrible this past year from 3, and she is turnover machine. They have a lot inefficient ball dominant scorers and some freshman that might be great but it might take a few years to get there.

I think people underrate the role Williams and Morris had for LSU last year but I guess we'll find out.
Smith/Reese/Del Rosario is an excellent frontcourt rotation IMO. They can also play 4 out if needed.

As for PG, my guess is Van Lith takes the reigns, or will share duties with Poole. She has experience and her role will be different from what it was at Louisville. Kim’s last two titles were also led by guards that transitioned from SG the previous year to PG and they were both brilliant in their title runs. Hailey Van Lith has the skills to get it done and Mulkey has proven she provides the frame work to make it happen. Id also look for Hailey Van Lith’s efficiency to improve dramatically in an offense with more structure. She won’t be taking 20 shots a game or expected to carry such a heavy load. FWIW her percentages are quite similar to Morris’s this year.

Reaction Score
If she thinks Jeff is a PIA then wait until she gets to know Kim better.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Touche. It would be cool to ask Geno or Sue if they feel they were the best team in 01. Or if that year feels like one they should've won. Cuz ppl always say injuries, or DT just had the worst game as her being a freshman kinda caught up to her. But that Notre Dame team kinda had their number. But I see the other side too. The injuries were significant.

But not to get too derailed, I do think Hailey Van Lith, Reese, Morrow could work. I think they all are so different, but at the same time all are effective one on one.
I’m sure they thought they were the best team that year, but they were never the clear cut top team in 2001, when there was never any doubt in 2002 which is part of why I think 2002 was better than 2001.

I’m regards to the last part, I think it’d be really entertaining to see how it plays out. You’d have 3 of the most prolific scorers in the country on 1 team so roles would change drastically and require a lot of unselfishness from a group of players with big personalities and NIL deals.

Reaction Score
I’ll give you Reese being a far better rebounder and interior defender but Edwards can defend almost every position on the court, Reese cannot defend well around the perimeter. You are also wrong about Reese staying out of foul trouble, she fouled out of 2 NCAA tournament games and she averaged 2.5 fouls per game last year, 3 fouls per game the year before and 2.5 the year before that. That's slightly higher that Aaliyahs career fouls per game. They also have similar turnover numbers, they both turn it over a lot for post players.

I have no doubt that most non-Uconn fans would take Angel over Aaliyah but I don't think that means she's the better basketball player. Aaliyah has more qualities I personally value in a basketball player and objectively can do more things at a high level than Reese can. We'll see how they both develop over the summer but if Aaliyah can add a three point shot to her resume I don't think Angel will still have the popular vote. I also think the gap is much smaller than Hailey Van Lith and Paige regardless. Closer to Paige vs Clark imo.

Reaction Score
Smith/Reese/Del Rosario is an excellent frontcourt rotation IMO. They can also play 4 out if needed.

As for PG, my guess is Van Lith takes the reigns, or will share duties with Poole. She has experience and her role will be different from what it was at Louisville. Kim’s last two titles were also led by guards that transitioned from SG the previous year to PG and they were both brilliant in their title runs. Hailey Van Lith has the skills to get it done and Mulkey has proven she provides the frame work to make it happen. Id also look for Hailey Van Lith’s efficiency to improve dramatically in an offense with more structure. She won’t be taking 20 shots a game or expected to carry such a heavy load. FWIW her percentages are quite similar to Morris’s this year.
I personally don't think Del Rosario is going to contribute for a year or two, from what I've seen of her. I think it will take her a year to adjust to the speed of the game at the college level. Big's especially take a bit of time to adjust to the college game. Even if I'm wrong, a 3 man front court rotation is far too short with someone as foul prone as Reese IMO. I expect them to pick up another big in the transfer portal for this season.

Van Lith averaged more turnovers than assists this year playing point at Louisville, compared to Morris who has always had a pretty good assist to turnover ratio. Everything you described that you expect to happen is a pretty big leap collectively in the offseason. Yes if Hailey Van Lith improves her shooting percentages significantly, improves her passing, decreases her turnovers, and is ok lowering her usage rate and playing 2nd or 3rd fiddle in her senior year, sure she could be as good as Morris. But those are a alot of if's and best case scenarios.

Reaction Score
Pat Summit, are you joking?

Its a bit premature to put Staley ahead of Mulkey imo.
I don't think so. Even with this player movement, Dawn has still signed 2 #1 recruiting classes in the past 3 years and this year she has tge #2 recruiting class. Though unknown at the starting roles, SC will have 10 McDAAs on the squad presently and one in Chloe Kitts, who was USA Basktball alum and would have been a McDAA if she had not started college early. Kim has recruited well, and benefited from the massive amount of basketball talent in Texas when she was at Baylor. I think behind Geno. Dawn is right there in it recruiting wise with Mulkey, but Dawn has proven to keep the majority of her talent on her team with few if any transfers recently. just my humble opinion

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I personally don't think Del Rosario is going to contribute for a year or two, from what I've seen of her. I think it will take her a year to adjust to the speed of the game at the college level. Big's especially take a bit of time to adjust to the college game. Even if I'm wrong, a 3 man front court rotation is far too short with someone as foul prone as Reese IMO. I expect them to pick up another big in the transfer portal for this season.

Van Lith averaged more turnovers than assists this year playing point at Louisville, compared to Morris who has always had a pretty good assist to turnover ratio. Everything you described that you expect to happen is a pretty big leap collectively in the offseason. Yes if Hailey Van Lith improves her shooting percentages significantly, improves her passing, decreases her turnovers, and is ok lowering her usage rate and playing 2nd or 3rd fiddle in her senior year, sure she could be as good as Morris. But those are a alot of if's and best case scenarios.
Reese amidst some games with foul trouble still was able to stay on the court 34 minutes per game (36 per game in SEC play) which is a huge number for a post player. Adding depth is helpful but having a player like that on the court almost every minute negates the need for ample depth. Especially since LSU can thrive with a 4 out lineup with their plethora of guards and wings. I haven’t seen much of Del Rosario but know she’s a top ten recruit. Time will tell, though they still might pick up Morrow or another big from the portal.

In regards to Van Lith, not much needs to change. Her percentages are extremely similar to Morris’s from this year and Hailey Van Lith knows she isnt going to carry the same load she did at Louisville and her responsibilities will be different. There will be an adjustment period adding her into the lineup and establishing her role, but she seems like the perfect puzzle piece that LSU needed to fill Morris’s void. She’s a proven commodity, consistently plays well in big games and has the personality and toughness to fit in on the roster.

Before Hailey Van Lith most had LSU pencilled in at #2. I don’t see it as a big jump having them be in contention for #1 now that they added in arguably the top transfer in the offseason.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I don't think so. Even with this player movement, Dawn has still signed 2 #1 recruiting classes in the past 3 years and this year she has tge #2 recruiting class. Though unknown at the starting roles, SC will have 10 McDAAs on the squad presently and one in Chloe Kitts, who was USA Basktball alum and would have been a McDAA if she had not started college early. Kim has recruited well, and benefited from the massive amount of basketball talent in Texas when she was at Baylor. I think behind Geno. Dawn is right there in it recruiting wise with Mulkey, but Dawn has proven to keep the majority of her talent on her team with few if any transfers recently. just my humble opinion
Who has transferred out of Baylor? Both Kim and Dawn are unquestionably 2 of the best but I think you’re hard pressed to find others who’d put Dawn over Kim in the all time ranks right after Kim doubled up Dawn in titles.

Reaction Score
What about the all-time games won leader?
I’d put Kim over Tara based on her winning at two separate schools, having a better win-percentage and doing so in half the time it took Tara. I also just think she’s the better Coach as well.

Orc

Reaction Score
Now watch, LSU will repeat as Champs. Thanks a lot. :D

Agreed. They are heavy favorites for next year. Uconn has only Edwards in the post AGAIN. I dont think the freshmen centers will contribute much. They rarely do now at Uconn

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I’d put Kim over Tara based on her winning at two separate schools, having a better win-percentage and doing so in half the time it took Tara. I also just think she’s the better Coach as well.
The only reason why Kim has a better win percentage is because she always plays more cupcake teams every season than all of the top 3 winning coaches combined. If Kim played the same teams that Geno, Tara, and Pat played, she wouldn't have half the wins she currently has. I wonder if she is going to schedule any top 10 non conference teams this year?

Reaction Score
The only reason why Kim has a better win percentage is because she always plays more cupcake teams every season than all of the top 3 winning coaches combined. If Kim played the same teams that Geno, Tara, and Pat played, she wouldn't have half the wins she currently has. I wonder if she is going to schedule any top 10 non conference teams this year?
Is Stanford’s any better?

76B95D06-AD92-44E1-B96F-8EA3E3CBB14C.jpeg

Reaction Score
LSU appears to me to be a toxic environment for players....results will not prove me right or wrong, but if you let players go off the wall on social medias, it makes the college they play for look bad.
It depends on what type of player you are. Kim rarely recruits soft or thin-skinned players. She recruits confident players who are going to thrive in a tough and challenging environment. That right there is the main key to her success as a coach.

Reaction Score
Who has transferred out of Baylor? Both Kim and Dawn are unquestionably 2 of the best but I think you’re hard pressed to find others who’d put Dawn over Kim in the all time ranks right after Kim doubled up Dawn in titles.
Uhh we were talking rankings as a recruiter. I see you really belive in this LSU team and that is your perogative, but even though she double dawn up, she has not beaten her the last four times she has played Dawn, either with Baylor or LSU. Dawn is still formidable and still has a formidable roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom