Gus/Raftery on Saturday? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gus/Raftery on Saturday?

Reaction Score
I'm scared of the 2 major floppers in Samuels and Gillespie I really am. Bouk likes to finish through people and Samuels likes to fall like a ton of bricks no matter. We need the ref trio to make them play defense Saturday.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If I have Raf, I don't need Bilas.

Really liked Bilas when he first started but he's the opposite of Raft. The more I heard Bilas the less I liked him. Not exactly sure why. I think some was his advocacy for policy and changes to the NCAA and CBB, but I can't pinpoint it.

Raf? The more you hear of him, the better.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Really liked Bilas when he first started but he's the opposite of Raft. The more I heard Bilas the less I liked him. Not exactly sure why. I think some was his advocacy for policy and changes to the NCAA and CBB, but I can't pinpoint it.

Raf? The more you hear of him, the better.

Raf has never been a pompous know-it-all dookie. Bilas has a very matter of fact way of speaking which rubs me the wrong way. Raf just seems to enjoy the game. Onions!

Reaction Score
I talked with someone who worked at CBS when Raf was there and they said every single person in that newsroom had a story where they went out after work for a couple drinks with Raf and every single one of them showed up hungover as heck the next day. And when they walked in, there was Raf already in and looking sharp in a nice suit and tie, all shaved and ready to go.
And they all have stories for their grandchildren too...

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Nothing better than when those 3 did the old BET.

McDonough and Bilas are cream of the crop, right next to Gus and Raft.
Last couple times I heard Bilas, I felt like he'd gotten annoying as hell in his old age. Time was he would keep his ACC/Duke homerism in check. Not quite so strict in that regard any longer, IMHO.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
This is gonna be the big one in the conference for years to come

Edit: Look at us getting the best commentators for games in primetime where as we would have been thrown on espn+ with some college kid interning from his communications class commentating for AAC basketball
Say that son, we all know it's true. AAC Best hype game would be v. Houston or Memphis this year and obviously Cinci generally, off year this year, off-coach???

BIG EAST HYPE GAMES w/ the trimmings: Outstanding overall FOX product, with significantly better broadcasting talent.

Call it a NE quirk, but love tri-state former Big East analyst guys like Tarik Turner and of course Donny Marshall. Those guys have seen the same offensive sets and ran those sets (to some degree) repeatedly and both offer keen player insight, educating fans on what to look for throughout the game, which most fans love.

BOX OFFICE RIVALS: Gus and RAF games
Nova
Seton Hall
Creighton

Great weekday Events (certain for Sportscenter highlights)

Providence (local, vintage Big East)
St. John's - same, plus we can claim NYC outright
Xavier (could be a rivalry if past recent history indicates)
Marquette: Former Big East member, not an OG. The games have historically been extremely exciting and well played. Never forget A.J. Price's deadly ankle-breaker sending McNeal crumpling to the floor. Price, in true "And 1 fashion" pointed at him and most importantly made the shot.

Reaction Score
All the big guns are out on FOX on Saturday!

Connecticut @ 10 Villanova, 1:00, FOX - Gus Johnson, Bill Raftery

5 Illinois @ Minnesota, 3:30, FOX - Tim Brando, Stephen Bardo

Arizona @ 17 USC, 6:00, FOX - Joe Davis, Jim Jackson

Reaction Score
All the big guns are out on FOX on Saturday!

Connecticut @ 10 Villanova, 1:00, FOX - Gus Johnson, Bill Raftery

5 Illinois @ Minnesota, 3:30, FOX - Tim Brando, Stephen Bardo

Arizona @ 17 USC, 6:00, FOX - Joe Davis, Jim Jackson
Where's
200.gif

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The Velveteer?

of all his stuff last game, the play at 33 seconds on the highlight vid sticks with me the most, by far, since that game. on the d stripe, he reaches down for the loose ball, pulls it out, turns, then gets to the basket on three dribbles, right, left, right, lay-up.
that's right, almost 3/4s of the court, only 3 bounces, fully defended, cookie. nutz.
anyballer, anytime, anywhere seeing that would say, 'whoa, whoa, whoa...wait, hold up...what?'
goofy announcer guy, 'oh my goodness! James Bouknight, like he was shot out of a canon!'
freakin ballet is what it is. 3 bounces, hoop. nutz.

Reaction Score
As excitable as Gus makes it, Raf's partner in Providence slathering over Bouknight the other night, will be impossible to match. Whoever that was, was more excited than me.

Eric Collins. The play-by-play announcer for the Charlotte Hornets, he would get equally excited on a telecast when Kemba would go off during his time in Charlotte. One of the better announcers on the circuit. PC fans complained the whole game about him because of how excited he was with everything Bouk did.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Rafferty has lost a lot. His age is catching up.
I agree. I didn't realize it was him at first. No spunk. High pitch growling voice. As much as I liked him, i think they just gave him a job. He is a classic.

Reaction Score
James using a Sunoco screen-Moving his puppies past the Bigs-Elevates with a kiss off the glass-And one. Oh my goodness!!Kid has onions, doesn't he Gus?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Say that son, we all know it's true. AAC Best hype game would be v. Houston or Memphis this year and obviously Cinci generally, off year this year, off-coach???

BIG EAST HYPE GAMES w/ the trimmings: Outstanding overall FOX product, with significantly better broadcasting talent.

Call it a NE quirk, but love tri-state former Big East analyst guys like Tarik Turner and of course Donny Marshall. Those guys have seen the same offensive sets and ran those sets (to some degree) repeatedly and both offer keen player insight, educating fans on what to look for throughout the game, which most fans love.

BOX OFFICE RIVALS: Gus and RAF games
Nova
Seton Hall
Creighton

Great weekday Events (certain for Sportscenter highlights)

Providence (local, vintage Big East)
St. John's - same, plus we can claim NYC outright
Xavier (could be a rivalry if past recent history indicates)
Marquette: Former Big East member, not an OG. The games have historically been extremely exciting and well played. Never forget A.J. Price's deadly ankle-breaker sending McNeal crumpling to the floor. Price, in true "And 1 fashion" pointed at him and most importantly made the shot.

Yikes. Put the poor kid on skates. I remember that. U see sticks on the bench going crazy? Love it. That Marquette squad was loaded that year too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree. I didn't realize it was him at first. No spunk. High pitch growling voice. As much as I liked him, i think they just gave him a job. He is a classic.
Are you kidding? Did you have the sound on? He was great last game. He picked up everything real time.

Reaction Score
This is gonna be the big one in the conference for years to come

Edit: Look at us getting the best commentators for games in primetime where as we would have been thrown on espn+ with some college kid interning from his communications class commentating for AAC basketball
I was semi against the move back (was wrong because it hasn’t hurt football), but this 100% true. The FOX package is awesome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom