Guys - just breathe | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guys - just breathe

Reaction Score
People seem to be on edge lately. There‘s a lot of sniping and bickering these days, can we please stop?
In answer to the question, I guess that's up to any given user. And the administrators.

Aside from that, I see plenty of felicity in the hundreds of comments posted week in and week out. Is there sniping and bickering? Well, I suppose on occasion; but it is pretty much drowned out around here by the milk of human kindness. So . . . I'm not bothered. Sports fans are a lively bunch, often possessed of an impressive array of information, filtered through passion as well as intelligence. (Anyone who's ever sat in a bar in Boston and bitched about the Red Sox over the decades must surely be familiar with the experience.) I only speak for myself: I like spirited dialog, even if punctuated by sarcasm, a harsh word, a curt turn of phrase, back-handed riposte and the like. America is the melting pot of the smart aleck (from Mark Twain, to H.L. Mencken, Dorothy Parker, Bob Hope (yeah, I know, born in London), right on up to George Carlin, Joan Rivers, Norm McDonald, Chris Rock, . . . you name it). I say, "bring it". If you've got a sharp opinion, want to spar, etc., then let's have. There's an easy response if one is deemed to have crossed the line: silence. Otherwise, I don't really see the problem.

I'd rather be exposed to views I despise, then be deprived of the right to be offended.

Reaction Score
In answer to the question, I guess that's up to any given user. And the administrators.

Aside from that, I see plenty of felicity in the hundreds of comments posted week in and week out. Is there sniping and bickering? Well, I suppose on occasion; but it is pretty much drowned out around here by the milk of human kindness. So . . . I'm not bothered. Sports fans are a lively bunch, often possessed of an impressive array of information, filtered through passion as well as intelligence. (Anyone who's ever sat in a bar in Boston and bitched about the Red Sox over the decades must surely be familiar with the experience.) I only speak for myself: I like spirited dialog, even if punctuated by sarcasm, a harsh word, a curt turn of phrase, back-handed riposte and the like. America is the melting pot of the smart aleck (from Mark Twain, to H.L. Mencken, Dorothy Parker, Bob Hope (yeah, I know, born in London), right on up to George Carlin, Joan Rivers, Norm McDonald, Chris Rock, . . . you name it). I say, "bring it". If you've got a sharp opinion, want to spar, etc., then let's have. There's an easy response if one is deemed to have crossed the line: silence. Otherwise, I don't really see the problem.

I'd rather be exposed to views I despise, then be deprived of the right to be offended.
Unfortunately, the number of people who think this way seems to be shrinking...

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score

I'm sorry, one of the moderators has asked for a little less sniping and bickering. Why would anyone that has joined this forum and therefore agreed to the rules of the moderators and admins have a problem with the request? Just to be argumentative? I don't get it...:eek:

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, one of the moderators has asked for a little less sniping and bickering. Why would anyone that has joined this forum and therefore agreed to the rules of the moderators and admins have a problem with the request? Just to be argumentative? I don't get it...:eek:
I absolutely agree as to the first statement.

As to the second statement, the Boneyard Rules request civility. I regard spirited dialog as consistent with that, even if peppered with playful invective and perhaps even frustration and irritability. In any case, in my judgment I've seen little on this wonderful forum for any cause for alarm. In so far as there are relatively few breaches of protocol, I can only paraphrase Samuel Johnson who, upon finishing his famous dictionary was apparently visited by a small delegation of London's respectable womanhood congratulating him on having omitted all "indecent words" from his celebrated lexicography. Dr. Johnson responded: "And ladies, I congratulate you for having endeavored to look them all up."

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score

As to the second statement, the Boneyard Rules request civility. I regard spirited dialog as consistent with that, even if peppered with playful invective and perhaps even frustration and irritability. In any case, in my judgment I've seen little on this wonderful forum for any cause for alarm. In so far as there are) relatively few breaches of protocol, I can only paraphrase Samuel Johnson who, upon finishing his famous dictionary was apparently visited by a small delegation of London's respectable womanhood congratulating him on having omitted all "indecent words" from his celebrated lexicography. Dr. Johnson responded: "And ladies, I congratulate you for having endeavored to look them all up."
Yet one of the moderators has seen some things and you don't seem to understand that.
I personally don't care about what you have seen or how you feel about it but I respect what HuskyNan posted and will do my best to do as she requested, even though this "conversation" with you seems like bickering. And I am betting that you want to have the last word...so...

Reaction Score
Yet one of the moderators has seen some things and you don't seem to understand that.
I personally don't care about what you have seen or how you feel about it but I respect what HuskyNan posted and will do my best to do as she requested, even though this "conversation" with you seems like bickering. And I am betting that you want to have the last word...so...
I understand perfectly well the posted position. I simply do not entirely agree, for reasons stated. I am happy to have a conversation about that—one that is respectful, engaging, responsive and does not seek to have the last word. I am sorry if you don’t share that commitment.

Reaction Score

I have to say, this was a fun post to read!

Reaction Score

I understand perfectly well the posted position. I simply do not entirely agree, for reasons stated. I am happy to have a conversation about that—one that is respectful, engaging, responsive and does not seek to have the last word. I am sorry if you don’t share that commitment.

Kinda ironic given the topic ?:cool:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
You guys are sneaky, I didn't realize this turned into a song thread! :)

I got one to add.

Reaction Score
I think you are nuts. But if you think you are nuts, then we are in agreement and all is good again. Right???? ?
Hey! i could just take my ball and bat and go home! :p

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

As to the second statement, the Boneyard Rules request civility. I regard spirited dialog as consistent with that, even if peppered with playful invective and perhaps even frustration and irritability. In any case, in my judgment I've seen little on this wonderful forum for any cause for alarm. In so far as there are relatively few breaches of protocol, I can only paraphrase Samuel Johnson who, upon finishing his famous dictionary was apparently visited by a small delegation of London's respectable womanhood congratulating him on having omitted all "indecent words" from his celebrated lexicography. Dr. Johnson responded: "And ladies, I congratulate you for having endeavored to look them all up."
You don’t see it because it’s gone. Some posters cause the mods a tremendous amount of work, hence my post.

While you may not mind being called a moron, most do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom