OT: - Guitar question | The Boneyard

OT: Guitar question

Reaction Score
Hey BY. I’ve recently been told by one-too-many friends that I should pick up a hobby. After some thought, I’m thinking that I’d love to teach myself the guitar.

That being said, I vastly prefer electric guitars to acoustic ones (have a few months experience playing acoustic, but nothing lasting). A few questions:

1. Can I feasibly begin teaching myself to play on an electric guitar vs an acoustic?
2. What equipment (i.e. guitar, amp, headphones, etc) is best to purchase given a budget of about $1,000?
3. Slightly ignorant question here: could I play (to some degree at least) bass guitar riffs on a regular electric guitar. For example, could I play the Back in Black riff on a regular old electric guitar, at least to some degree?

Thanks!

Reaction Score
Hey BY. I’ve recently been told by one-too-many friends that I should pick up a hobby. After some thought, I’m thinking that I’d love to teach myself the guitar.

That being said, I vastly prefer electric guitars to acoustic ones (have a few months experience playing acoustic, but nothing lasting). A few questions:

1. Can I feasibly begin teaching myself to play on an electric guitar vs an acoustic?
2. What equipment (i.e. guitar, amp, headphones, etc) is best to purchase given a budget of about $1,000?
3. Slightly ignorant question here: could I play (to some degree at least) bass guitar riffs on a regular electric guitar. For example, could I play the Back in Black riff on a regular old electric guitar, at least to some degree?

Thanks!

If I were you, I'd look for an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul made in Japan on Ebay, but they go for about $1,000. Then I'd buy one of these: Fender Champion Champ 600 5 watt Tube Guitar Amp 6 Inch Speaker | eBay

You might find one for cheaper.

And finally, a Suhr Riot Overdrive pedal: New Suhr Riot Mini Distortion pedal Suhr Mini Riot distortion pedal | eBay

I like this setup because the guitar is pro quality, & it can be easily modded, as can the amp if you ever really take off with your guitar playing. The guitar, if not already modded, usually needs new pickups electronics over the Japanese stock stuff. The amp just needs a pre-amp tube and if you like a small speaker. The amp mods will cost under $100 and the guitar mods about $200.

As for teaching yourself, it's easier than ever to do it online with apps that teach you basic exercises for chords/leads.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Go to this exhibit at the Met (ends October 1):

One of the features is a room with four flat screen TVs above the complete rigs of four different guitarists: Eddie Van Halen, Keith Richards, Tom Morello and Jimmy Page. Each artist gives a five-minute or so interview describing his rig and how he came to play guitar the way he does. As you might imagine, there are as many approaches as there are guitarists, and Tom Morello in particular gives good insight on the amount of practice it took him to "catch up" because he started playing much later in life than the others; but he also talks about how he created different sounds with his unique approach. They are each fascinating imo. Keith is hysterical.

The entire exhibit is probably 80% guitars, with some epic, historic pieces from all of the biggest names. If that doesn't inspire you, nothing will. There is also a lot of other interesting stuff there. Plan to spend around two hours, and try to get there within the first half hour that it is open to avoid peak crowd times.

Listening to and seeing music is probably my greatest hobby, and all my life people around me told me I should learn to play an instrument. I got an acoustic guitar around seventh or eighth grade and took lessons, and I practiced a bit but not enough. I grew tired of practicing and have rarely picked it up since, and I've since concluded that I love being a fan and a listener, but that doesn't mean I would love playing. I still think about it though; more often these days I think I'd try piano if I do it again.

tl;dr: Practice, practice, practice

Good luck!

Reaction Score

yes. personally, I think it's easier. If you don't want to ruin everyone's ears when you're starting out, get an amp with an output (most will have one) and a decent set of headphones.

I'm self taught. I'm not good by any means but I'm good enough to enjoy it. If that's all you're looking for, there are so many resources that self-teaching isn't difficult at all.

Reaction Score
First thing you should do is listen to 8893 and get to that exhibit at the Met, it's phenomenal.

There's plenty of people who have taught themself to play, but you'll get better much faster if you take private lessons. Even if you only take them for a couple of months to get the basics down, it will help you in the long run. I've been taking private guitar lessons for over 7 years and can't recommend it enough, it's a lot of fun and a great way to de-stress.

As far as equipment goes, ask 100 guitarists and you'll get 100 different answers. Tough to argue with Upstater's recommendations, they're all good ones. But it really comes down to how it feels, along with the kind of music you want to play. An overdrive pedal is a must for anyone who likes their rock and roll to go to 11, but if you're not into that sound you'll never use it. My recommendation would be get yourself to Guitar Center and play a bunch of different guitars in your price range and see what feels right in your hands.

If you've got $1,000 to spend can get some solid equipment. You'll get a lot more for your money if you get something made in China like an Epiphone or Squire. I just picked up a Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster for around $400 and it kicks butt. You'll essentially get a guitar that's 95% as good as the American version for a fraction of the price. The Classic Vibe Telecaster is also a great guitar. You could pick up one of those and a great beginner amp for around $300 (Fender, Marshall, Vox and others make solid equipment in that range) and you'd have money left over for a few lessons. Not sure how the Guitar Center people are where you live but here in NYC they're really knowledgable and friendly. Keep in mind they'll also work with you on the price, especially if you're buying a couple of things.

Reaction Score
Definitely give it a shot. I self taught in the dorms of UConn. Never looked back. One of my favorite hobbies/coping skills. I wouldn’t buy an expensive guitar until you realize you actually enjoy playing, but you can get amazing guitars under 1000$.

Reaction Score
If you ever want to learn how to play guitar, stay away from Guitar Hero. If you are just starting out, I suggest starting with an acoustic guitar....it's all you need...no amps, no headphones, no effects processors to get in the way of learning, and you can play it anywhere. I would stay away from pretty much any Guitar Center in CT...If you do go to a Guitar Center, ask for an unopened box guitar...the ones on the wall are anywhere from slightly used to abused and being sold for new retail.

If you are truly looking to get an electric, the Classic Vibe guitars that FatElvis mentioned are tremendous values.

Reaction Score
For budget allocation, get the best ($) guitar you like. I've played several, but currently still have / like the Jeff Beck Strat w Luce pick-ups (min squeals at volume). Also a '59 LP, and a PRS. You can start w a cheapo amp (small Fender / Marshal / Vox / Peavy), and if you like the results, move up later. After you learn a few chords, etc, get a tab for a song u really like and study that. Nothing like some early success / satisfaction. Effect pedals can become a muti-year research project, but if the amp doesn't provide a distortion you like, pedals by Boss are not a bad place to start. In that case, perhaps a clean voiced amp like Fender may be best.

Can't remember the name of my first electric, but it was a cheapie. I remember sore fingers from poor neck alignment and crapppie strings. Spare yourself of that.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Here's my suggestions:
Guitars: Fender, Gibson, Ovation (acoustic/ electric), Epiphone, Gretsch, Ibanez
Amps: Fender, Behringer, Vox, Kustom, Peavey.

My next suggestion - go to a few area music stores. Explain your situation. Ask for recommendations. Look for string height off the finger board. The closer the strings to the finger board, the better. 15 watt amp is good enough to start with. You can always upgrade later. Ask if they give lessons. Learn to read the music!

Don't forget the extras - guitar strap, patch cords, picks, tuner, headphones, probably a music stand, guitar case, extra set of strings.

I started teaching myself starting at around 16. Had already been playing the trumpet since I was 10. Taught music in the public schools for 33 years in CT. Retired now. I play in a 15 piece swing band and an 8 piece backup band for Motown styles vocalists here in Florida. I'm the lead trumpet/ flugelhorn player. I have also filled in a few times on guitar and on bass. I have an Ovation, Fender acoustic 12 string (my favorite), an Epiphone Les Paul and an Ibanez bass.

Bottom line - purchase what works for you and enjoy the process of learning to play. For me it has been a lifelong process and I wouldn't change it at all. I haven't played this much since I was in college and I enjoy every moment - including practicing almost every day! BTW - my wife is also a musician and we have her grand piano (Mason Hamlin) in the music room along with her electric keyboard (Roland).

Reaction Score
A good set-up by a skilled guitar tech will cure almost any issues regarding string height and the finger board. I have honestly been through a good many guitars and I'm a firm believer now in the value created by specific makers in specific places at specific times. I could put my Elitist up against 10 Gibson Custom Shop LPs and mine would be better built than 3 or 4 of them. That being said, I really like Sledog's advice about staying away from the cheapies. When it comes to electrics, your progress can really be killed by a cruddy guitar. When my kid showed interest, I bought her a lower end guitar, and she made little progress. It was only after sneaking away with my guitar over a span of a couple weeks that she made really fast progress.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Thanks!

You can learn on either. No difference really.

Guitar, amp, a good cord to go from your guitar to the amp, picks, a case for your guitar. Eventually you’ll probably want pedals, but hold off on that. I’d recommend getting a used guitar...youll get better bang for your buck. The Mexican made stratocasters and telecasters from fender are good and won’t cost a ton. You won’t need an amp with a ton of watts unless you wanna gig so I wouldn’t spend a ton there...just something decent

Reaction Score
Also, consider the G&L tribute series guitars....they come up on Musicians Friend Stupid deal of the day quite often and are often regarded as superior to mexi strats.

Reaction Score
I took up the Bass 2 years ago... I started as self taught but then took lessons for a year until work commitments got in the way. As soon as I free up I will take them again as a good teacher will push your limits and help you improve immensely.

I would recommend private lessons to start you on the right track then switch later if you want. Although I did the self teaching for only 2 months, I had picked up some bad habits and did not learn the right way. Easily resolved with lessons.

As for your question regarding Bass lines-you can do on guitar as the Bass strings are tuned the same as the 4 low strings on guitars (E-A-D-G),

Reaction Score
I’ll come at it from a much dumber angle.

I got a cheap acoustic and followed online lessons for a couple months. Justin Guitar. I learned how to tune a guitar and I learned two songs. I dropped it when life got a little busier but stare at it and will pick it back up.

So yeah. You can teach yourself enough to get to a level and if you want more you’ll have the foundation.

Reaction Score
You can buy a Fender Stratocaster and an amp for about that price. The strat is very versatile (rock, blues, reggae). It doesn't have to be made in America. I have an MIM strat, and the action is as good as my MIA strat.

As far as the amp goes it depends on the music you want to play. I assume you will be playing at home, so you won't need much more than 10-15 watts. That lowers the price quite a bit. The Fender Mustang is a great modeling amp. The Yamaha THR10 series is great too, but you have to know what kind of music you want to play, as the different models offer maybe 5-6 different sounds. They are very small, and plenty loud for the home.

Either way, you should try the guitar (and amp) out at a music store. That way you can feel the guitar out, and hear the amp out as well. If you like the guitar, see if you can get a better deal online. I have gotten great deals on new/used guitars at places like ebay, reverb, and sweetwater.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Here's a dumb question...

My wife is a lefty and has recently expressed interest in doodling with an acoustic. Does she need a left-handed guitar?

I'm a righty...would I be able to use her guitar?

Reaction Score
I get that you prefer electric but it is generally better to start on an acoustic. It is a little harder to play cause the strings can be harder to push down, but it will create better player. Buy an acoustic for 400, sell it for 300 a year later and it will pay you back in spades. You’ll be a cleaner player then you can go to electric. If you do go right to electric def go with headphones. The only thing worse than someone learning to play the guitar is a beginner with a loud amp.

You can totally learn to play by yourself. There is so much on YouTube and Tabs HD to the point where the only thing to get between you and your progress is desire.

Good luck.

Reaction Score
Here's a dumb question...

My wife is a lefty and has recently expressed interest in doodling with an acoustic. Does she need a left-handed guitar?

I'm a righty...would I be able to use her guitar?

Tell her to learn right-handed. I am left-handed and it only took a couple weeks of playing until it felt very natural. To be fair I was 8... haha. But I took lessons for years and played through college all the time. Never had a problem.

Reaction Score
I play mainly acoustic...but have an electric & amp.

There are available on line lessons that are pretty good. They have the advantage of allowing you to practice with instruction on your time schedule night or day. Google reviews of on line guitar lessons.

Beware....a guitar may become addictive. Buy too cheap and if you stick with it, you will just buy a better one...buy too expensive and lose heart, you will be out money.

Or you can go like me...just buy them as art objects (LOL) whether you need them to play or not...

Acoustics...Martin D28, Breedlove Concert Moonlight (Mahogany=Sitka), Breedlove Stage Concert (Rosewood-Sitka)...and a Michael Kelly hybrid elecric acoustic (spalted maple).

Reaction Score
And

...play a guitar in a shop before buying...they will feel and sound different to your ear (not as much so with electrics). Follow your ears.

...guitars come with primarily two widths of nuts (string spacing). The 11/16 is narrower than the 3/4. Find the spacing that feels right for your fingers/style of play. Almost all electrics have the narrower spacing.

...buy a electronic tuner...you will use it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom