Guess the Brady Suspension | The Boneyard

Guess the Brady Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Equipment Violation...
Premise: Hockey = 2 minute minor
Premise: Baseball = 10 games (1/16 season)

Conclusion: Anywhere between 15 yard penalty & 1 game suspension for Brady (that he'll probably serve in the preseason.). Either way, the NFL looks bad in the short term.

So...Under.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Aaron Rogers admitted to the same crime and got nothing. So I would say nothing.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Aaron Rogers admitted to the same crime and got nothing. So I would say nothing.
Actually, he didn't. The investigation wasn't to determine if the Patriots submitted under inflated balls. They probably did. The Refs are then responsible to check the PSI and adjust either way to get it within spec. prior to game time. The investigation was supposed to be commissioned to determine whether the Patriots deflated the balls AFTER the Refs approved the balls. It appears they did.

Whether Brady was probably generally aware, I believe is up for debate.

Whether the refs actually did their job, I also believe is up for debate. The refs were exonerated why too early in my opinion, especially given the facts that 1) they don't document the pregame PSI and temperature and 2) They lost the footballs, and 3) The NFL was informed of this potential issue up to a full 24 hours ahead of time.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think Brady lied and I hate the Patriots.

I still think this is much ado about nothing and he will just get fined.

Reaction Score
I think Brady lied and I hate the Patriots.

I still think this is much ado about nothing and he will just get fined.

Lied to whom? Was he ever under oath?

Did he lie to the media? If so, so what and who cares. No group in this country deserves more disdain/distrust than the media. By the way, my feelings about the U. S. media which, I realize border on the irrational, go back to the reporting on the Viet Nam War. As bad as the agenda driven ass holes were then, they're worse now.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Lied to whom? Was he ever under oath?

Did he lie to the media? If so, so what and who cares. No group in this country deserves more disdain/distrust than the media. By the way, my feelings about the U. S. media which, I realize border on the irrational, go back to the reporting on the Viet Nam War. As bad as the agenda driven ass holes were then, they're worse now.

To the investigators.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Token fine, no suspension. I'm a Giants fan and even I think this investigation has been a crock.
Me too. Just another topic for the retired jocks on ESPN to sputter about.

Reaction Score
As a Patriots fan I supported them in this deflategate affair. Nevertheless, I don't condone what appears took place with Brady's knowledge/concurrence. Still, regardless of whether you view the whole deflated footballs incident as inconsequential or apocalyptic, I find myself less concerned if Brady "lied" to the media or even stonewalled league investigators than if he misled his owner. Brady's assuring Kraft he was in no way involved led to the owner's bold pronouncement for a public apology from the league. Placing the guy who pays your salary in a position to be embarrassed is not a prudent tactic. Kraft is like a second father to Brady.
So when the meeting takes place between Goodell and Kraft and a fine is levied and/or a draft pick is removed, there will be the expected public response about a fair or unfair consequence. But when they come to the issue of punishment for Brady, I believe Kraft will quietly acquiesce to whatever suspension the league feels is warranted. There will be no objection from him on that score.

Reaction Score
I scoff and roll my eyes with disgust every time someone even mentions or suggests suspension. Only way this would be remotely worthy of a suspension would be if they had anything more substantial than just probability. Just slap him with a fine and be done with it. Any talk about suspension is absolute garbage, and typical anti-Brady butt hurt. Slap him with a "hefty" fine if the league wants to make an example out of him, and move on. I'm a Giants fan and have zero allegiance with the Patriots or Brady, but this whole thing is the very definition of a witch hunt. Goodell would put on full display how much of a spineless, power hungry coward he truly is if he caves to this faux-outrage and suspends Brady for something this vague, convoluted and frankly obsolete to the outcome of the season. Not even close to a suspend-able offense, especially with nothing more than hearsay.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think a suspension looks pretty inevitable at this point. I would guess only 1 game though, two at the max.

Reaction Score
While I don't like it, and agree that this may be overreaching by the league, there is no doubt in my mind that given the "optics", Brady will be suspended for at least one game, probably two.

Reaction Score
League has no credibility, Brady and the Pats have no credibility. Whatever happens will just make everyone look bad.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
League has no credibility, Brady and the Pats have no credibility. Whatever happens will just make everyone look bad.
Agree. Given the information that was available the way out was:

1) Assert the possibility of post measurement tampering, but note that there is insufficient information to make a determination of tampering;

2) Note that ball deflation amounts with the range of possible weather effects, noting that both Patriot and Colts ball lost pressure;

3) Be critical of the refs handling of the situation - should have documented starting pressure, should have measured all balls, should have used single gauge, should have listed measurements sequentially, etc. noting that their failure to do so prevents a determination of whether tampering occured; and

4) Announced new ball control procedures, keeping the balls in the possession of the refs post measurement, standardize the ball air presure measurment, procedures, etc. that would prevent post measurement tampering from occurring in the future.​

NFL really screwed the pooch with that report. I'm suprised that an attorney would have made that his final work product on the matter.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
NFL really screwed the pooch with that report. I'm suprised that an attorney would have made that his final work product on the matter.

It doesn't surprise me. After 2 days of listening to Boston, CT, and NYC sports radio it finally dawned on my that the Wells report is a prosecutorial strategy being used as a judgment. Who paid the bills for the report? The NFL. Independent? I think not. The intent of the report is to, "Protect the Shield." How? Place blame on anyone other than the NFL. It is quite obvious that the Wells report cherry picked what "evidence" they chose to include in the report and it seems to me that more than a few assumptions contradict each other. It should be presented to the NFL, but now, I think Brady should be able to conduct their own investigation as a defense.

The whole thing is ridiculous as it is, but the NFL allowed it to spin out of control. They brought it upon themselves and they should be responsible to see it to its logical conclusion. That won't happen, of course, but it should.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Aaron Rodgers plays for Green Bay. Brady for New England. The league likes to punish the Patriots for activities every single team engages in. Two games.

Reaction Score
No suspension. If the initial penalty includes a suspension, it would be wiped away in any sort of appeal/legal proceeding because this case has no shot in front of an independent arbitrator or judge.

Reaction Score
In a perfect world, he would be suspended, fined and the team to forfeit a draft pick due to integrity issues. But this is not a perfect world - as witnessed by the most recent draft, which looked like a police drama with the rap sheets associated with many of the picks. So, lets turn a blind eye to abusing women, committing crimes, etc., and let's penalize the guy associated with playing a ball that was slightly deflated. The NFL is starting to look like the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Who cares? Once again the Pats abscond justice. I predicted this is what would happen. The NFL essentially passed the buck from the Pats org. to Brady and a couple employees when we ALL know this starts at the top. So now prissy Brady will get 4-6 games at most (which wouldn't matter anyways because the Patriots annually have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL), they'll make the playoffs again and it's no skin off their back. They won't lose $ or a draft pick.

Whoopde-f'in-doo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog